Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage EVENT CANCELLATIONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

"Due to concerns over the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the Los Angeles County Fair has been canceled for only the second time in its nearly 100-year history, officials announced Thursday.”

“The LA County Fair will go on a hiatus, with no spin of the Ferris Wheel, no farm filled with animals and no legendary bands in the Grandstand this September,” states a news release from the Pomona Fairplex, where the event is held every year. The event was slated to be held between Sept. 4 and 27.”

“The LA County Fair is an iconic event that celebrates the best of Southern California. It is beloved by many. But we had to take into consideration the health and safety of everyone. The Fair closed during World War II from 1942 to 1947. It also closed for the day on Sept. 11, 2001, but reopened the following day, officials said.”

Hello,

In 1956, my brother and his friends with their hot rods left high school by any means, to go the 90 mile round trip to the L.A. County Fair in Pomona, CA. It is now called the Fairplex grounds. They learned this tradition from their older friends who took their hot rods to the same County Fair in September all during their high school days. It was just something to do and celebrate the Fall high school season. Plus it was s good day to ditch all classes for a road trip with teenage friends.

A myriad of typical cars made the road trip to and from the Fairgrounds. In those early days, they just left school after the first period roll call hour. Then they were free and clear. The forging of parental illness notes were prevalent upon return. Jump up 4 years and when it was our time to do the annual road trip to the L.A. County Fair, we had better ways of getting those parental signature notes.

Our group’s parents knew each other and respected the decisions each set made for their own kids. So, we used that notice to say, “ Well, Dennis’s mom is writing an illness note for last Friday’s school absence. With the mention of Dennis’s mom, my mom jumped right in and wrote an certified excuse note for me on Monday morning. (herd mentality at it finest... “Junji’s mom and dad wrote him a note…then it just blossomed. )

Jnaki

Usually there were three to four teenagers per car, including those girls that did not have transportation. That made the pairing up easier, three in the front bench seat and three across in the back of most cars, 56 Chevy, 55 Chevy 57 Chevy and my 58 Chevy Impala, plus a bunch of Ford coupes and sedans. For all of us, that started 64 years ago with our older brothers.

The annual road trip started well beyond that early date with the previous teenager group going back to the original decision to ditch school to go to the L.A. County Fair. Our oldest friends have memories back 8 years earlier than that 1956 starting date for us. Our Long Beach High School has history going back to 1909 from its beginnings. The County Fair? Only a 100 years old…

Sorry for the current crop of teenagers as, “Another one bites the dust…” But, they get to stay home and go to school. That is good and bad...

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jroberts

jroberts

This year's Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet to be held in
    Chattanooga has been cancelled.

3. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

San Diego Swap and show May 31....
    "Due to the pandemic the May Moto-Swap has been postponed. We are hopeful we may be able to do it in July, if not, We will skip to Sept".

4. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

For you swap meet guys around Western Pa and NE Ohio
    Randolph OH June 7th is CANCELLED
    Big Butler Swap meet (old Pittsburgh Parts A Rama swap meet) RESCHEDULED FOR Sept 11-13th

5. aircap

aircap

The Lake Afton All Wheels Rally and Car Show at Lake Afton near Wichita, KS has been cancelled. The scheduled date was Sunday, June 14th.

6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-20_5-2-43.png

Hello,

Our pre-locked in place lives have been very busy with friends and family stuff. My wife and I used to go all over So Cal to different car shows and hot rod gatherings. South to San Diego and North to Santa Barbara were our road trips. As our lives and family expansions have just gotten a little hectic, changes were made. When our granddaughter was born, we were the daily grandparents who retired to be with her and take care of business until her parents came home after work.

It was the time of our lives. 5-6 days a week, living in our house for 4-5 days a week with a newborn, then toddler, then, preschool, and constantly “on call” for any emergencies that may arise. It was a job within our retired time frame that kept us jumping and very busy.

So, since we still liked old cars, we tried to attend several big name events at this early time period. We were overwhelmed at the mass of humanity that showed up to a local car show and one that was 50 miles away. This Forties Unlimited event was nearby where my wife lived in Buena Park, and grew up since 1957, so we attended several very early ones for old time sake. Her parents had already moved out of that old Buena Park home, but drive by viewings were always fun to compare the changes.

We were obviously partial to the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery model. As the years rolled on, those on display were getting pretty outstanding. The people we met were very nice and there were some old people we used to know from way back then. For some reason, we have not attended every single year and we talked about it prior to this “locked in place” situation showed up. It was a long drive and in June, on the coast is foggy with a sprinkling of cold overcast days. But, driving inland 40 miles, would have us prepare for hot weather anytime in June/July. We distinctly remember “20 somethings” living in Buena Park and staying in front of a household A/C for hours.

Jnaki

We are saddened to find out that almost everything is locked up and stored away until further notice. That means we probably won’t see it again for at least a year.

For an event like this or any major gathering of hot rod people and cars, social distancing is hard to set up and regulate. Then the OC won’t have new cases despite those politically oriented protesters at the beach. Who wants to be next to them, anyway?

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  7. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

Ohio governor just cancelled the ohio state fair for end of july ---
    don't look good for good guys ---but they say its go ???

impala4speed likes this.
  8. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Speedway Motors coffee cruise for MAY 30 canceled ...please observe upcoming dates JUNE 27. AUG. 1, AUG. 29, SEPT. 26, OCT. 31

10. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

EVENT RESTART. Cars and Coffee Lexington is a go for the first Saturday in June.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  12. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Same with the MoPar Nats. They say it’s still a go for Columbus in second week of August.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tri5 Nats Bowling Green, KY cancelled and rescheduled until 2021.

14. 40Vert

40Vert

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-23_5-57-56.png

PART TWO: AT THE LIONS MUSEUM
    upload_2020-5-23_5-58-19.png

Hello,

The So Cal location of the Lions Dragstrip Museum and Lions Foundation works is temporarily closed. We all know why. There was supposed to be a car show in June, but that, too is cancelled until further notice.

As much work that took place on the original grand opening back in 2017 and the total remodel to include the giant later starting line scenario in 2019 re-opening is now history. But, once it reopens, it will be pretty cool. I was fortunate to be able to wander around (pre-show set up days) when there were a few people in the whole museum complex, looking at the cool stuff and adding to my photo collection. It was a little eerie as history was right in front of me while walking down the aisles and into the museum displays. Then the whole chilling body effect takes over and it is a sight and sound wonder to experience in the actual Lions Dragstrip Museum.

Jnaki

So, if you ever get a chance to come out West to So Cal, this place is a definite stop on your itinerary. It is not just a car display, but a specific display of history that we in So Cal have grown up and enjoyed while it lasted. We were the early birds and there are tons of people with different times and years that have their own history. It is all shown in the great display of history of Lions Dragstrip and the cars that were there every weekend.

It is a place not to miss, but only after this crisis is over and things get back to normal. When there are no restrictions and we are safe to wander around, that is how to see this place. Don’t rush the back to “somewhat normal” when people are still sick and susceptible all around us.

16. impala4speed

impala4speed

If they can cancel the Ohio State Fair I can't see them (the state of Ohio) allowing the Goodguys event to happen. Was looking forward to going again but it's for the best I'm sure.

17. The Sega event in London Ky on June 6th, anybody know if it's racers only or are spectators allowed in? Screenshot_20200524-123402_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200524-123356_Gallery.jpg

18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Never heard of this event but it’s about 1.5hrs south of me, if it’s a go for spectators And good weather I’ll be there.

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The Hot Rod Reunion is the week after this so we'll see if they pull the plug on it too.

20. @scotty t text me today that the promoters verified spectators are permitted. I'm in the process of trying to get off work :D

chryslerfan55 and 65pacecar like this.
  21. Go if you can. You will not be disappointed.

chryslerfan55 and TA DAD like this.
  22. Yeah I've watched them at clay city, good times, awesome cars :D

23. jim snow

jim snow

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hoping the HRR takes place August 20-22. Still have my fingers crossed about the NSRA Nats being held in Louisville early August. Haven't seen any comments one way or the other by the NSRA.

25. The Wheels Of Time Jamboree in August 28 to 30 in Macungie , Pa. has been cancelled . Macungie Park has cancelled all events for the remainder of the year ! This would have been 42 years for the show .

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  26. jim snow

jim snow

This stinks. A great show. Snowman

chryslerfan55 and Hank37 like this.
  27. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

Leake Collector Car Auction in Tulsa has been canceled. I’ve met a few HAMB-ers who attend as spectators; looking forward to seeing you in Tulsa next year.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

29. southerncad

southerncad

Just saw where Hershey has been cancelled!

maneri likes this.