Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deleted in customs because a 66 frame is late model?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by thebluelion, May 16, 2020.

1. thebluelion

thebluelion

Have I missed a guideline some place? Honest question. I had my thread on my unsafe steering system deleted before I could read the responses this morning for being "off topic" due to "late model frame swaps".

I have a 1953 3600 with a 1966 chassis. A quick scan through the forum in customs shows multiple vehicles of 60s vintage, along with topics involving 60s technology and parts. The topic of my thread was power and manual steering options and how to make my steering safe. What did I do wrong?

The forums mission statement says " We wanted to be the voice of the working man, a tool in the toolbox of the guy that does it himself"

Im not understanding how deleting my thread achieves this.

Screenshot_20200417-111209_Gallery.jpg

2. That frame is the same 60-66. I don't have a dog in the fight but it must've been something other that the frame brother.

thebluelion likes this.
  3. I thought the frame was a 64. HRP

4. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Well to help answer your earlier question, on a 66 frame there is an aftermarket bracket available to allow you to bolt in a 73-87 GM truck power steering box. I think it's available from Brother's or Classic Chevy.
    If you want to keep your original column, then you'll have to cut the steering shaft, and get a u joint adapter to fit the steering box.
    You can also add the intermediate shaft from the 73-87 GM truck to give you a collapsible column.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 likes this.

5. thebluelion

thebluelion

I found the partial vin on a frame rail, driverside near steering box. 6Z152956. From what I read the first digit is the second digit of the build year.

Thor1 likes this.
  6. thebluelion

thebluelion

Thanks man. I looked into it and I pulled the trigger on a rack and pinion from POL along with tubular arms, disc brakes, and a sway bar while keeping the 66 cross member. Im going to experiment with an MR2 electric power steering pump.

I dont think this forums going to work out for me, I wasnt aware it was a purist site. All the members I talked with were super cool and helpful and I appreciate everyones help!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Hang around there is lots of knowledge here, I think a lot of us have cars/interests that are off topic for here, just don’t post about them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1, 41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

You gotta watch yourself around here. Only certain vintage is legal to post about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hombre

Hombre

I DO NOT have a dog in this fight, but with that said have you read the rules of what is and is not allowed on the HAMB. Your post above is a prime example of stuff that is NOT allowed on this traditional Hot Rod and Custom site. What part of any Rack and Pinion is traditional to this era car or truck? Not to mention the Electric Power Steering Pump, these items simple do not belong on the site as post about your car or truck. If the truck in your Avatar is the truck in question then it for sure is welcome here by the the owner of the site and the Moderators, you just will not be able to talk or post about the modern aspects of the build. Man that's not really that hard to do, but if that is too strict for you, maybe the HAMB is just not your place. I hope that is not the case. There are a couple of hundred of the thousand's of members who are in the same boat as you are, they enjoy the HAMB and just omit post's about some of there stuff, I know I have to do that from time to time, it's not that big of a deal really.

bowie and Thor1 like this.