Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1927 T Coupe Windshield Hinge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, May 17, 2020.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I am helping a buddy restore his T Coupe. Our problem is with the windshield hinge weather stripping.
    I don't have weather stripping on my hinge in my T Coupe so I have no idea.
    We don't know how it is supposed to fit. We don't know if it is supposed to slide in to the rail or if it lays flat on top and we punch holes for the 1/4 x 20 screws.
    How does it fit?

I have attached some pics.
    1. Hinge with out weather stripping.
    2. Hinge with weather stripping started in the channel.
    3. Hinge with weather stripping laying flat on top.

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I feel your pain.
    I have a two 26 coupes, one is an old hot rod with no rubber installed and the other I am building now. The header panels and frames are the same so there should be no variation by year from 26 to 27.

I purchased the rubber and had trouble also working out how the hell it fitted.
    If I fitted like it looks you are considering with most of the rubber sandwiched between the header and hinge, I could not get my frame to fit top to bottom as the rubber appeared to be too thick.

I decided to pull the whole thing forward and have some rubber hanging over the top of my hinge which worked out OK and seems to give me a seal of sorts.
    At least my frame did not bind on the top of the cowl as it was doing earlier.
    I have attached a couple of pic's of what I did.
    Now don't laugh if it is wrong...

I must say it would be nice on occasions if the Suppliers of these items could put a small diagram in the packet with the rubber or whatever item they are selling as a guide to how it fits.

Attached Files:

MMM1693 likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a similar hinge on the back door of my teardrop trailer where the hinge slides in the full length. How would water get past the hinge? I think you guys are over thinking the issue.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not over thinking. There is supposed to be a gasket. Water gets in my coupe with out the gasket in mine.
    Now we're going to do his right and then do mine when we get this figured out.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Looks like you did it right. I found this for the 30-31. Look at post #18 diagram.
    How The Hell Do You Hang a Model A Tudor Windshield Hinge?
    Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NeedFiber, Jan 19, 2012.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for sharing the diagram and I am glad my install was in the ball park so to speak.
    Yes, you need a rubber gasket not only because that is what was used originally but when driving highways speeds the wind pressure will force water in.
    Good luck with your frame install.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have people telling me that there is no seal for the hinge, some saying that it doesn't matter if there is one there or not, some saying that they don't have a seal but they get water leaks.
    I guess if there wasn't supposed to be a seal for the hinge they wouldn't make one.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the information I am working on my windshield now and really don't need any additional leaks!

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'm pretty sure the pic with your thumb in it is the correct position.