Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC intake ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedtwin, May 16, 2020.

1. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

Thanks fort the info Gary.
    I have a mildly worked early 283 and plan to run a Edelbrock 1404 500cfm.
    Although I spoke to a local guy the other day who said the Holley 390 worked well on these little v8’s. So I may look in to that as a choice - and guess what..............this guy actually had one he needed to sell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. carbking

carbking

As long as you physically seal the exhaust ports, your home-made adapter should work (other than messing with your idle, which it will if two inches tall).

I have seen original Carter AFB's (the real AFB's, not the clones) from engines where some "mechanic" did not install the stainless steel plate (or block the holes) with the lower part of the casting melted completely through to the bowls.

Jon.

olscrounger and Speedtwin like this.
  3. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had a 327 with that intake and the 4-jet carb. It was one of the sweetest running sbc's I ever had and was a runner upstairs also. For a mild street sbc, the 4-jet was the perfect deal. JMO. Lippy

Speedtwin and olscrounger like this.
  5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I know no one wanted my opinion on a carb, just trying to maybe steer him away from 1-800 carb. The edelbrock syndrome I call it. And remember usually the older original carbs are already jetted real close. LOL. Lippy

olscrounger likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that is a 250HP 327 intake. The 300HP one is more solid on the sides vs the hour glass shape.

Speedtwin and Speed Gems like this.
  7. carbking

carbking

Just a suggestion:

I understand that Ebay carbs often are less than they could be, but not all Ebay carbs fit that category; plus there is a good "classified" section of this forum. Might be worthwhile to continue looking.

The larger CFM carburetors, even if the bolt pattern is the same, require the adapter to be used with that intake manifold because the carburetor manufacturers moved the center-line of the carburetor bores further apart (side to side) to allow for larger throttle butterflies. If no adapter is used, then the larger plates, and the mismatched alignment of the plates will cause the plates to not fully open.

Even with the adapter allowing the plates to fully open, the AFB carburetor, whether genuine Carter or the modern clone, will NOT function as well as either the original 4-GC Rochester or WCFB Carter. If you follow NASCAR racing, think restrictor plate racing. But additionally, the adapter forces the A/F mixture to change direction, which it really does not like to do. The direction change reduces the total flow.

For best results with the AFB (genuine or otherwise), an aftermarket manifold or an original Chevrolet manifold designed for the AFB or Holley should be used.

I also understand the futility of finding parts for a vehicle not manufactured in one's country of residence. Prior to being bit by the "buy American" bug, I had a plethora of English and Japanese sports cars (try finding a rear engine mount for an XK-120 in podunk Missouri ;) )

But patience (and the internet) is your friend.

Jon.

Speedtwin and olscrounger like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

At the very least, the Offenhauser adapter will give you an idea of how to do it. There you go! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Speedtwin likes this.