Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pics of 33 and 34 ford grill mounting tabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 17, 2020.

1. Anyone have pics of the tabs and mounting arrangements

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't seem to find what you want on my phone. If no one posts it up let me know and I will go out to the garage and shoot what you need!

3. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Bump. Also interested.

4. I assume you want them for a car. These are on a truck. It might help you see how they mount, but the truck and car tabs are different. At least, this will give you a bump up..
    34 radiator tabs.JPG

5. Yep that’s a truck, I have those.

56don likes this.
  6. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I can take some pictures after work if nobody beats me to it. It will be later this evening.

7. deuceman32

deuceman32

Here are the 34's. the lowers double as hood latch receivers:

[​IMG]
    The 1933,s look like these:

[​IMG]

These images from The Early Ford Store under "hood latch/grille mounting brackets"

8. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I don't have the top ones he has pictured. The grill bolts on by the radiator cap area 20200518_164014.jpg 20200518_164335.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. deuceman32

deuceman32

On this 34. you can see the brackets hanging on the rad but they need to be swung to line up with the empty holes on the grill and the missing hardware installed;
    View attachment 4690947

Like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course there are also four machine screws up at the rad neck area holding the grill (and also the front hood hinge bracket) to this bracket on the radiator:
    [​IMG]

And then there are the inner fenders tying the lower grill sides to the frame.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looky what I found on my phone. I hope these are in the right location. I remember installing one wrong and having to change it when I added the grille (no Bueno!).
    upload_2020-5-18_21-51-12.png
    'Couse mine are chromed
    upload_2020-5-18_21-52-1.png

11. deuceman32

deuceman32

That looks good. I can't seem to fix my red x's so we'll go with yours.

12. So bracket no down here?
    Looks like those who came before me lowered the brackets from their original locations
    DB62B37E-B1B7-406D-BE02-EA605E43654C.jpeg E5D235F6-F678-4B6C-A9F9-89C579139BFE.jpeg
    Thanks !!

I’m working on a very nice glass car with all kinds of really neat trick build stuff everywhere you might look.
    There’s some goofy stuff too, like these damn radiator brackets in the wrong spots. Custom steel hood and sides nicely done but odd mounting. The car was built with an original radiator and it’s given up the fight. The walker radiator is nice! Not “exactly” the same but nice.

I’m guessing since the FG grill shell is at least 10 times thicker (maybe 20 times thicker) than the steel shell is the majority of the problem.

They have everything grill mounting related welded, it appears the brackets are 34 style, the upper and lower mounting brackets switched in position used to mount a 33 FG shell. And thanks to you guys I now know why.
    they shorted the mounting feet of the radiatorbecause the corners of the upper tank interference the thick shell. They moved the radiator back as far as possible to make/ get the face of the thick shell in the right spot. That’s the start of multiple problems. There’s ample meat in the shell to relieve it enough in the most offensive spots.

This being my first experience with a FG shell I’ll say they are great wall hangers.

RICH B likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is another shot of the grille mounted. I drew a line to the lower bracket mounting screw. It goes through the inner fender and into the lower radiator bracket. You cant see the bracket from this angle as it is behind the inner fender (and headlight).
    upload_2020-5-19_10-41-56.png
    Those 2 extra bolts above the middle bracket are just bolt heads I cut off and JB welded in place to cover the superfluous radiator holes. Those holes would have held the bracket shown in the post above. That is for the forward hood latch receiver I believe. I don't have hood sides so...add the fake bolts to cover the holes.

Attached Files: