Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '52-'54 Ford door spring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly, May 17, 2020.

1. Specifically, the rear doors.

How does one disassemble the spring mechanism in order to be able to get the door off the car? I've tried making a tool that holds the spring collapsed that allows enough slack to maybe knock the pins/rollers out, to no avail.

I'd kinda like to keep these functional after all the other work is said and done.

My collection of old "MOTOR manuals" rescued from the college library trash bin years ago seem to have been pilfered through and anything related to this car is missing...I guess I could order a reprint of a shop manual for 52-54 mainline/customline cars but it'd be nice to have the information today while nobody has honey-do lists for me, ya know?

I'll post this in the ford group I'm in on here as well...just thought with more eyes seeing it, the odds of someone with knowledge about it might just be in my favor...just a bit. :p

2. This is what I'm dealing with Screenshot_20200517-171058.png

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad had a hand valve spring compressor that would do it, I believe it was for flat head inline engines but could probably be used for other springs like yours. It had 2 forks attached to a scissor like device with a 3” cross knob on the end you turned to collapse the springs and for you, pull it the outer pin .

hillbilly likes this.
  4. I went and downloaded the shop manual for kindle from amazon, but there's nothing about these springs in there that I can see! GAH!

I guess I'll drill out the welds to take this thing out and either make it a bolt-in type setup, or weld it back.

Thanks y'all :)

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look up vintage flat head valve spring compressor or Briggs flathead valve spring compressor. After seeing the Briggs, I'd make one. Your springs are not heavy duty.

6. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Look in the 52-59 Ford social group. I just posted an answer for you.

hillbilly likes this.