Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tri 5 Chevy Two Tone Parting Line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 16, 2020.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I like that too!

2. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a similar '57 I saved a picture of from somewhere, and my dad's 57 210 right before I put the front bumper back on. Hard to go wrong, they're such pretty cars to begin with. Too many are ruined with SUV donk wheels when simpler choices would be better.

57ba02-vi.jpg
    IMG_4374.JPG

alfin32 and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A friend in high school had a two toned 56 Chevy post sedan. The car was nice, but the bottom color was an Aqua and it looked too much like a family car and not a hot rod. So, we tried different designs like you are going through. He thought he liked the white top and it was hard to see the rest of the colors with that Aqua staring us in the face. There was already a black and white 55 two door post sedan in our group, so he wanted something different.
    upload_2020-5-17_4-9-49.png
    We thought that the center column and the rest of the downward posts are all the same color and not a little line on the roof for the white top. So, if the area below the windows are red, everything above the top of the door line is white. There is no little funky line without any reason to be there and everything has a purpose.
    upload_2020-5-17_4-10-34.png
    Even as nice as the original green and white 56 sedan looks overall, there is that simple paint line that looks out of place. Unless of course, you only want a small white top for the two tone look despite that little paint line.
    upload_2020-5-17_4-11-7.png
    Picture this all red 56 two door post model with everything white from the top down to the top of the doors and window. That would make a nice two tone combination. The look would be one of a kind, with other white/red two tone combination of the roof only with that small funky division between the colors showing up everyday.
    upload_2020-5-17_4-11-42.png

Jnaki

If my friend’s two tone 56 Chevy was a white and red, he probably would have kept the 56 Chevy sedan. But, as impatient for a teenager to have something different, he decided to put in white tuck and roll in the full interior and carpeting. Then because of the split paint decision, he had the 56 two door painted one cool looking, solid silver paint color. Now, it was a mild custom hot rod and a daily driver.
    upload_2020-5-17_4-12-22.png
    If you post on the photoshop thread, maybe @themoose, the resident expert, could add in all red below the window line and paint the wheels black with red rims. Also, if it is possible, put it on a mild Cal Rake.

4. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I really didn't know what to expect, but that is a super nice car. I am unable to see the paint color, but it looks flawless. Plus the coast to coast dependability factor is a huge plus. My 55 started out gypsy red with India ivory for the top. It was painted "Del Ray" style from the factory. Not sure on the paint line on it, maybe the same. Thanks for posting pics. Enjoy the car.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd try the dog dish caps without painting the wheels red, first....see how you both like it. Painting wheels body color works better on cars that have a more subtle body color.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Damn that is a good looking car. Does it look as good closeup? Good find either way. :)

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

We're liking the look of how the factory matched the wheels to body color vs the black. I'm not going wild on the paint. Just rattle can until a more Hot Rod looking wheel can be decided on.

It's not 100% perfect in appearance. But it's a solid car and that what's more important.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Even as nice as the original green and white 56 sedan looks overall, there is that simple paint line that looks out of place. Unless of course, you only want a small white top for the two tone look despite that little paint line." @jnaki

True but that's how it was done back then. I'd love to do the whole roof, A B and C pillars, trunk and rear 1/4 belt line area white but I don't want to blow this car apart to do it. I don't like masked off moldings. I will however comprise that dislike of masking to just the roof as described in the beginning of this thread. It's still a BIG maybe. She's liking the all red and to do just the top white still will not give that 100% His and Hers look to match my 56.

cheepsk8, loudbang and jnaki like this.
  9. CME1

CME1

That is a beautiful Red 1956 Chevrolet. I would leave the car all red with black steel wheels, chrome trim rings and dog dish caps. And add wide white wall tires. You can't go wrong with a red car. But that's my opinion!:)

loudbang likes this.
  10. Special Ed

Special Ed

Here's a close up of the solution I used on my own car to deal with "...that simple paint line that looks out of place"
    [​IMG]

loudbang, jnaki and Johnny Gee like this.
  11. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

@Johnny Gee , looks like you have lots of ideas to choose from. I found this 55 on Ebay a few years ago and saved the pic for exactly what you are doing. This would be my car paint scheme if I ever did go back original. Under the satin black paint is this combo exactly, plus the fact that it came out with a six/auto makes me think that it may have had the same wheel treatment. If I read up on it right, this was the popular "Del Ray" paint and midway through the year, it became a paint option on other models. My wife was born into a 55 sedan family with the same scheme, making it more appealing to me. DSC09029.jpg

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's bad ass!. I did the same thing (less the squiggle) under the hood of my 56. My firewall is black and I used a dark blue pin stripe to divide it from the Nassua Blue. I drove the painter nut's because he wasn't getting how I wanted the two colors to divide in shape/design.

loudbang likes this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 55 DelRey with the same exact paint scheme cheepsk8 shows. Have seen other stockers where the white was down to the lower chrome strips along the top of doors and 1/4's

loudbang likes this.
  14. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If this hasn't been mentioned already , pick a white that is not to " white " .
    GM used whites that were a little off from pure white .
    My 55 Del Rey was an original paint car & was Kashmir Blue & India Ivory .
    Really " white " whites are to harsh next to most colors , the softer whites just look better .

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Exactly! :cool:

loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  16. If you don't like the paint line you could find a Bel Air trim piece that covers that area with a piece of stainless. Then the whole A pillar would be covered.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have two set's.

loudbang and 56don like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Bought two 55 thru early 56 15 5's wheels (riveted) for $25 each. Car already had 15 7's so I took two of them along with 5's to blasters. End result, 185's up front and 255/60 out back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020