Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Jalopy Showdown fans we need your help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebearded1!, May 16, 2020.

1. Sharing these posts by EJ Kowalski and Kim Garland to help the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing to keep the museum open and continue hosting and supporting awesome events like the Jalopy Showdown and other local vintage racing events. I joined the membership today even though I'm 3+ hours away from the museum.

Please sign up here by mail or online
    https://emmr.org/membership/

"With all events at a stand still due to the Covid-19 pandemic I am posting some photos of past super fun Jalopy Showdowns. The Showdowns were conceived as a fundraiser for the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, the EMMR, as the money generated went to the preservation of the museum. Being that there are no events happening the museum will not be generating any funds to cover normal expenses. There is a secure way to renew your membership, join up as a new member, or even make a donation with Paypal or credit card. Annual membership is $20. On the newly revamped website click on membership, this will bring you to an easy way to renew and support this great place. I just did it and it works great. The museum is a donation based entity that never asked for exorbitant fees or per event costs. There are many great events through out a normal year that are free to just come hang out. We would not be able to run our ‘roaring roadsters’ without the support of the EMMR and the Williams Grove Old Timers letting us run on the Latimore Valley fairgrounds and at the major world renowned dirt tracks in the area. Support from the hotrod and racing community is how it survives. Everyone knows these are tough times but public access museums are getting hit very hard, there is a prominent museum in the western US that has decided to close its doors permanently due to the uncertainty of the future and keeping up with costs. Please help out if you can. Ok, getting down off my soapbox. Enjoy some fun pics from the great events we all want to attend. We will have one hell of a party when all this settles down!! Stay safe everyone and hope to see you all very soon!! Thanks Larry and the crew for the great times!!!" EJ Kowalski

"If everyone that had planned on coming this year to the show, would pay for membership( $20 a year ) can be payed for through the website with PayPal or credit card the museum may get some money to help with expenses! You normally pay a $10 entrance fee and then buy from our vendors and of course a t shirt or two! We would appreciate it!!" Kim Garland

Here are 3 of my favorite shots I've taken at various Showdowns.
    FB_IMG_1557617074186.jpg

FB_IMG_1557672219750.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530675836965.jpg

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the prodding...…..sometimes that is all it takes...……….card carrying member

3. I’m in! One of the coolest places I have had a chance to visit.

4. I'm in as well, thanks for the heads up!

hrm2k, loudbang, wraymen and 6 others like this.
  5. Bump

loudbang likes this.
  6. If you've never been to the museum, be sure to check it out if you are in the area. Easy drive from Carlisle, Hershey or Gettysburg if you happen to be visiting those areas. The museum isn't huge, but it is literally packed with great stuff. You won't be disappointed.....Don. p1010413.jpg eastern-museum-of-motor-racing015.jpg eastern-museum-of-motor-racing040.jpg EMMR-50_ea69005d-5056-a36a-0bd1b9d0ff150fbc.jpg

Dino 64, hrm2k, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  7. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

8. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Until you have visited the museum you have no idea
    what a treasure this is to our hobby.
    Please Join today!

9. I am joining .:)

Dino 64, hrm2k, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  10. Just joined, thanks for the "heads up"!

hrm2k, loudbang, thebearded1! and 5 others like this.
  11. Aren't they holding the "Jalopy Showdown" at Lincoln Speedway these days? Went there many times in my youth. My dad had friends that ran "late models", I had a classmate that drove a "sportsman modified" sprint car.

12. ...........Correct. The last two years were there, but the first time the track was so muddy Larry couldn't allow cars out there. Last year was much better conditions, with lots of track time. This week-end (16 May) was to be the last one, but obviously with the pandemic it was not to be. Larry has made it clear that he wants to hold one last Showdown at some point when things are better. .......Don.

13. Man, let's hope so, we need at least one more

14. Count me in.:) { I love this place } 20170519_112527.jpg 20160629_114616.jpg 20160629_120955.jpg 20160629_120229.jpg 20160629_120310.jpg 20160629_124708.jpg 1580.jpg

Dino 64, alfin32, chevy57dude and 6 others like this.
  15. We always have a good time at the Showdown!
    I know it will be the last one but they do have other car events through out the year. Hell, it’s worth the trip just to see the jam packed museum and talk to some of the older racers that help out there.

16. The old race track was fun, too!
    CIMG1146.JPG

17. If things are a go in July it would be neat to go up to the Drag Racers Reunion. Car show and a bunch of stuff going on at the the museum Saturday, camp out at latimore then nostalgia racing at South Mountain on Sunday

18. Thanks to everybody that has joined/donated. It would be a real shame to see this museum have to close like yhe one that just did out west. The more support we show now will probably help get a showdown follow up show started again

19. Update from Larry Garland
    "As always you guys come through for us! I just heard that after our posts (along with the shared versions) yesterday we ended up with $852 in EMMR memberships including two lifetime! Thanks so much!"

20. Latimore just had the perfect atmosphere. I'm hoping to be able to take my roadster around that track!

21. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Signed up for membership. Larry has put on a great show and swap meet for many years and Museum deserves our support. MantuaJohn

22. back to the top for the EMMR.

Ron Funkhouser and thebearded1! like this.
  23. BigChief

BigChief

24. noboD

noboD

Lifetime is the way to go.

25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Found this place driving back from a trip down south... Spent hour's there!
    Just joined

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  26. It would be fun to do a vintage dirt drags event some where in Maryland. I know a lot of the vintage race guys are all based in PA but what's one race over the border? I'd offer up my field but I don't think a quarter acre will do it haha. There is a dirt drag track in VA between Fredericksburg and Richmond, Newtown Dragway, but not sure if the PA folks would come that far.

27. Maryland airport in Pomonkey MD may be a possible location even if they don't let us use the runway. They filed for bankruptcy protection in 2018. This is where Pomonkey Speedway was that races modifieds from 1950-1953

lothiandon1940 likes this.