Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. impala4speed

impala4speed

That's pretty cool Brian.

chryslerfan55, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  2. I use alot of flitz to maintain the wheels and all the other shiny parts. It adds up over the year. I also use one of their products on the paint. It makes the car look like its plugged into a 220 outlet. Their micro fiber towels are 400 as compared to auto parts store towels that are only 200. It makes a huge difference when polishing.
    The old saying is true you get what you pay for.
    Using the code at check out 3132 gives you a 20 percent discount on all orders from the flitz web site.

3. Thanks! Flitz is a great product.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. You guys have made it clear you like tech posts. Buckle up for a lesson on high end shock technology.
    The final piece of the puzzle showed up today. That being new QA-1 mod shocks. This new patented technology shock is like no other on the market. Its design allows for double adjustments like most race shocks. It also has changeable tuning discs. A double adjustable shock is made with a specific window of adjustment. When that adjustment is maxed out they need to be removed from the car and sent back to whoever made them to be revalved.

The new QA-1 mod shocks have three interchangeable tuning discs that can revalve the shock without having to take it off the car. They come soft; medium and firm. They can be mixed and matched to suit your cars needs.
    The QA-1 double adjustable shocks I had on the car last season worked great until I started to go into the sevens. I had both adjusters maxed out. The shocks were being over powered. I sent them in to be revalved in the off season. They were put on a shock dyno to see were they were at before and after revalving. The numbers for the compression were good and the rebound was not going to work. I spoke to my friend who sets up alot of very fast cars. He said congrats you have exceeded the limits of a mid range shock. A car with your horsepower needs a top shelf shock.
    I have been very happy with my QA-1s for years so I started to explore what they have to offer. The pro series Mod Shock seemed like the logical choice. I spoke with their tech guys at the pri show and the chicago show. As always they were very helpful in getting the right parts for my application.
    So here's how it all works here we go.
    Coil springs 130 lbs.
    Ride height 15 inches eye to eye
    Full extension 17 inches
    Rebound 500-600 lbs 5"/per sec
    8-9/10" per sec
    Compression
    200-300 5" per sec
    Looking at the chart supplied with the shocks I need the medium valve for compression set at 14 clicks and a firm rebound valve set at 10 clicks. It's very simple if the charts are followed. Fine tuning can then be made at the track.
    For a street/drag car this shock design is perfect. I can run on the street with a soft valve setting for a comfortable ride. At the track I can switch over to the race valve setting in just a few minutes. It's the best of both worlds without having to carry several sets of purpose valved shocks.
    Controlling the power at the hit is everything for low sixty foot times. My best time was 1.14 last year. While fast after watching videos of the launch I could see alot was being left on the table. It's quite possible now to hit a 1.0 sixty or faster after the shocks are tuned. Controlling the wheel speed and allowing the car to get up on the tire is critical. Most guys think if the car dead hooks it will make its fastest pass. The reality is the fastest pass a car will ever make it will spin the tire for a few revolutions with a very slight haze coming off it. I'm making plenty of power now I have what I need to control it. 20200514_163956.jpg 20200514_171121.jpg 20200514_171039.jpg 20200514_164027.jpg 20200514_171106.jpg 20200514_171019.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. A few minutes later. Ready for action. 20200514_192427.jpg

6. Put the 2020 stickers on the plate before going for the first cruise. You know they just look for any reason to pull you over.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I believe wheel speed is your friend in a high hp situation. It has to get Up on the tire to march. If not tire shake will develop. Of course I could be speaking of a bigger tire like a 17x36 lol. Same principle though with any slick on a light car. Of course the track has a lot to do with it. JMO Lippy

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  8. Wowzee those shocks should get the job done. Thinking how long coil overs have been avail it's pretty amazing they still can develop and find new ways doing things.

I saw a study many moons ago where was said that 2% wheel spin provides fastest ET's

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Why is the wheel slip desirable? Is it allowing the engine to get higher in its torque output before the car starts moving?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. wheel slip keeps the tire from wadding up on itself. If the tire just sticks to the track as the car moves forward the flex of the sidewall allows the tire to start driving over itself. eventually the tire runs out of side wall and tread to run over. The tire is always trying to return to a round natural shape. the result is very violent tire shake. this can be very bad. it can break welds and suspension components; motor mounts etc. I shook the tires bad and all the converter bolts backed out. if I ever shake the tires before another pass happens a complete frame and bolt check happens. on faster cars the shocks become a invaluable tuning aid. when you have 300 hp you have 300 hp problems. when you have 2500 hp you have 2500 hp problems. things multiple real fast.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    raven, enloe, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  11. Exactly. The more HP you have to attempt to put to the track the more fine tuning and adjustments need to be made. Many other factors come into play. Track conditions , temperatures , and more. It is a tuning ballet .

enloe, Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  12. It is. Now I have the shocks to make adjustments as needed. As high tech as these shocks are a simple tire pressure adjustment can do wonders. Adding air can reduce the grip allowing the tire to spin a bit off the line. I like to run the most pressure I can get away with. I set mine 12.75-13 lbs. Equal on both sides.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Good lesson by our Professor of fast cars. :)

14. There was a somewhat organized cruise on the south side of milwaukee today. There were quite a few cars out. Today was the first day driving the car this season. Things went well. Adjustments will be made sunday. If you know Milwaukee Leon's needs no introduction. 20200516_172940.jpg

15. squirrel

squirrel

Drives OK with the spool?

Sent from my Trimline

enloe and loudbang like this.
  16. I hardly knew it was there. I only noticed the tires grabbing on slow tight turns. I can live with it.

enloe, chryslerfan55, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's cause your a true gearhead. Spools never bothered me at all on the street. LOL:D

raven, enloe, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't know how it ran, but do know it sure looks GOOD!!!!!

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  19. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hemi Squirrel, do you run spools in your cars?

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I had a locker in the 55, and one in the Chevy II....and a spool in the Barracuda.

21. Oh yeah! Nice spot too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. Good pic of the car Brian. All I could do is drive mine by myself , had fun anyway.:);)

Poverty cap and loudbang like this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Good tech as usual Brian. I was doing some reading on motors, and came across a spot that said they switch #4 and 7 cylinder to smooth out the engine. I know that they regrind the cam. Is this something you did? At what point do you do that? I talked to Rick at Bryon Race track, and it sounds like Drag Week is still on.

Tony

chryslerfan55, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  24. I never tried it. I know Jimmy young tried it on his sbc nitro dragster. He changed over to a early hemi and didn't do that.
    I think drag week will happen. It's out far enough. I'm planning as though it is. Roger might ride with me this year.

enloe, chryslerfan55, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  25. Mark my drag week buddy stopped by so we could fire the car on nitro. On sunday after street driving I did alot of service work on the engine. This includes cleaning and inspecting the filter. The heads were retorqued. The lash was reset. The engine was leaked down with all cylinders at four percent or less. The barrel valve was leaked for today's fun. The tires and headers were changed over to the race setup. The oil pumps pressure was adjusted.
    The car fired up fine on nitro. It has a mild tune up in it. The barrel valve is set at 83 percent leak. The timing is set at 40 degrees. The nitros at 70 percent. The car is heading to Brownsburg indiana friday. We are going to legendary racer Larry Dixons race shop for more pr stuff. The summit midwest drags promoter has set up a video deal. By invitation only some of the faster street cars will be doing burnouts along with driver interviews. These promotional events are helpful in promoting not only my car but parts on my car. The QA-1 shock deal came about in part because of the two events I'm participating in these two weeks. With everyone else's cars sitting in their garages getting mine out in the social media world is a big deal for these guys. There's no free lunch. The promo possibilities are big this friday. Who knows what doors it will open.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    enloe, TFoch, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  26. 83 % leak on the barrel valve ,,,,?,,,man alive !

What pressure do you run on the oil pump race setup ?

Tommy

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You might see Roo if your in Brownsburg. :D His shop is there close. Lippy

28. At 83 percent the pipes are just slightly wet.
    The oil pressure at temp at idle is 85lbs. At full rpm its 150 through the lights.

For those not familiar with a nitro car at idle the barrel valve has to be set by percentage of leak at idle. Every engine is different. Most nitro engines running a good load are in the 75 percent and up range.
    When the car is running I look into the zoomies. If they look flat black this is somewhat lean. If they have a shiny wet look a few inches down inside the pipe that's good. Wet pipes to the end or raw fuel coming out is too rich.
    Getting this setting correct is a very big deal. Too lean and it knocks the burst panel out at the hit. Too rich and it uses a bunch of fuel and fouls plugs putting out cylinders.
    With the tune up I have in it there will be no mistake it's on a good load for the videos.

29. You’re a smart man,,,,nitro needs oil pressure to keep the bearings alive .
    I know you do a ton of work on it just to keep it together.
    Very impressive,,,,,,as always !
    Good luck on you upcoming trip,,,,,,hope it turns out good for you !

Tommy

30. I called him last week and told him to stop by. His friends with the shit box of doom are across the street from dixons. They are also from new Zealand. Roo has helped me out a few times and is a very good guy. I respect his many talents.