Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 five window projects

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Budweiser, Mar 29, 2020.

1. redoxide

redoxide

re visiting the pics I can see that you took the cue for the position of the pedal assembly from the length of the clutch actuator rod .. Will be interesting to see how that works out .. theres more than one way to skin a cat :) I used F1 pedals in my build on 32 rails and my clutch actuator pivots off the chassis boxing plate .. with the pedals shifted to the left ..

As a matter of interest what make / year of mini van did you recover the seat from ?

Budweiser, Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  2. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

The anchor pivot that is attached actually helped me place my pedals where they need to be . A little heat will fix the placement of the pedals when I bend them in. I did the same with my 29roadster but like you said the model a frame is much more narrow than a 32 frame. On the model a the anchor pivot was attached to my frame. I do have everything tacked in just Incase I have to move the pedal assembly. I Will find out this weekend when I start heating up the pedals,shock mounts and pitman arm also.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Fern 54 like this.
  3. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

The seat came out of a 1994 dodge caravan 42 inches wide , perfect fit. Adjustments.JPG

loudbang, Fern 54 and redoxide like this.
  4. redoxide

redoxide

Although my X member is different, the basic principle with our pedal mount is the same, the forged Ford mount is bolted direct to a flat surface .

Attached a pic of mine for comparison.

Unfortunately my pictures are pretty bad but give some idea of the mount location in my own 32 chassis which is not pinched . Like wise I used the F100 steering box , and the relationship between the pedals and the column can be seen . I havent bent my pedals and they kinda fall in a decent location . Length wise they worked out fine too.

Ive got F1 pedals in another project A on A chassis and they are pretty tight to the frame.. It would have been a good idea on reflection, seeing yours, to have shifted those an inch to the right and heat and bent the pedals to suit..

Everyday is a school day :) keeps it interesting and challenging..

Looking forward to your progress updates.. watching .

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    loudbang, Budweiser and Fern 54 like this.
  5. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Quick update, I was able to finish heating up my pitman arm,clutch and brake pedal ,spindles and shock mounts. Also worked on the steering column and got that right where I need it. I need to figure out what I can use as a column drop for the column also .Here’s some pictures guys. IMG_5653.JPG IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5646.JPG IMG_5639.JPG

6. alchemy

alchemy

Wow, that pitman arm sure is wacky. Doesn't the pitman arm on those boxes fit on backwards also? If so, you could use an unbent one and have the drag link inside the wishbone. Should give you more clearance around your tire during full left turn too.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

The pit man arm was just bent forward a bit and the ball joint down for the clearance. No problem with clearance now the arm swings full both ways. The pitman arm is inside the wishbone , there’s a half inch gat between the two or it would rub.

loudbang and Fern 54 like this.
  8. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Been busy painting my frame and suspension parts. Here’s a few pictures. IMG_5705.JPG [​IMG]

alfin32, daveh1932, LSJUNIPER and 2 others like this.
  9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice start, good luck ! B1BD78A5-235F-4223-8BEE-03356A21C0C8.jpeg

alfin32, Drylake, Dave Mc and 3 others like this.
  10. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Been busy lately but was able to rebuild my transmission today. Got all the goodies from early ford store in San Dimas California. I didn’t take any pictures of the progress but how it turned out. Next is to try and fire up the motor.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

alfin32, loudbang and Fern 54 like this.
  11. bullys-rc

bullys-rc

Nice build, I've started a 1/10th scale 32 5 window project modelled on Tinkercad, should be 3D printing it soon Screenshot (120).png Screenshot (116).png Screenshot (122).png

12. brady1929

brady1929

Are you going to share the .stl files?

loudbang and Budweiser like this.
  13. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

14. bullys-rc

bullys-rc

15. sodas38

sodas38

Love your build, its looking awesome!!

Budweiser, Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  16. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] quick update on the coupe, I’ve been taking the studs of the block due to some being stripped. Unfortunately one broke off and I had to drill it out and recoil it. Looking at the rest of the holes I found six more that need to be recoiled because the threads look awful. Once I do that I will paint the motor to match my transmission. I have new set of gaskets and studs on the way by speedway. Also have my clutch , pressure plate and flywheel being rebuilt at the moment.

Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  17. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Painted the motor and installed it this weekend. Waiting on my generator so I can paint that as well . Had that converted to twelve volt. IMG_5812.JPG IMG_5807.JPG IMG_5811.JPG

Pista_510, alfin32, GordonC and 2 others like this.
  18. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

IMG_5877.JPG IMG_5878.JPG IMG_5879.JPG
    Been busy working on the coupe these last couple of weeks forgot to post some progress. Still have lots to do. I added a Carburetor,new fuel lines, spark plugs, wires, oil pressure gauge, radiator, coolant over flow can. All these things are so small but take lots of time for me at least lol.

alfin32, daveh1932, bullys-rc and 5 others like this.
  19. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Fired up the coupe today check it out guys!

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just a question... why are you running split wishbones when you have a Ford flattie installed? I thought people did that when they went with a different engine.

21. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

I’m not running a stock 32 crossmember and I don’t have 32 wishbones as well. I got the frame already modified when I purchased it. Working with what I have lol

Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that explains everything! Looking good...

Budweiser likes this.
  23. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Quick update on the coupe, got my tail lights in and license plate on as well. Wired up my headlights and tail lights. Also picked up my brake parts to get those mounted up this week!![​IMG][​IMG]

24. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Hey fellas been off this project for a couple of weeks. Been busy with life and work. Had the flathead break on me with some cracks on the block. That definitely slowed me down trying to figure out what to do motor wise. I decided to take my Merc flathead out and use it on the coupe. Haven’t painted it yet just putting it in as it sits till I get this car going then tear it down . Also decided to go with lake style headers for the build. Been working on that over the weekend. Just need to tig up the headers to finish them off. Here are some pictures guys. IMG_6540.JPG IMG_6580.JPG IMG_6598.JPG IMG_6599.JPG 63512245673__CA788C61-0B7C-4F46-B4E9-9CB78C1D0039.JPG 63512246601__985542E8-E18E-48AF-849C-8DA72101F82B.JPG

alfin32, Fern 54, Drylake and 5 others like this.
  25. It's coming along. Lookin' good. My wishbones [33-34] also ended up in the center of my rails. I used F-1 pedals and mounted the pedal mount like you did from the X-member to the frame rail...works well. I was able to find a new bushing for my pedals but I don't remember where I bought it. Haven't installed the new bushing yet. I was able to use the F1 pedals without any heating and bending but I have the luxury of using a 33-34 frame. I did move the engine over to the right and inch and a half to gain some much needed room. Pontiac engines have the starter on the driver's side.
    The Gibbs oil kept my 34 rust free for the years we worked on the car in the body shop. I wiped it down with lacquer thinner before I laid on the Urethane primer. No problems with primer lifting. 34side1_15-0.jpg

A Boner, phelan9251, luckylou and 8 others like this.
  26. m.ralph

m.ralph

Here's another one of my chopped coupes. They just look better chopped in my opinion. (70)SAM_0615.JPG

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

How tall are you, something to consider when considering a chop. I've driven my wife's HHR a few times and it sure convinced me not to chop my '32 5W. And I'm only 5'10"...

nunattax and loudbang like this.
  28. m.ralph

m.ralph

I am 5'10" , I adjust the seat height so I'm looking in the middle of the windshield. I have a traffic light viewer to see the traffic lights. Really like a 4.5 to 5.0 inch chop. My other 32 five is chopped 4.5"

Budweiser likes this.