Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saving a 54 Mercury Custom 2 Door Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Such attention to detail......you two are really cool cats!

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Yes sir! Thanks for watching!

Thanks frankie47 ! We are try to stay cool....Its 90 something outside but 73 in the shop... A little bit spoiled.

IMG_3904R.jpg
    Since Don is a no billet guy I searched the pick and pull lot in Spokane and found a suitable
    overflow tank and windshield washer reservoir for the Merc.
    IMG_3905R.jpg
    Both items needed some brackets made to mount them. Notice this window washer
    tank has a built in pump. I got lucky, the pump still works.
    IMG_3906R.jpg

IMG_3908R.jpg
    The reservoirs fit nicely on the drivers side.
    IMG_3909R.jpg
    Yes, they are not plumb but will work fine.
    IMG_3982R.jpg
    Hauled the car to the muffler shop last week. Only took the talented young fella three
    hours to install the system with a crossover.
    IMG_3984R.jpg

IMG_3912R.jpg
    Installed the rear bumper .We had to do some shimming to keep the front edge from
    digging into that nice paint job.
    IMG_3914R.jpg
    We have to get some more bumper bolts to fill the bumper guard holes.
    IMG_3915R.jpg
    I like the bling!
    IMG_3980R.jpg
    The dash is pretty much done now. We need to paint he knobs for the air system controls
    before we install them. The wheel will be painted soon.
    IMG_3981R.jpg
    The front window garnish went in without too much fiddling.

brEad, loudbang and Squablow like this.
  3. Home stretch now! Car is coming out great!

loudbang and The 39 guy like this.
  4. Been following - really some superb work being done here ....

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank brEad it is getting close!

Hello TomT , thank you for following along and for your kind comment!

Well I don't know how to do video's so a few pictures will have to suffice for the first drive.
    IMG_3972R.jpg
    Backing out.
    IMG_3973R.jpg

IMG_3974R.jpg
    IMG_3975R.jpg
    Return
    IMG_3976R.jpg
    A happy Don after several years of work. The first drive resulted in another list of things
    to fix and modify but at least it has been driven.Stay tuned as we still have a lot to cover in
    the coming weeks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    OzMerc39, 48fordnut, brEad and 2 others like this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Man it is turning out great, love those years of the Mercs.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Crayons

Crayons

I like your air cleaner, but how does it get air. .?

8. Crayons

Crayons

Sure hope your electric wipers work better than mine (54 Merc )...they work perfectly in the garage. Out on the road, not so much. They work for a couple of swipes, but then the driver's side will hang up on the lefthand sweep ,while passenger's side continue to sweep back and forth. (New Port Engineering )

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Crayons, the oil bath is now just a a cap over the air filter. Construction of the filter was covered on page 8 post 229. Finish pictures were shown on page 9 post 250.
    IMG_3987R.jpg
    It''s now just a lid or cover.
    IMG_3988R.jpg
    The air has a lot more room to move to the filter than it did in the typical oil bath
    configuration.
    IMG_3989R.jpg
    The only potential problem I see is that the air will be drawn from the top of the motor
    which may be a few degrees warmer that if it was drawn from the top.
    [​IMG]

Well we have not tried the wipers yet. I have had problems with all of the wiper systems I have installed (just 3) so far. Most of them have been fixable after some fiddling. That reminds me we have not tried the window washer yet. I will have to try that system today. Thanks for reading the thread and commenting!

loudbang and brEad like this.
  10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Have you contacted Newport for help in diagnosing the problem? I'm sure they'd want to make sure you're satisfied with their product

loudbang likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Peanut 59, we have not done any further testing of the wipers but I did try the window washer pump. It worked well. It actually shot water way up on the top. I was able to adjust the nozzles and get to hit the windshield in the
    right place.

Well we got that first drive out of the way and started working on that long list of things still left to do. The seats had suffered form years of rat habitation so they had to be stripped and cleaned.
    IMG_3995R.jpg

IMG_3999R.jpg
    The seats were well built back then. Lots of layers.
    IMG_4001R.jpg
    Condsidering the long term occupants there was very little rust on some of the parts.
    IMG_4003R.jpg

IMG_4006R.jpg
    We set up a small blasting area in the driveway again.
    IMG_4008R.jpg
    All of the seat frames were blasted and given a coat of primer
    IMG_4009R.jpg

IMG_4011R.jpg
    Just had a couple of spots to weld repair.
    IMG_4013R.jpg
    Blasted the wheels with the tires on them.
    IMG_4014R.jpg
    The back of the front seat had some banged up stainless strips so we are back to doing stainless
    repair again.
    IMG_4024R.jpg
    We set up the small paint booth so we could paint a few more parts.
    IMG_4025R.jpg

IMG_4026R.jpg

IMG_4030R.jpg
    The new WW tires from Diamond Back came in
    IMG_4031R.jpg
    Wheels are painted
    IMG_4032R.jpg
    This grill piece was originally chrome but Don wanted to paint it body color. So we had
    to do a little fine tuning before it was painted.
    IMG_4033R.jpg
    I made up some stands to hold the arm rests for painting.
    IMG_4034R.jpg
    These front seat valances were in pretty good shape but we did a little body work
    on them and removed the old sound insulation.
    IMG_4035R.jpg

IMG_4073R.jpg
    I put some dynamat in place of the old sound insulation.

IMG_4067R.jpg
    IMG_4068R.jpg
    IMG_4069R.jpg
    We had to use a custom mixed enamel for the interior parts.
    IMG_4070R.jpg
    Here is not so good picture of one of the interior cards. We took so long getting the car
    running we lost our place in the upholstery line so it will be awhile until the seats get done.

Attached Files:

Squablow, brEad, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here what I think is is an interesting item. Don saw that he had a gap between the wheel center and the hub on all four steel wheels that came with the car. He said that you are not supposed have that gap because it will allow the wheel to move on the hub. I had never heard of this. I always figured that the lug nuts centered and held the wheel in place. He measured the gap as close as he could and ordered these spacers from US wheel adapters. They are made to order form some sort of nylon or plastic.
    IMG_4074R.jpg

IMG_4075R.jpg
    Kind of fuzzy pic but it shows the flared hub side of the spacer.

IMG_4076R copy.jpg
    That is the spacer (arrow) just before it was pushed back against the hub. The wheel actually
    had to be used to finish pushing the spacer on.
    IMG_4077R.jpg
    The source, just in case you want to consider buying some spacers.

Once the painting of the upper valance part of the grill was done we were able to assemble and install the bumper.

IMG_4073R2.jpg
    The parking light bezels were rechromed and new lenses and pads were sourced
    IMG_4078R.jpg
    The old light bases were bead blasted and painted
    IMG_4079R.jpg
    This one did not have a clip to hold it place so I made one.
    IMG_4080R.jpg
    1/8" rivets hold the clip to the base.
    IMG_4083R.jpg
    There is just one bolt and the clip to hold this light assembly to the bumper
    IMG_4084R.jpg

IMG_4081R.jpg
    The bumper assembly is sturdy and a bit of a puzzle to assemble.
    IMG_4082R.jpg
    IMG_4066R.jpg
    The assembly really isn't all that heavy but it was awkward to handle. The clearances around those
    flanged pieces on the bottom edge of the front fenders is pretty tight. we ended up removing
    them temporarily while we installed the bumper so we would not scratch them.
    IMG_4071R.jpg

IMG_4085R.jpg
    The jack and a delicate balancing act allowed us to get the bumper in place.

IMG_4262R.jpg
    There it is.
    IMG_4264R.jpg
    Looks pretty smooth and not quite as heavy as the bumper with stock bumper guards
    and emblems as seen below.

index.jpg IMG_9312R.jpg

There is still lots of stuff on the to do list but Don is driving the car when he can and enjoying it. I will continue to post as we finish it up over the next few months. The hub caps Don intended to use would not work with the wheels on the car so he had to send them back.. Hopefully he will be able to get some other hub caps on it soon.

Thanks for watching and posting your likes!

Attached Files:

13. Running out of words to describe your build. I'm still very impressed.
    On the wheel hub spacers. I'm not an expert on this, but some cars have hub centric wheels, most I believe are lug centric. If that disc brake rotor came from drop n stop, I know he turns down the Granada rotor hubs he uses so more wheels will fit. Probably other suppliers do as well. Your wheels and lugs should tell you if it's lug centric...........conical lugs and conical wheel stud holes = lug centric, and those spacers could prevent the wheel from centering correctly.

Squablow and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Better than a brand new one. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Texas 57 , for the compliment and your input on the wheel centering issue. I will pass the info on to Don when he gets back from fishing.

Thank you Loudbang! I think it is in many ways.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Looks wonderful, clean and smooth!

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta agree; very clean and smooth.

loudbang likes this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks gents!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Sam, Cool thread !!! nice work, we still have the 51 Merc my parent's bought new, might have to do something with it if we ever get other projects done !!!

loudbang likes this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Chris! I am enjoying the coupe build thread!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

After some time off of Don's car to work on some other projects around here we started out working on upholstery for the trunk.
    IMG_4456.JPG
    I made this plywood cover for the spare tire area. It is made from 1/4 inch plywood on top with a piece of 3/8" plywood laminated to the bottom to reinforce it. After a few weeks of crawling in and out of the trunk I would say it is stout enough. IMG_4457.JPG
    The wheel well and trunk hinge area create a challenge here. We wanted to make the panels removable for service. IMG_4465.JPG
    After some cardboard templates were built to get the panel shapes correct we advanced to 1/4 bender board. The bender board turned out to be not all that bendable, so Don formed some sheet metal to support the board in the shape we needed . The bender board was soaked in water before bending. One of the boards split during this procedure and had to be replaced. Velcro is used on the vertical metal flange to hold the bent panel to the rear panel. IMG_4468.JPG
    Anvils come in handy for many things around the shop. You can see here that the panels were riveted on to the bracing with 1/8" rivets. On the left side of the picture you can see some tabs riveted on to the end of the board. These tabs are inserted into the back seat wooden bulk head. IMG_4469.JPG
    Two panels were made for the rear to fit around the gas filler protrusion. IMG_4470.JPG
    Ready for fabric, IMG_4479.JPG
    A position not easily achieved for a guy in his 70's. Don is pretty flexible though. I think he is awake here. Perhaps he is considering some speaker installation issues.
    IMG_4482.JPG
    The gas filler area was filled and smoothed with some layers of 1/4" foam before the material was glued on. IMG_4483.JPG
    Here you can see the foam. IMG_4484.JPG
    Finished. IMG_4485.JPG
    Don took the panels to the upholster whom installed the fabric over thin foam. That spare tire hold down bracket was removed shortly after I took this picture. IMG_4498.JPG
    Covers were made to fill the gap at the hinge.
    IMG_4499.JPG
    Not too bad for a couple of amateurs . IMG_4500.JPG
    A little more insulation and carpet and it should look pretty good.

22. loudbang

loudbang

Looks good. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  23. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

Very nice job guys, If anyone is interested , I have a 1953 Mercury Monterey 2 door for sale or trade, it has a crate 350/350 Chevy combo 1976 Maverick rear, slightly lowered with chrome wheels, Eastwood black with a nice red and whit interior, it has other upgrades I can explain if interested. Runs ,drives and sounds great with headers and duals.
    Thanks
    Ron.

chryslerfan55, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  24. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Good job!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you loudbang . Thanks for following along.

Thanks Ron, We are done with mercury's for now....

Thank you Greaser!

Well it's time to wrap up this thread. Don put the finishing touches on the car this week and we are on to the next project. I have a few things to show you before we sign off though.

IMG_4506R.jpg
    One of the seat back stops was missing and the other was worn out so I fabricated some from
    high density plastic.
    IMG_4507R.jpg
    The wooden round stock used for a handle made the project a little easier to do.
    IMG_4512R.jpg
    You can just see the stops inbetween the seat base and seat back.
    IMG_4511R.jpg
    More dynamat and some floor insulation Don got with the carpet kit.
    IMG_4513R.jpg
    It took a little while to figure out how to install the seat adjuster bar. It sure is nice to see
    this stuff so clean and new looking after dealing with the rat infested parts Don started with.
    IMG_4512R.jpg
    IMG_4524R.jpg
    New door card and Don installing the 3 point seat belt.
    IMG_4586R.jpg

IMG_4587R.jpg

IMG_4588R.jpg
    IMG_4590R.jpg
    The carpet kit was not a good fit as delivered. It needed a lot of padding under the transmission hump.
    IMG_4620R.jpg
    Don ordered some carpet for the trunk that matched the interior. I couldn't find a picture showing
    the rounded corners this fabbed steel plate is covering up.
    IMG_4633R.jpg
    After welding the two panels together it was screwed don to the trunk floor. We had to be careful
    about screw placement because the gas tank is very close to the bottom of the floor.

IMG_4654R.jpg
    So the reason for installing that plate was so that we could make a nice straight drop over
    the edge without having to conform to the rounded shape of the trunk floor in the corners.
    IMG_4655R.jpg
    One of our club buddies sewed the edging on the carpet to finish off the trunk project.
    IMG_4579R.jpg
    Don glued some vinyl to the trunk lid. There was enough room to tuck some vinyl
    under all of the edge flanges.
    IMG_4612R.jpg
    While test driving the car we discovered that the drive shaft would rub on the drive shaft tunnel.
    This usually occurred when under torque load with my additional weight in the car.....
    To fix this we did three things. First we raised the rear end by about 1 inch by wedge cutting the
    two inch lowering blocks.
    IMG_4595R.jpg
    next we added spacers under the rear axle stops. I didn't have any two inch so we welded
    two block together for each side and cut the top one to the contour of the frame.
    IMG_4596R.jpg

IMG_4597R.jpg

IMG_4614R.jpg
    I eventyly added caps to each end of the spacer blocks.
    IMG_4617R.jpg
    The next concern was spring wrap so new spacers were made for the stock spring snubbers.
    This trio of modifications fixed the problem.
    Not pictured here but Don did decide to cut about a third of a coil off of the front coils to lower the front
    end a little.
    IMG_4634R.jpg
    I convinced Don to let me paint the speaker grills. brown. I used a hobby airbrush with good success.
    we were concerned that the paint would build up and plug the small holes in the grill. fortunately that
    did not happen and the paint went on in several very light coats.
    IMG_4661R.jpg
    After a two or three weeks of cutting and buffing the paint and a front end alignment the
    Polara Star style hub caps finally went on. IMG_4662R.jpg
    Here she is ready for miles of smiles!
    IMG_4663R.jpg
    It only took us 4 or 5 years to finish this thing but we are pretty proud of it.
    IMG_4664R.jpg IMG_4665R.jpg
    We'll see you guys on down the road. Thanks for following along on our journey.
    Our next project is my 39 ford convertible sedan. It may not be HAMB friendly enough
    for a complete build thread but I will cover what I can here on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

26. Beautiful..nicely done.

loudbang likes this.
  27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Another great build thread loaded with so many useful problem solving ideas and procedures. Craftsmanship and skill level at its best.
    Thanks for sharing guys.

OzMerc39, loudbang and echo ed like this.
  28. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Looks great. Looking forward to what you can post with the '39 tub.

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Came out BETTER than new great job guys. Let us know when you post on the other project so we can follow that one too. :)
    thumbs up.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Beautiful job, as usual. If you don't do a complete thread on here please let us know where we can follow it.