Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you been guilty of buying parts for a car you hope to build someday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy

Habitual offender as charged.

2. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

We have been doing Hershey for a while, not as long as some of our neighbors up there who inherited their spaces from their parents. I will not carry anything paper be it books or ? no value and too heavy to carry, Buick parts are a waste of trailer space, it also seems that the man caves have all been decorated so that stuff slowed down for us last year. Model A's are still king those parts sell well, lots of interest from both restorers and street/hot rod guys. It's hard to figure what to take, but it's my vacation and having a couple of spaces the is a blast. Friends from New Mexico came out last year and couldn't believe it. They also marveled at the fact that we emptied out the trailer. I'm one of the lucky ones who's wife likes working the spaces while I get on the Hoveround and buy more junk for our projects, by the way you get better deal from me. Prices aren't what they used to be, but that applies to what I'm buying too. Avoid the exotic stuff, be fair with your dealings and have a good time, it's another side of the hobby to enjoy. Much better than sitting in a parking lot car show.
    Back to the original subject, I'm hoarding 28/29 roadster stuff, don't know if it's going to ever happen but I'll be ready if it does. Got to sell something else first and that's proven difficult at best.

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Sure. Gotta be a "make me buy it price" Then I figure... what do I have to lose. I enjoy having Hot Rod parts and I can always sell the stuff if I don't use it and get my money back.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I should plead the fifth but I too am guilty of hoarding parts for that last car I wish to build and truth be told I have been collecting those parts for most of my life. I'm kind of glad I did as the parts I have collected are becoming harder to come by but the funny thing is those parts for that someday ride weren't because I was seeking them out on purpose. They seemed to have found me over the years through different circumstances and a lot have come to me for free. It's kind of like back 30 or forty years ago when you get a ford flathead motor for scrap prices. Like my grandfather used to say flatheads were only good for making hot water.

LAROKE likes this.
  5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Yep, buy parts when cheap if I think I might be building it.

6. Cord parts and nailhead engine, gota have them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  7. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Trouble with me is I keep buying parts for the next 5 projects and still working on the present 5

treb11 likes this.
  8. <Avatar started as a $5 lower fender extension bought at the Chickasha swap meet. Only took about 20 years.

OahuEli likes this.
  9. maxinaz

maxinaz
    from Arizona

Nice find, I thought I saw you going down the freeway with it. I live on jackrabbit and I 10. Max

10. dutchman

dutchman

The rarer items, yes. Some things you just can’t find twice.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Ha! the first thing I got for my Model A was the turn signal switch, I was at a junk yard with my son getting parts for his '54 Chevy and found this cool switch. started on the car about two years latter.

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

My brother STILL has our shed clogged up with old four banger bits from his first Model A, swearing he's gonna build another. And in my bedroom is a foam 351C, two plastic bucket racing seats, a radiator and arack-and-pinion from God knows what, that will eventually go into a tube framed, hand formed sports car special So, yes, guilty as hell, lol!
    A better question: have you ever stubbed a toe in the middle of the night on a car part?!?!

LAROKE likes this.
  13. modified1927

modified1927

Funny how things come into your life, it doesn't follow you home unless it's running and I usually have to carry it, because it's never running. This was a friend from High School in '66 that had a stroke and passed, his sister wanted to know if I wanted it, Hell yes. (hopefully the next one finished) magna 3.jpg I did pick up this engine a year ago to go in it, and a Muncie is from an old corvette . I think Stevie will approve IMG_0020.JPG

hotrodharry2, LAROKE and chevy57dude like this.