Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Loving the progress.

Thor1, loudbang and Tim like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"Instead now my kids call them uncles"
    I'm not touching that one, yet I can't really let it go either. :eek:

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mean it like it sounds. Some of my hot rod friends are more family than my blood family.

kiwijeff, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Brother @Austin kays came threw with a set of what we think are the correct running boards!

Im super stoked on them and can’t wait to see what we’ve got in person :)

going back to work this weekend with a VERY heavy schedule so any progress will likely be stacking up parts in nature. But I do have a couple big acid soak projects I’d like to do so maybe I’ll post how that goes?

thanks again Austin!

~also if any of you guys are looking for 35-39 ford gauges he’s unloading a good pile of them ;) ;) A5A9E302-CFFB-47D0-95C3-048FE1C010B3.jpeg 1DC81DFE-5DC3-4ABF-8633-4DAAADBA2873.jpeg 918F9B1F-ADC9-4355-9FBB-230767C72E9C.jpeg FF7FA7A2-2061-49C4-9464-A5A6F36746EC.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. Austin kays

Austin kays

No problem @TimM glad someone could use them :) and yeah if anyone needs some I have a pile haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Super cool deal on the running boards! What's your acid soak plan?

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@drdave well, @flatout51 got me hooked on soaking stuff in citric acid. Mix the flakes with water and let it soak! Doesn’t eat paint or platting. Works pretty quick, seems to neutralize easily with some dawn and water. Obviously dry it off good after that.

doesn’t seem to make any difference if you cover it or not and I get bubbles to come off it even when it’s dang near olive colored “water” in the bucket. Good bang for your buck.

did some experimenting with an old license plate last month and found that covering it didn’t really make any difference but it will eat threw a disposable broaster pan/ tin foil pan so maybe stick to a 5 gallon bucket.

I see David soaking some leaf springs in what looks like a 2x4 square nailed together with a plastic tarp to set everything in. Trying to figure out how to soak those running boards with out waist of a lot of product.

Could dump it all over the board and wrap it with plastic wrap but I doubt it would work like a good soak you can agitate

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

This thing was CRUSTY before.

after I soaked the whole thing I left this end in for a week and got that result! Been setting on my porch for about a month now after the fact with no coating and it’s obviously not flash rusted or anything CAC76990-9BFC-40CD-AE24-946E212CD4EE.jpeg

9. There is a great powder coat color called "as cast aluminum" works great on intake manifolds. Looks like aluminum.

10. That's pretty impressive! Less messy than sandblasting, that's for sure.....at least a lot less sand down my back and in my ears. LOL

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you look back you’ll probably find some photos of me soaking a stuck steering box in it. Works great

loudbang, drdave and Thor1 like this.
  12. flatout51

flatout51

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Now that I’m looking at the photos of the running boards they don’t seem to be model A. The bead around the perimeter and the Rounded over side don’t look familiar.

any ideas what they might be?

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got this heater coming my way. Pretty excited about it! Seems to be 40’s after market and I’ve read reports of it thawing ice off windows at -20! Good to hear, should keep us warm on those cool nights with the windows down and maybe the top open! 9EC0044B-3A18-4B71-A815-9476AB35E14C.jpeg 488D36D2-219B-428E-A3E0-30C191EA9326.jpeg 63C9EC9A-9A00-434B-BB37-C897500EB96B.jpeg @RICH B on Austin’s post you showed how you framed in the roof opening on a sedan with square tubing. You mentioned a home made roller and that there are other methods to get the subtle bends as well.

wondered if you could expand on that? Didn’t want to clutter his thread with my curiosity so thought I’d ask here :)

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Picture I snagged from an old hamb thread to show the size of the heater. That’s a 49 chevy it’s in if I’m remembering correctly 4B523BB9-7D90-4F62-9972-DFF59384771A.jpeg

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Heaters are hot! Especially if you have the room and are really going to use the car.

loudbang, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball i try to use the cars nearly 10 moths out of the year if I can get away with it and some early mornings, or if I’m coming home after work late nights, get pretty chilly.

after talking about the various ways to seal up an A and insulate it, then deciding I want a snap off roof like Nathan Stewart <- can’t get a tag to work- uses, well it just made more since too get a heater that could warn a motorcycle in January and call it good.

All the jeeps I’ve ever been in that have the option of pulling the doors/ roof always have a heater that would burn you if you touched the vents. Figured I’d it’s good enough for that it’s good enough for me lol

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can we start a Arvin members only club, or would only two of us show up for meetings?

redzula, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

does yours look like this one?

loudbang, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I see a funny face in this Heater...must be Arvin...:D

I guess the Passenger will have the warmest Tootsies...

Having a 29 myself I know it'll be real easy for the Driver to get the Tootsies warm too as it's pretty tight in there...

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like it’s got three directional vents on the bottom and a defrost port on each side. I’m hoping that the reostat switch lets me keep it just barely on so we don’t melt our toes haha

loudbang, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Here’s mine, it’s all apart now for a fresh green hammertone paint treatment.
    IMG_5242.JPG

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool, that’s the one I see more often. Way more chrome though! Should be neat in your hot rod.

I like that the single knob has a light inside it so you can see it down under the dash in the dark. no problem

24. Rand Man

Rand Man

You should like that heater. I drove my coupe in as low as 18 degrees F. I used a blanket for my legs and wore a coat. Wasn’t too bad really.

loudbang, Thor1 and Tim like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve driven the 46’ in cold weather like that but all the insulation I added keeps the engine heat out now lol.

loudbang, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have an Arvin heater for my truck as well. Mine is square and has two doors on the front.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When I was a kid we had a '41 Ford pickup with a Southwind heater. It would make you roll down the windows. My dad rarely turned it on because it used too much gas. We had a great heater but we froze anyway.:D I'm looking for a heater for the roadster build.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

These are a hot water/ electric heater thankfully! I can absolutely remember years ago having heaters just absolutely melt me

Stogy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Mail order hot rod parts A82676AB-8AEB-4C55-9230-9B1381B623A1.jpeg 954F8FD4-1408-4087-8637-CCE109C3770D.jpeg 111A813E-9AA2-4E1F-B353-76A6B28019D0.jpeg mailed my buddy a few templates and between his giant quarantine honey do list items he’s been knocking them out and sending them back to me. This is the block off plate for the hole left in the intake manifold for the heat riser. I’ll pop 3 holes in it and eventually make a gasket. Done deal!

figure with hood sides less than 5 inches from the intake we should t have any trouble with it being to cold but if we do this is 1/4 plate and shouldn’t be any trouble to adapter a riser from the header

chryslerfan55, Stogy, drdave and 4 others like this.
  30. Tim, I posted the Lane Anderson Rodders Digest article on refurbing heaters years ago. I still have it. I will dig it out and the NAPA parts book and get the info to you. Part numbers and everything to modernize these

chryslerfan55, Stogy, drdave and 4 others like this.