Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead machine shop in the northwest?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MoPer38, Dec 30, 2011.

1. MoPer38

MoPer38

Looking for a shop to do the work on a ford flathead. Check for cracks, bore the cylinders, valve seats, ect. Anyone have a favorite or one to avoid? Im in the eastern half of Washington State, but will go where I have to.....

Thanks in advance

2. You wanna travel to norcal ... and do you have mucho dollars? ... I dont think "bad" flattie shops stay in business do they? LOL

3. MoPer38

MoPer38

I need to edit my profile.... I am no longer in colorado. I am in pasco washington now.

4. MoPer38

MoPer38

NorCal is doable.

5. carmanspd

carmanspd
    from Spokane

Spokane has at least a couple guys that can handle it. Check out the engine in the "Take out T" I think fellow HAMBer "Chris" dad Dave Swenson) built it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. couverkid

couverkid

There are a couple guys in Portland area. Also Dave swenson in spokane. Where are u.

7. Give the antique auto ranch a call, they are in spokane and specalize in th old stuff...I know the build great T and A engines inhouse including pouring babbit, so if they can't do a flathead im sure they can get you hooked up with someone who can.

8. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

Antique Auto Ranch 509-535-7789

9. tedster

tedster

Power Machine Service Spokane 509-536-1721, Tim Zimmerman

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The legend Dave Swenson is who I'd send it to.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hagen's in Puyallup, Wa. They had a fire and burned down while back, but have rebuilt. Only drawback, they lost an "old machinist" to retirement recently. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Send a P.M. to "Pete1" here on the board. He is in WA, I'm sure he can help.

14. Yeah my Dad can do it, or the Antique Auto Ranch. Both have done hundreds and hundreds of flatheads. Mike Posted the Ranch's number, if you want my Dads PM me and I'll get it to you.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There was a guy by the name of i belive mike reeves?? on the west side

And there is tatum, but it's a mixed bag on his rep, atleast from word of mouth, and he is REALLY pricey

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I use H & H Diesel in Fife just north of Tacoma.
    Ask for Ron.
    They can do it all.
    800-929-2335

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Hagen's may be good for parts but I'd never use them again for machine work, screwed too many times.

18. Mattsbidnuz

Mattsbidnuz

Good morning Chris,
    I see you posted about your Dad building Flatheads. I see this is an old post from 2012, but have to ask. I am located on the West side of Washington (Puget Sound). I am looking for someone that could help me to build my Flathead 8BA. I am not an engine builder, but interested in learning and want to know about the engine when complete. I currently work in aerospace at Boeing. I spent 11 years as a heavy structures mechanic, holding my Airframe and Powerplant certificate (A&P). I am not the guy that drops something off and then picks it up when done. I want to be involved. Hoping that it will help a bit on the cost if I can get my hands dirty in the rebuild as well. Once it is ready I can have some basic knowledge to maintain the engine in the future. I am building this project on a budget so I am not looking to spend $10,000 on the rebuild. I have been told that Flatheads are expensive, I understand that. I have purchased a few books and just want to build one (love the sound). I would like to find someone willing to pass on the knowledge. I understand that I do not have the machines to do the machine work and most likely never will, but besides that part (which I can pay for) I would just like to have the assembly knowledge when it comes to most everything else. Sorry for the long story. I have been searching and turned up empty so far. Had some potential leads, but no follow through or interest. Thank you for any info you might provide.

19. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

I second the recommendations provided by Chris.

20. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

Andrew @ Gibson Machine in Spokane -509-251-5171

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Vancouver, WA. Tom Pinkowski at Toms Performance Center. He built my blown 8BA, he knows what he is doing and I gave him the boring plates if your thinking about opening up a late model. He did the relief, port, CNC mains, balance, and assembly of the long block.