Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Henry Ford hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Feb 2, 2020.

1. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Thanks for the info on how to block the water jacket on the block. You mention in your answer that you also bore an additional hole in the heads. Do you use a head gasket for the later style block and use it to locate the 1/4" hole for the heads?

I like the generator offset you are using. Never did like the offsets that bolt to the heads. Who supplies that offset?

One last question about the steering setup. I see you are using cross steering. What type of gearbox?

loudbang likes this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello.
    Later model headgasket. I bore that hole to same end where I have plug that big hole.
    Generator bracket is maybe offenhauser stuff. I ordered it from speedwaymotors for this engine.
    I have also used those "59A" style LR or RH on head brackets. Still have one vintage bracket on stock "Los Angeles 66".

I like more old style vertical steering (1932, 1933, 1934, F1, F100,..) but in this case he had empty frame and I do not want to use my 100% condition steering boxes (I want to use those my own projects), so I asked him to order Vega box, pitman + bracket. I sold him spindles and made draglink + tie rod when all other stuff were installed.

Aulis

Jrs50, Stogy and greaser like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Monday Rodding. Generator need to open. Its stack, but I will fix it.
    Generator pulley need to change to wide one.
    All day I have made fan modifications (measure,cut, short, lathe, weld, lathe, test install...).
    Original 53 merc fan is too long, I shorted it +20mm

Waterpump belt will be classic V-belt (B). Fan belt will be narrow model as original merc have.

Tomorrow need to install linkage kit, starter....

Aulis

jukka-387.jpg jukka-388.jpg jukka-389.jpg jukka-390.jpg jukka-391.jpg jukka-392.jpg jukka-393.jpg jukka-396.jpg jukka-394.jpg jukka-397.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The generator pulley looks out of alignment, optical illusion?

loudbang likes this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

waterpumps + generator are same line.
    fan + 1st groove in crankpulley are same line.

drylakespeedshop and brEad like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

distributor has got new wires, points, rotor, cap...
    sparkplug cables ready and starter installed.
    Aulis

jukka-402.jpg jukka-398.jpg
    jukka-399.jpg jukka-401.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi, waxhead and brEad like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Fuel pump rebuilt and installed. Fuel block "opened" and installed.
    Just ordered fuel inlets (carbs) from Stromberg UK.
    Linkage kit installed (very easy to adjust).
    Aulis

jukka-402.jpg jukka-405.jpg jukka-404.jpg jukka-406.jpg jukka-407.jpg jukka-408.jpg jukka-409.jpg

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

jukka-414.jpg Thursday 14th of May: First in the morning I made velocity stacs ready and bolted on. I used bearing shims 2pc / velocity stack. SS net + foam. 3pc 4mm thread + locking screws.

SPB and SPA v-belts arrived same time with shims from our bearing company (I work homeoffice, company is located in Helsinki). Yesterday I measure lenght, belts fit perfect.

Aulis
    jukka-410.jpg jukka-411.jpg jukka-413.jpg jukka-415.jpg jukka-416.jpg jukka-417.jpg jukka-418.jpg jukka-419.jpg jukka-420.jpg

9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Afternoon I welded, hammered, shrink, stretch and rolled with english wheel trunk lid skin. In this hot rod I will use only lid skin without any inner panel. I decided months ago that I´m not use any normal hinges and lock. I was decided that old Aircraft Dzuz fasteners are good for this car.

I already made 3pc mountings and welded those on their places. 7pc total looks good to me.

Aulis

jukka-421.jpg jukka-422.jpg jukka-423.jpg jukka-424.jpg jukka-425.jpg jukka-426.jpg jukka-427.jpg

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

This roadster is now "ready". I keep 3months break with this project. After summer I need to make aircraft style interior, exhaust, braketubes and hoses, fuel line, change all electric 12volt....

Today, Sunday, bored holes for P-51 magnesium seatmountings, welded last 4pc trunk lid brackets and bolted on owners own original 1932 headlights.

Aulis

jukka-428.jpg jukka-429.jpg jukka-431.jpg jukka-433.jpg jukka-434.jpg jukka-435.jpg jukka-437.jpg jukka-438.jpg jukka-439.jpg jukka-440.jpg jukka-441.jpg jukka-442.jpg

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello,
    Summer is come to North. This week we have here +20 celcius decrees (68F).
    Cabriolet has been used daily. Italmeccanica engine is perfect. Too much power for this car.
    Original 1932 tranny and rear axle are not so strong.... Next year I have installed back carbriolets own 1936 21bolt twin spark plug engine. Next week need to install new stuff to my Nova, if Corona release and we can go to race.
    New innovate dual lambda, super stock style cromed wheelie bars, window net, collector extensions,.....

Aulis

cab-52.jpg cab-53.jpg cab-54.jpg nova-142.jpg
    nova-143.jpg

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Afternoon it was rainy weather. I continue terrace repainting tomorrow. I haven´t like cabriolet two color outlook. Originally black area has been "chocolate brown", that´s what I would like. Beige is original or repainted using same original style color and paint. It is cellulose, not easy to keep clean, but nice patin etc. When they have painted brown area to black, they have used acryl (80´s). Pinstripes (on black) are orange.
    Today I was learn to pinstripe. Not first time, but i can say that Im rookie in that field.
    I bought one 4oz can orange and separate black and beige with orange stripe.

Aulis

cab-55.jpg
    cab-56.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Nice people this forum webmasters. I post today new thread " INNOVATE LM-2 dual ratiometer problem.
    OK, car is 1968 nova --> they let me know that its too new car (deadline 1965). It was technical question and I think many are use those lambda older cars too, if they want to tune up their old vehicles....

I hate this fucking shit. Too much this kind of "webmasters" who cant himself do nothing real carbuilding but they are cancel very important thread. Keep Your fucking forum. I have try to post here pics what I do, I have think that maybe somebody get something ideas or answers to open questions if see my pics and read my bad english.

Ryan can send me email, if he want to explain rules. Finnish is ok, but can write english too.

AULIS
    www.auliz.fi
    shit from year 1966

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Well that's really too bad @AULIZ , I rather enjoy seeing what you are building.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Well, for what it's worth, I follow every post you do, since it's always informative.
    Stick around, please!

nunattax, Stogy and j hansen like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Rules are for a purpose. It's Ryan's site and he wants things from 1965 and earlier.

Desoto291Hemi, Stogy and j hansen like this.
  17. I hope you won't let this cause you to stop sharing your builds. You do really nice work with your own style and many of us here enjoy following your progress.

18. 19fuelie57

19fuelie57
    from Kansas

I follow every update you post and enjoy your build process! Hoping this was just a bad day and that you stay on the site. Now you know ...pre 65 only. No reason to leave, your good for the forum!

Runnin shine, nunattax and Stogy like this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Summer is gone. I have spend time with my Oskar son, have tested Nova on strip and enjoy on the road with my cabriolet. Also built some weeks my 5w coupe. Now I picked up this "coupster" back to my garge. This week I have continue project. Next weeks welding, cutting, hammering.... slowly going foward
    Aulis

jukka-444.jpg jukka-447.jpg jukka-449.jpg jukka-456.jpg jukka-457.jpg jukka-458.jpg jukka-461.jpg

20. AULIZ

AULIZ

10th of September I have been hammer rear panel lower corners and weld back on their places. Also hammered floor straight. Started to made new bigger part of that rear panel. I decided to change bigger part, because old one was so bad condition. Around taillights I have welded earlier before summer.

I made "frame" for lic.plate. Tomorrow need to cut all ready and start to weld together.

aulis

jukka-460.jpg jukka-464.jpg jukka-465.jpg jukka-467.jpg jukka-468.jpg jukka-470.jpg jukka-471.jpg jukka-472.jpg jukka-473.jpg jukka-474.jpg jukka-475.jpg jukka-476.jpg jukka-477.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    brEad, Okie Pete, The 39 guy and 16 others like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

welcome back man awsome work as usual.chris

22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Normal building, not same quality than "trailer Queen cars".
    Hot Rods are made for driving ....

Cabriolet runs great, I was drive over 4000miles (6000km) during Covid-Summer. That´s my only one ready car this time. I had problem with 2row waterpumps. twice during summer I have piece those pumps, made some surface macihinery jobs and put together with new seals.
    Now works but still engine is too hot when drive on highway. If drive under 50mph, there is not big boost and works fine, but when try to keep 60-65mph speed on,..... original 1932 brass radiator is not enough. Radiator is washed good etc etc, but I can tell You that if You have hi-perf flathead, buy everytime expensive new walker radiator.
    There is 50% more that spiral between tubes.... Works !

Aulis

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Thank You Sirs.
    Normal building, not same quality than "trailer Queen cars".
    Hot Rods are made for driving ....

with you 100% on that

Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  24. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I enjoy reading about and seeing your work. I'm impressed with the quality of the work you do and the way you spend time teaching your son. The world would be a better place if it had more people like you.

brEad, Outback and Stogy like this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yestereday and Today I have spend time with my son. Today I worked only few hours with this panel.
    Today Sunday continue...
    aulis

jukka-479.jpg jukka-480.jpg

treb11, Stogy, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sunday morning TIG welded all around. After welding looks bad.... but I think it will be better after grinded and hammered.

Aulis

jukka-481.jpg

kadillackid, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

28. Mart

Mart

You oxy-acetylene welding, Auliz?

The whole job is looking great.

Mart.

Stogy likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello. No, I use TIG + Argon. Very near like oxy-acetylene welding. Good, smooth welding and not break even bend, hammer,...... Welding additive (im not sure if that is right english word) I use 1,2mm mig wire.

wednesday pics here. Last pic: Old chris craft wooden boat step plates arrived from USA. I bough those (ebay) 10th of April. 5months deliverytime !!! I was think that I loose my money and never get those. I bolt those both side (frame). Easy to step in....
    Cool stuff !

aulis

jukka-491.jpg jukka-492.jpg jukka-493.jpg jukka-494.jpg jukka-495.jpg jukka-496.jpg jukka-497.jpg jukka-498.jpg

30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday - Sunday I spend my time in Kauhava LSK Business Park. Old military airfield which is now private owned and there is drag race raceway.

Monday welded cowl all over. Yes, it shrink very strongly. I was only grind weldings down and must wait until I get firewall out and can hammer weldings straight.

Tuesday made rear quarter patch panel and next panel after that. Too much putty, I must cut more.... Same time I weld rear inner fender holes. I made there one new piece, welded and grinded. Very much to do, but interesting job...so today continue 7.00 in the morning. When I have welded all, I to to sodablasting. All old paint need to remove

Aulis

jukka-499.jpg jukka-501.jpg jukka-502.jpg jukka-503.jpg jukka-504.jpg jukka-505.jpg jukka-506.jpg jukka-507.jpg jukka-508.jpg jukka-509.jpg jukka-510.jpg

treb11, Stogy, lurker mick and 5 others like this.