Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2020 H.A.M.B. Drags: What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 13, 2020.

1. Go for it. As always it sounds like you have things well thought out with options.

nochop and loudbang like this.
  2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Given what we know now I would go for it. You can always cancel it later and refund money later

nochop and loudbang like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like a smart man typing, it seems life is day to day now, we will support your decision.

silverdome, nochop and loudbang like this.
  4. Brandi

Brandi

We’ll be there if it’s held. And are 100% down to donate our registration to Carl and the track if it isn’t.

5. Even though I’m too far away to come either way this year, I will buy a t-shirt no matter what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

INVISIBLEKID, NoSurf and nochop like this.
  6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will absolutely positively be there. We are all grown ups (well, some of us are...) and capable of making our own informed decisions based on our own situations. If anyone has a health issue and feels it is too risky, by all means stay home and I will respect your opinion. If not, I will have a cold beer waiting for you in August.

-Abone.

7. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

Two things for sure, if you print shirts, make sure you don't put a date or year on them. Make them so they can be sold the next year. And, yes, offer the option on the registration fees. Refund or donation, I think that's a great idea! We gotta get back to "normal" sometime. Sounds like you are on the right track to me. I say "GO MAN GO!" Hope for the best, expect things to change as you go.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. I can't think of anything you are overlooking, I do think the old farts like myself with underlining health problems need to get a OK from their physicians.

August is a long way away and the outlook may have improved considerably by that time, regardless you have proven time and again that your discussions are not made without exploring all the options. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Sounds like you have this situation very well thought out. As always, we will be there. If for some awful reason it gets cancelled, I’ll still make the drive to Mo-Kan Drag-strip just for the road trip and a beer.

badvolvo likes this.
  10. Ryan, You can make your own decision. My business partner and I decided to postpone Hotrod-a-rama till 2021. It was only because of so much uncertainty surrounding everything. We didn't want to do anything half assed at the last minute if things did open up in time for the show. Lots of people are out of work or have not a lot of extra income to spend this year. Ya, you might get some guys to show up but if it's a marginal turnout will you regret the effort? People understand that this year is a bust for car events. Your call.

11. raven

raven

"We’ll be there if it’s held. And are 100% down to donate our registration to Carl and the track if it isn’t." -Brandi
    What she said...
    r

badvolvo likes this.
  12. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

You don't really mention the money aspect of it (such as reserving the race track, promotions and ads, trophies and so on) and what would happen if you had to cancel. For what it's worth, NHRA had planned to start racing again in June but just recently set the start-up date back to July 31-August 2 (Northwest Nationals). I expect to see that date moved again. And in case anyone was still planning on attending, the LA Roadster Show is cancelled until 2021. We could have a situation where public events are allowed but must abide by social distancing, which could impose a legal limit on your attendance. The virus has shown no signs of slowing down. I hate to spoil a party but - given the amount of work involved and possible financial loss - I would put this off until next year. Sorry 'bout that.

slim38 and Pitbullgoingpostal like this.
  13. I think that's a fair way to go about it.. NO event get a refund.. or donate it to the Drag strip to help them out.. Good on you Boss !

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in. 100 percent. The Cobra is nearly ready to go. Open registration now, take my money and give me a number! We will figure out the rest later.

I have been crazy careful with my Dad. I have forced him to stay home for nearly two months (and do body work on the car) lol. But seriously, if and when the time comes and I don't think it is safe we will stay home and you do what ever you want with the money.

I think that is how we have to look at everything from this point forward. What is the risk and is it worth it. We ask those questions everyday at some level: driving a car, flying on a plane or even crossing the street! Covid is just another thing to ad to an extremely long list of things you could die from. However amidst all the statistics of 1000s of deaths we don't get to hear about the millions of folks who recovered.

At some point however, things have to get back to some kind of normalcy. Whether that is June, July, or August I can't answer. But for now I say go on the optimistic side that in 3 months we can be doing the things that make us happy again. AND nothing makes me happier than ripping down the track at the HAMB DRAGS.

Ryan, I say follow your own advice: GO MAN GO!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

badvolvo likes this.
  16. @Ryan it's a terrible thing to have to think about but I think your real question should be to yourself about how you would be able to deal with it if you decide to hold the event and people end up getting sick because they attended it. Everyone can say all they want that everyone takes the risk on their own but you still have to know how you would cope with the chance of people getting sick at one of your events.

17. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

Hey Ryan,

There is a way to ensure nobody gets sick... Nitro! 80F53AEB-0E9E-4643-951E-4309626F24A6.jpeg

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do understand your logic but to counterpoint, my little Model A got the entire passengers side caved in by a tractor trailer on the way to the Drags in 2010. Not Ryan's fault.

-Abone.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  19. 392

I’d say go forward and if things change donate to Mokan. Then look back and say we tried and still did right. Hell Home Depot is packed at 8am Saturday morning and lasts all day.

badvolvo likes this.
  20. gonzo

gonzo

Gonna give new meaning to the ZOOM Meeting! Haha.

21. I say go for it.
    Walmart and many other stores are open with many people going to them and there seems to be no problem with that.
    If you don’t want to go then don’t go but those who feel like taking a “risk” that’s your constitutional right. If I weren’t headed to the other side of the globe for 6 months I wouldn’t have a second thought about being there.
    It may just turn out to be the best HAMB Drags ever.

Tman and badvolvo like this.
  22. Hmmmmmmm...I've got stage 4 bone cancer, asthma and I'm now 72 years old. I look at it this way. The people in Walmart are prolly gonna get me [even tho I wear a mask religiously] before drag racers and I think I can stay the hell away from others at the HAMB drags. I'll go as long as the infection numbers are down...at least 50%. But if our event gets called off I won't be disappointed.

Tim, Tman and tractorguy like this.
  23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, having the Drags is NOT irresposible. Not in any way. Everyone is responsible for his or her own health and risk decision-making. If they are concerned, they should absolutely stay home. You are not responsible for making sure everyone lives a safe life. What thinking adult is going to say "Ryan is having a race. Therefore Ryan will keep me safe."??

You are running a racing event and a race organizer's responsibility is to provide common sense safety measures, like having fire and ambulance equipment, tech inspections, keeping spectators off the track, etc. In this case, having hand sanitizer and a few extra masks available for people who need them might make sense, if you want to do that. You cannot prevent racers from crashing and you cannot prevent racers from being exposed to germs and viruses. They are all a part of life.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    badvolvo, raven and Racer29 like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

I would first ask the question "with what we know now how many of you people would really come if it were held." Not the wishful thinkers, but the people who would really show up. Or you could PM all the people that showed up last year for the drags and ask them the same question. Just because you hold the drags doesn't mean enough people will show up under the conditions we are living under now.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There are still over 1000 people dying each day in the US from Coronavirus. Its pretty easy to be cavalier about that if you don't personally know any of them. Now imagine your children or spouse getting infected... Its just not worth it in my opinion..... Just my .02

slim38 likes this.
  26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the HAMB Drags were in August? I don't believe the daily death rate today is relevant to an August event. Even if you trust the statistics, looking at the daily fatality trends, they should be quite low by August. And the fatalities are not spread evenly across the general population. Most people are not at significant risk, even if they happen to get the virus, which itself is a low risk at something like a drag race. But again, if you and/or your family members have an elevated risk, and the rates are not significantly improved by August, then just don't go.

Just to put this in perspective, if you go to WALMART with a loose fitting mask and get COVID from some mouth-breather who takes his mask off to sneeze, is WALMART liable? No, they are not. And I would imagine that the HAMB Drags is a less risky environment than WALMART.

badvolvo likes this.
  27. derbydad276

derbydad276

As of today... The Relix Riot is still a Go !....Woodward Dream Cruise is a GO !!!...
    & The St Ignace weekend is still a Go !!!!
    Central Michigan University says they Will start in September...
    My wife works for the University of Michigan's school of Public Health ...
    Epidemiology.... they have told her as of right now she will be back in her office in September...
    Hows that for Positive .....

NoSurf likes this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cancel, schedule for next year.......we will party like there is no tomorrow.

Baumi likes this.
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Although I live only 90 minutes from Mo-Kan, I've never been. Always had a family thing to do the same weekend. This year I plan to attend. I will send in my registration, and if it gets canceled, I will gladly donate to Mo-Kan. We have no idea what the health situation will be in Asbury, Missouri on August 22, but we can plan to go and if it works out that it's not a good idea, at least we tried. Here is Mo-Kan's schedule
    http://www.mokandragway.com/schedule/

guthriesmith likes this.