Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2020 Banger Meet Thread - 4 are Essential***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2020.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I did it...I'll get a picture of it tomorrow

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

there are lots of places that sell great throttle cables .

3. try Control Cables in Santa Fe Springs, Ca.
    562 949 0455 www.controlcables.com
    I quit trying to shop around, these are the real deal and know applications.
    Besides, they have all the hardware you will ever need.
    I make enough trouble for myself.................J

Old Dawg likes this.
  4. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

First time caller, long time listener, checking in. I have dual strombergs with no choke cable or rod needed. I just pump the "go pedal" a few times and she lights off instantly. Snyder's 6-1 head installed, 39 trans. put in last week. Pretty excited about that. 20200104_131018.jpeg 20200426_121317.jpeg 20200411_161106.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

GuyW, Steves46, Shutter Speed and 8 others like this.
  5. I think Ive seen the TROG build thread for this or something?
    Looks like a fun car!

6. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Yessir, that's me. Had a few ups, a few downs, a huge learning curve and LOTS of help from Hambers. I've been super appreciative of all. It's definitely a fun little car and an ongoing project. I submitted my package to race and fingers crossed, I get picked up next month. At least I think they start notifying next month.

7. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

While I'm here, I've got a few things that I could let go of...even though other people are having seller's remorse...anybody interested in an open drive transmission (1946?) unprofessionally rebuilt following the van pelt book, 78-7006 case, and/or a '31 model A transmission? Both shift smooth. Can't speak for the 46 as I went for a closed drive, but the 31 was working great when I swapped to the '39. I do suppose that most of you are looking for more speed, like I was, and double clutching is a little anti-more speed. But thought I'd ask. Lemme know. 20200508_123559.jpeg View attachment 4681928 20200508_123548.jpeg

Shutter Speed and Old Dawg like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

you have to be 'picked' to run TROG? what is it? a personality contest?..I always lose those personality contests..

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I hear that it helps to wear period correct underwear. The whole thing looks like dress up day at the beach to me.

GuyW and burl like this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Maybe Im out of the loop,I thought assholes who ran 'invitationals' golfed or held cocktail parties.Purists do that,exclude a car cause its not up to 'standards'...

11. I wouldn't join a club that would have me. Or you...

Except maybe the monthly four banger club...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Jet96, fur biscuit and Crazydaddyo like this.
  12. Or, I wouldn't work for a company that would hire me twice.
    I don't see the appeal, I guess I have a different definition of "race" it reminds me of a sorority house.
    Especially the young lady who was the starter in NJ, nice distraction on the starting line.

Oh well, back to work, J

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i apparently missed the starter girl ..............

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's a good way to lose via holeshot.

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick question, are you running a panhard bar on either end of your race car?

16. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

I see where you all are coming from, and I know you’re mostly kidding around, but I enjoy watching the videos of TROG. I agree that some of those guys take the period costumes and what-not farther than I would, but that’s their business. At the end of the day, their standards for the cars aren’t all that different than those on this site, or at least the traditional hot rods part of it. I imagine they have to limit participation, for legal and liability reasons, if nothing else. They are exposing traditional hot rodding to a whole new audience. That’s a good thing, ain’t it? That flag girl is attractive, seems kind of like the modern version of some of those ladies that show up in some of the old salt flats pictures.

Jet96, Bigcheese327 and poshdbs like this.
  17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

It seems to me that the TROG people take themselves to seriously IMO. I can understand the spirit of the event but it seems things got too serious when they went from fun grudge races to actual brackets and classes. With the injury that that guy had on his bike a few years ago they are now requiring roll bars too. I also dont feel I have to dress up in some costume to enjoy my car either. I enjoy the Dirt Drags and the Hill Climb as the restrictions are a bit looser and a costume is not required for the event. My car wouldnt even be considered for a trog event because of the T-5 and alternator (it also might be too shiny). Its sad because I drive my car more and have put more effort into its building it than many of the cars I see pictures of from the event. It seems that too many cars are being thrown together with bailing wire (Duct Tape isnt period correct) for a couple passes down the beach and not much else. Ultimately Entrants are selected by the promoters and they didn't ask my opinion about it so I guess I have no arguments in this debate.

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  18. Yeah - we have similar restrictions at Pendine. The race licence issued by the sanctioning body limits the number of entries, so they're chosen from the applications to get a fair spread of entries per class where possible.

fur biscuit and poshdbs like this.
  19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I can understand limiting numbers. I Have run Mooneyes drags several times. I won't do it any more because sitting in line all day to run twice isn't my idea of a good time.

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you . excellent film . great cars & bikes . plus ..... the flag girl has great cheeks

21. poshdbs

poshdbs

Check out the French flag girls at Normandy Beach Race. Hmmm! 71752585_682915252223543_6663926464536117248_o.jpg 71554089_682916222223446_4477211842225111040_o.jpg 71650888_682915752223493_8832861438365138944_o.jpg 72529884_682923875556014_4957354512646930432_o.jpg 71651162_682915485556853_2933550533903908864_o.jpg 71868849_682916068890128_5971559237996773376_o.jpg

Attached Files:

22. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Lots of opinions I didn't expect on here. Maybe the quarantined are relieving stress through their keyboards?

When I first heard about the event, I thought it sounded awesome. I still think it's awesome and I haven't been yet. As far as I know, and my knowledge is limited, there aren't events near me that promote period-specific rules. There arent events, period. No hill climbs, no clubs, no drags. There's a biannual cruise and car show but it has mostly newer or custom show cars. I think TROG is unique and interesting. If you think otherwise, maybe you should stop reading this. It will probably save you from heartache.

I didn't grow up back then (post WWII era) but I can understand the appeal of a soldier returning from war wanting to let loose a little after witnessing something terrible and nearly losing their life while most certainly knowing someone who did lose their life. I can understand not having the money to build a fun car but doing the best you can or scraping to find used parts that may or may not work. I can get behid the idea of tinkering and being satisfied by a job well done or even just putting in the hard work.

My grandfathers served in WWII and the Korean War. My uncle served during the cold war and Desert Storm. I chose to join after 9/11. I've deployed. I don't know for sure because of different times, but I can understand what they felt and how they responded by souping up a car or bike to simply have some fun. Fun IS what it's all about. My fun isn't your fun. Your idea of fun may not be my idea. Everybody is different.

To be 100% honest, what I witnessed AFTER returning from war was just as bad as what I saw in Iraq, albeit in a different way. Not to go on a tangent, but I witnessed a 'privileged' life and a sense of entitlement from many people that I hadn't seen before. It was unwarranted. It was unnecessary. It was disgusting to hear someone DEMAND that a meal or a Starbucks Coffee be returned for being wrong and/or a refusal to pay for a service provided. I think it's awful to try to say what you think is right or wrong or what 'should' or 'should not' be fun for someone, other than yourself, when you're sitting behind a keyboard. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one...doesn't mean everybody wants to hear it. If your Starbucks Coffee being wrong was the worse thing to happen to you that day, it was a pretty damn good day by comparison. People are dying right now because of a pandemic but your focus is to talk shit or downplay somebody else's idea of what looks to be a good time? Does it make you feel like any better of a person to think you're right when it's your opinion that somebody's period-correct underwear is silly? Come on.

I agree with a previous post that some people are just trying to be funny and i enjoy a sense of humor. But others make it seem like their way is the highway and the rest of us are just plain dumb.

On top of all that, I didn't expect the banger meet forum to be the place to commence an online bullying event. What is wrong with you? This is the place to come together and help each other out, no? If my words are making you adjust in your chair, if you're getting angry right now, YOU'RE THAT GUY. What makes you so entitled? Why do you think it's necessary to spread ANYTHING negative on this message board?

I still feel that 99 out of 100 members of the HAMB are honest, good people. I just hate the spoiled eggs who let themselves in or who weren't invited to the party. Stop thinking about yourself.

Shutter Speed, Randall and poshdbs like this.
  23. Not to knock TROG, but they declined me for media coverage.

I snuck in, shot the event, and now have the most watched video of their event.

24. poshdbs

poshdbs

And my banger racing there. 70873682_959936071011523_6342857451338989568_o.jpg

25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I Like the TROG and all the attention it has brought to traditional hot rods. I understand about the limited registration and the criteria for being in the show. I would like to attend some day and perhaps I will have a car more suited to their criteria and can run down the beach. However I feel that the point of having a good time gets lost when it becomes more of a race than just a just for fun event. If a person is looking for a competition there are many other events that they can race at where there are many safety protocols in place. After participating in several Dirt Drags and Hill climbs, these are my opinions about how I feel these type of events and people can take them with a grain of salt.

poshdbs likes this.
  26. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

No offense, nbdyhome2, but I don’t really see any bullying going on. I think they were just pulling your leg a little.

27. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

Eh, maybe. No offense taken. But man, I'd still like to race and I still think it's damn cool. Plus I've been working my ass off trying to build a car that is accepted.

poshdbs likes this.
  28. NbdyHome2

NbdyHome2

29. poshdbs

poshdbs

Only won one race but it was all about the fun and atmosphere. A little TROG in France on a sunny September day and made many new European friends. Wonderful.