Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage World Of Speed Museum Closes Permanently.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, May 13, 2020.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - the World is changing

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. badvolvo

badvolvo

Not in a good way. I'm at work, trying to decide, loose money or layoff some techs. I'm keeping my crew employed for now, don't know how much longer we can hold out.

4. sdluck

sdluck

DDD this is Sad.

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Jagman

Jagman

Wonder what will happen to all the cars?

Deuces, loudbang and saltracer219 like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Probably a big auction where cars will be scattered upon the wind..
    Remember the Wentworth collection sale? Penny's on the dollar and in the economy???

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to see that, I hadn't made it down there yet. A long time popular bar and restaurant up here decided to close for good last week.
    The Cafe two miles up the road (the Branding iron) that is a popular stop for truck drivers and folks coming up 97 from Oregon put in a drive up/walk up window this past week. They have used the time to do some serous remodeling though. Things they could never do when they are open 24/7 365 days a year.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes , sad indeed .

dana barlow likes this.
  9. A large part of the Vehicles on display there are privet owned and on loan for display. I'm not positive but may have been 100% of them. That's one of the reasons they could make going there 4 times a year a different experience each time. Yes, it's a sad time for sure. No doubt more like it to come.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm on the Board of Ed at my church and we've been struggling with keeping our pre-school and after-school programs alive during this shutdown. So far we've been able to keep all the teachers on staff thru April, we forloughed some for May, but all savings will be used up for that. For June we were approved for funding from the small business funds from the gov't. After that, who knows.

11. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

12. Understandable,,still sad though.

Deuces, 5window and loudbang like this.
  13. Anderson is not a small town but it doesn't rival big city's, I was informed today that a local 4th generation restaurant will not reopen, Brenda is struggling to keep the doors open at her shop due to the lack of her main suppliers being closed.

It's gonna get worse around the country before it gets better. :( HRP

14. Squablow

Squablow

Says in the article "The museum’s assets will be distributed to other museums and schools over the next three to eight months, its board of directors said." So whatever wasn't on loan is going to go to other museums and the tech school stuff will go to other schools, sounds like.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP--so true--very sad situation for many folks. Hoping for the best for all in these tough times.

Deuces, cfmvw, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

We each can take precautions to protect against the virus
    but, it seems we can't protect ourselves from the politicians.
    Freedom is better than "Free-Dumb".
    Bet that museum could have remained open safely.

Muttley, 31hotrodguy, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Horrible news @Marty Strode but thanks for sharing. That was a great local attraction, a place to learn from and honor those who were the founding fathers of our go fast sport. So very sad. It was said prior and received with much disdain, "I hope the cure is not worse than the disease" I fear history may prove it so.

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Danny have Brenda check into a PPP loan. It has 1%interest will pay wages taxes etc. what you use in 8 weeks time isn’t charged to you at all. We got one for the UVC club so at the end of 8 weeks we will pay back what hasn’t been used and only pay interest on that amount

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Sorry to read this. It is a nice facility with a ever changing display. I am guessing the Corona lockdown will kill a number of businesses that survived month to month.

Sporty45 and loudbang like this.
  20. saltracer219

saltracer219

They own a few of the cars but I believe most of them are on loan to them.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

loudbang likes this.
  22. I add my dismay at this news to what others have said. I was just there last October and had a great visit. Especially liked the belly tank racer garage display.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. We were supposed to tour this collection as part of Vintage Thunderbird Club International's International Convention in Portland in mid-August. With Portland area in a virtual lock-down thru July who knows what's yet to come?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a shame.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Auto museums are becoming a thing of the past just like the cars in them. I was surprised last year when the Tupelo MS auto museum closed and auctioned off everything. People just don’t go visit them like they used too. I’m sure there are some still in good shape like the Peterson museum in CA, but the overhead is killing lots of them. Can you imagine the cost of a insurance policy for even a small museum, especially if it contains something rare? And the cost of real estate keeps going up, developers think they can make better use of a property than to house a bunch of old cars. I think smaller private collections are the future, where sadly only a few people will ever get to enjoy them.

I’ve always heard that hard times build strength. There are a lot of businesses that will not make it through the hard times, but those that do will be stronger, and those that don’t make it will be replaced in many cases by others. In the early 1900’s, there were something like 300 different auto makers in the US, most didn’t make it, those that did combined with others to increase their strength in many cases. The strong find a way to survive, the weak give up and quit....

26. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

This sucks! I never got a chance to check it out! The location was also used for the weekly "Cars and Coffee" event. So the are now without a location too. Sad dismal times we are living through.

loudbang likes this.
  27. pumpman

pumpman

Someone once sang “The times are a changing” me being an old fart I pray for my kids and grandkids. I don’t like what’s going on in OUR traditional world but we seem to come out the other side stronger. Let’s look for a little more flattery/banger power and kick some ass!

badvolvo and loudbang like this.
  28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That's too bad. This was a great museum. Sorry to see it go.

loudbang likes this.
  29. What I read too.........

Squablow, clem and loudbang like this.