Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help! Somebody With a Speedway Motors '27 Track T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trethewey, May 12, 2020.

1. Trethewey

Trethewey

I think I'd like to build a Speedway Motors '27 Track T, but I rilly need some measurements off the frame to see if what I have in mind is even doable. I've bought both Speedway's ever-so-informative, well-photographed build manual and Dennis Parks' book AND talked to Speedways' sales guys...

...and here I am wondering if somebody out there with the kit's frame & body could take some measurements for me?

Ed

loudbang likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good luck .:) I can’t remember which mag but a few years back (Rod and Custom)? Did a Speedway T kit and I believe trying a low budget build . Maybe there was some info. in the article.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You may want to tell us what measurements you’re wanting ;)

4. Trethewey

Trethewey

Thanks!

I saved a Hot Rod Magazine that built one Speedway's T kits, but twasn't the '27 Track T "kit" I'm interested in.
    The Speedway Track T has a pinched-nose frame using a Vega steering box and cross-steer steering, limiting lower left side engine room as well as effective radiator space.
    While I'm using a widdle 4-cylinder wheezer in place of an engine, I'm still concerned about radiator/engine length and width fitment. Plus I'm building an engine startup/run-in cradle and I'd like to go ahead build the engine mounts and mount system and header now, as part of the cradle and setup, which will transfer to the actual completed go-kart, I mean "car".
    Eddie

5. Trethewey

Trethewey

DO'H!
    Let's start with a pretty simple one--lower radiator extension clearance.
    Utilizing Speedway's front axle and steering packages, what is the clearance at full lock between the back of the front axle and the leading edge of the tie rod?
    I could cipher this'n out, or build a mockup out of wood and junk bolts--but I have no real exact idea of the kingpin/spindle angles at a real full lock.
    The radiator can only be 12-3/4" inches wide, so if I can build one that will drop down in that space 'tween moving axle and tie rod it would be (wait for it) cool! (sorry):rolleyes:
    Eddie

6. And what might this be?

Most anything is doable, but it really helps to have actual parts to mock up.

Moriarity likes this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes you will need the actual parts for a mock-up. Guessing doesn’t work in this game

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You’re not going to fit a radiator between a tie rod and the axle I can tell you that much right now. A lot of track nose cars out the Radiator in front of the axle. Depending on nose shape it may be slanted to fit with the top further back

9. low down A

low down A

speedway's T kit car's are very basic simple affordable entry level car's it's up to the buyer or builder to bolt together as is or do your rocket science on it

10. Or could the radiator be moved under the back turtle deck - with a fan ?

11. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why can the radiator only be 12 3/4" wide?

12. Phil1934

Phil1934

Civic half size radiators are about 14" wide and cheap

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Easiest way to do things, is just do them (for me anyhow)
    If you do facebook theres several t bucket groups. Probably someone on there could get the measurement you need. BUT be prepared for 1 person to answer your question, and 50 others to tell you they have a big block with a blower and what radiator they have.
    Almost like the HAMB, ha!

41rodderz likes this.