Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Poncho power steering help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, May 11, 2020.

1. AGELE55

AGELE55

Any insight/ lessons learned, etc installing power steering in a 30s fat fender?
    Specifically, I'm shopping for a power steering gear box. What are your thoughts on stop to stop ratios? I'm seeing 3, 3 1/2, 4, 4 1/2 rotations stop to stop. I'm leaning towards the 3 1/2 variety used in the early 70s Camaro, Chevelle, etc.
    Just thought I'd grab some input before hitting the "BUY" button.
    Thanks ya'll.

2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I can’t help you ( my frame is not stock ) but I have a ws6 (trans am ) box, 3 1/2 turns I like it a lot.

AGELE55 likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about some more pictures of the front suspension? Someone here should be able to come up with good suggestions even if we have never seen a '39 Pontiac.

4. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks Bill. I may be overthinking it all but back in the day, I'd simply grab a gearbox from the salvage yard for cheap and be pretty sure I could make work. Now all the old school stuff has gone the way of the dinosaurs. I'm now faced with blindly ordering a new or rebuilt box and hoping for the best. My pitman arm is 1 1/4" , which I just learned. Trying to keep it, so learning about number of teeth, diameters, etc. Then theres the bolt pattern issue where I'll need to adapt it to my frame. Fun stuff, once I find a suitable box. Just wish I had one for a test fit first...

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I don’t know if you could get a core steering box to mock it up (c/l or f/b or junkyard). Is 1 1/4 the out put shaft size that’s seems about what a modern box is, it could be simpler to keep the modern Pittman arm and redo the small end to fit your car. Someone on here a lot smarter than me should know more.

AGELE55 likes this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I got home and put a caliper to my gto box, 1 1/4 inch’s maybe hope for you.

AGELE55 likes this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a 40 Pontiac Coupe and I put a front steer clip on it and a couple u joints and a support to clear my 63 421 Super Duty Pontiac engine. My car was a 6 cyl model.

AGELE55 likes this.
  8. AGELE55

AGELE55

What type front steer clip?