Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front spring perch question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Justin Cuffe, May 12, 2020.

1. Justin Cuffe

Justin Cuffe

I am in the middle of sourcing all the parts to do an AV8 build and have a question regarding the front spring perch. I have a Model A frame, a 1936 axle and wishbone combo. I am thinking of keeping things somewhat original and would likely be using a set of Houdaille shocks, so I need the perch with the shock ball.

I was wondering if I should use a Model A spring perch or a later version? Is there a length difference in the various years of perches? I have a Model A one for mockup and the end of the threaded part just barely comes out the bottom (see pictures).

IMG_2717.jpg IMG_2716.jpg IMG_2715.jpg IMG_2714.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A factory nut is designed to fit up inside the hole/socket and may get enough nut to bit ?,but the wishbones do have a fatter top boss on newer year 36up then older one,so takes a longer pin same years as axle.

3. alchemy

alchemy

My little brother had the top of his late-model wishbones bored/beveled deeper. It lowers the car a little and gives you more room for the nut on the bottom.

irishsteve, deuceman32 and Fordors like this.
  4. Crankhole

Crankhole

I believe you will need to buy longer aftermarket spring perches and weld the shock mounts from your A perches onto them. There is not a factory perch long enough to do what you are trying to do.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Look at 32 34 perches. I think they are longer than the A perch.

1oldtimer likes this.
  6. Crankhole

Crankhole

I don't think they are longer since the '32 axle boss is 1/4" shorter than an A.

7. Shave and re taper the top of the wishbone. It's the only way to stay with stock parts (Model A perch pin).

I did my '35/'36 bones and a modified AA perch pin (no ball).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The AA pins modified.
    [​IMG]

deuceman32 likes this.
  8. Justin Cuffe

Justin Cuffe

That was what I was figuring I had to do to use the orignal Model A perches. How do taper the hole after grinding down the thick top perch?

9. I used a Taper reamer in a friends mill, you could use a drill press if you can clamp the part level and strong enough.