Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowered Shoebox problems

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jezaad, May 12, 2020.

1. Jezaad

Jezaad

I installed the lowered uprights from shoebox central, but now my exhaustmanifold hits the front end suspension. It has a 350 built in.
    I am planning to grinding off some metal from the suspension. Any better solutions?
    [​IMG]

2. Jezaad

Jezaad

Failure on the image uploud. I'll find out how it works and post some more pics of my driving project...

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lowered uprights should have nothing to do with exhaust hitting the suspension. The control arms don't move from their original position. I'd say you have something else going on or they hit before and this is the first time you noticed it.

4. Jezaad

Jezaad

5. Jezaad

Jezaad

Thanks for the quick reply. My English is not that good. So maybe I am using the wrong words and hopefully these pictures make sense. Now you see whats hitting the manifold.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Can you raise the engine the same amount?

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I think that's the camber correction kit. It does, indeed, raise the upper arm a bit. I need that kit for mine...hopefully it doesn't interfere with my headers on my 302.

8. I suspect you have a fractured control arm. It's moved back and it is up against your front pipe. Pull the upper arm out and closely examine it. In your picture it looks fractured but maybe I'm seeing shadows.

F-ONE likes this.
  9. Jezaad

Jezaad

It was a lot of work to get this engine in (and keeping the original steering in place). Not much room there. And I am glad it's finally in place and works excellent. I already drove it for a year of two.
    I just installed the lowered upright last week and I am happy with the looks. But there was too much vibration when I started the engine, especially on the steeringwheel. I thought I hit the steering arms somewere. but I didn't. I just noticed this thing hitting the manifold is the problem.
    Now I am wondering how much I can grind off of that without getting any (safety) problems

10. Jezaad

Jezaad

That is indeed the problem.

11. Jezaad

Jezaad

I believe the control arm is in good shape. It's because of this camber correction kit that it raised a bit.

12. TCTND

TCTND

It does look like the a arm bushings might be worn out. They are nowhere near being concentric with the trunnion.

13. Jezaad

Jezaad

20200507_142841.jpg
    Stance is way better now.
    20200424_172030.jpg
    Here it only had the lowering blocks in the back.

Robbievanb likes this.
  14. Jezaad

Jezaad

I have to get my english dictionary on this one. I don't know what you mean by 'being concentric with the trunnion'. Can you explain trunnion?

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a clearance dent in the header, it will not affect the exhaust flow at all.

Nice little 'box.

-Abone.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is something going on with that control arm either the bushing is worn out or the the bushing and shaft are worn out. look how far off center the shaft is in the bushing. Orange arrow showing that it is offset to the inside, blue arrow showing how far it has moved. That alone is throwing your caster/camber off. If you look at the other end of the shaft the bushing isn't worn as much and the shaft is more centered in the bushing. Control arm_LI.jpg

17. Jezaad

Jezaad

Thanks mr48chevy, I'll look in to that. I looked at the other side and it was indeed more centered.
    20200512_204107.jpg

And when I got it out, I ll hit it the header with a hammer for that clearance bump thanks flamedabone

18. alchemy

alchemy

Those headers are going to cook the grease out of the joints. Then they are going to harden the rubber, and it will crack.

Some tighter fitting cast iron manifolds would probably be a better choice for that car.

bobss396 likes this.
  19. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

If you “already drove it for a year or two” the heat from the header probably ruined the bushing and now that the bushing is about the control arm is hitting the header.
    If you leave those headers on you’ll be putting bushings in annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobss396 likes this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't beleive the arms have rubber bushings but are steel on steel threads. I would wedge a large screw driver between header tube and arm and see what moves. While your there put a little dent in the header like Flamedabone said.

dan c likes this.
  21. mark latham

mark latham

There is an episode of Engine Masters on MotorTrend on Demand where they tested denting headers and after denting the shit out of the thing it had just about no effect on horsepower or torque. Check/replace bushing, while its out grind a little off the back side of the control arm if possible, and dent the shit out of the header. Then wrap it in header wrap to keep some heat off the bushing.

Lepus likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New shafts and bushings aren't very expensive from Shoebox Central https://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950-1951-1952-1953-ford-upper-control-arm-shaft-bushing-kit-new They are a bit tricky to install until you get the hang of it and on that car need to be greased fairly often. Stock shoebox Fords when new got greased every thousand miles and now that doesn't get done as timely as it should. I'd take a look at the lower control arm bushings and the rest of the wear parts while I was at it. You don't want to replace one thing, then find out you have more worn out parts in a few months.

olscrounger likes this.
  23. TCTND

TCTND

Sorry, I thought you might know "trunnion" as it is a word much used in England. It is just a shaft that is used as a pivot like the lugs on the sides of old cannons, or in your case, the shaft that the control arm rotates on.
    mr48chev pointed out what I was referring to more clearly.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rubber pieces work as seals, the "bushings" screw into the A arm while screwing onto the shaft.

49-53-ford-upper-control-arm-shaft-bushing-kit.jpeg

dan c likes this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Look between the arrows.
    I believe I see a fracture as well. It may be grease. It sure looks broken.

26. Jezaad

Jezaad

I already have the so called 'blockhuggers' installed.

27. Jezaad

Jezaad

I just installed the lowering parts this week. And that's what caused this problem

28. Jezaad

Jezaad

Thanks for the comments so far. I will definitively look in to the bushing and control arm.
    Maybe there are manifolds that are even tighter than this. I will search the internet for that too.

I'll post the progress as soon as I made any.

29. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt you'll have to look too hard to find replacement headers that are much closer to the block than the ones you have. Yours appear to go straight down; proper blockhuggers run in toward the block very noticeably. I have a couple of sets. One stainless pair needed some slight relief of the collector flange as it was hitting the pan rail. The other set has better clearance, but you couldn't get a finger between the flange and the block. My bet is that you have a ton of available space you're not using.

Chris

30. I'd look at rear-dump Chevelle iron manifolds as a viable solution, I am pretty much anti-header on street cars. I use ram horns on my SBC swap in my car.