Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 42-48 ford wishbones

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wildbill29tudor, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I tried searching, and asking about this in my build thread first with no luck. Has anyone ever tried using these bones on a model a axle?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. They'll be fine split

3. Or use model A style spring perches & go spring over

4. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Yeah I was wondering if I could use them with a perches.

sko_ford likes this.

5. low31

low31

Did you end up using them? I just picked up a set from my build.

6. I just posted about this and was told nothing will fit. Sounds like you're doing ok, let us know what happened

7. You need to go back and re-read your original question and the responses. And "nothing will fit" is not quite accurate.

rusty valley likes this.
  8. I'm trying to read and understand I'm just telling you I was told nothing will fit the older A's. I'm not disagreeing with you.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

theres no such thing as nothing will fit, its just that some components work together better than others. if you have the skills you can think outside the box and reinvent the hot rod front end, but really, you dont have to, its been going on for decades. lots of model a hotrods around, most use a similar axle set up to what the model a was born with. that is, a spring over 28 to 36 axle, spring perch hole sizes change, 28to31, and 32to34, so depending on what perch you use, thats what spring you want. A stuff is cheap and everywhere. your neighbor probably has an axle under some home made trailer. the stuff is out there. 32 to 34, not so easy. your 48 brakes and spindles go on an A axle, your late wishbone would even work if you split it. i wouldnt, but it would work. it seems you know how to use the search function, so you will figger it out, or ask more here. best wishes

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What axle do you have?

What wishbone do you have?

What chassis are you working with?

There are no "older As" they were made from 1928-1931. All passenger car/light truch parts interchange in those years. Ford car and light truck stuff, until the last of the beam axle era, can largely be adapted.

So, a more clear statement would be "most stuff fits model As".

I am happy to help solve your puzzle.

11. clem

clem

12. alchemy

alchemy

Make sure you use some new aftermarket perches if you use the 42-48 wishbones. The late wishbones are thicker in the perch area, and the new perches are usually longer at the stud, so they reach. The new perches are made longer for those bolt-on lower shock mounts.

13. Yeah I'm capable, was just looking for reference to make it easier to find parts. Thanks

14. I have a 30 frame, I have both original axel spring and wish bones and just picked up a 42 -47 front end. I'd like to use spindles and brakes from 42-47 but I think it's from a truck cause the springs are really tall.

15. alchemy

alchemy

A 42-47 car front end has a transverse spring. A pickup front end has parallel springs. What does your front end have?

Carter likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are using a Model A frame, and Model A axle, you will need to stick with a Model A spring. The later spring is 2" wide, while the Model A spring is 1-3/4" wide. The later spring is longer, as it mounts out front, not on top.

My recommendation is: Model A axle, spring, spring perches (aftermarket ones are longer, and will work/work better), and shackles. Take the later wishbone, and split it, cut the forward spring mounts off, and grind smooth, and attach it to the frame in the conventional hot rod fashion.

You can split a Model A wishbone, but you end up with short links, and they are not as strong as the later ones.

Brakes go right on, but you should refresh the kingpins and bushings (cheap at a machine shop).

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spring is taller than an A spring, because it mounts lower, and has to go higher.

Not to mention that later cars are heavier, and need more spring.

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've never heard of a A wishbone failure because it was weak. Any examples ?

19. mkubacak

mkubacak

He stated it is not as strong as the later wishbones. Compare the two and you will see.

gimpyshotrods, X38 and clem like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen two get bent, but both had blown Hemis up top. Each has one side bend just behind the forged yoke that goes around the axle. Both were in the late 1990s, so no camera phone.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  21. I've never seen parrallel springs on Ford front end

22. This sounds reasonable and I'm gonna use the 42-47 spindles and brakes

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford trucks, in the era of your car front axle, were parallel.

[​IMG]

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I parted out a 42-47 Ford truck and it had parallel leaves front and rear. Still have the axle that came out of it.

Carter and gimpyshotrods like this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy

Learnt something new.

Carter and X38 like this.
  26. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I too have the same question that the original poster asked. Not much info out there on this. I was also told buy a HAMBER that a 1946 ford wishbone would work well. I dont know if it would need to be modified or not. I know the perch thickness is the same and the bones are longer.

I have a 1931 tudor with stock axle and springs. I have installed a flathead and toploader transmission. I have the F1 crossmember installed. My wishbone is obviously too short to reach the crossmember to mount. i do not want to split the wishbone.

Is this a good choice? I need to buy the whole car to get this. Then part out what i dont need.

Or should i keep looking for a 37-41?

27. alchemy

alchemy

A 46 wishbone is longer than an A. But you will still need to do modifications to make it reach the custom crossmember you installed. Probably need to shorten it a bit, but it’s easy to do.

There are plenty of those wishbones out there, I don’t know why you need to buy a whole car to get one. Have patience and watch the classifieds.

28. Koz

Koz

My personal favorites under a dropped A. Check out the pics for the "Philly Coupe". I'm using the same on my Vicky, just scored from silent rick.