Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old cars used for fill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikeszcz, May 7, 2020.

1. 1934coupe

1934coupe

69 Impala or Caprice. I had one with a 396, TH400, 12 Bolt. Didn't look like that though.

Pat

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. reunionponthood.jpg That's me trying to get the 39 Pontiac hood emblem....never did get it. The 59 Ford had some body parts.

blowby, Tman, 54delray and 2 others like this.
  3. Correct - what they had to do actually - was burn the cars - before turning them in. In about 1973 or so - they still would not take them with the seats in them and the gas take - spent a summer a crushing yard pulling seats - tires and the gas tank - which they buried under the yard.

4. Not only was it a waste back then, but it made the riverbanks look like crap...
    By the way, you only see Chevys because all the Fords have already rusted away...

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

there was a farm near me that for about a 1/2 mile the fence posts were model T frame rails...thats a lot of model T's

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

The old guy (old in 1972) that had the biggest junk yard in town had the yard located near the river, in the flood plain. When he scrapped cars, he cut the frames and suspension off, then ran the bodies over with a D9 cat. Every spring he would push a bunch of the smashed car bodies over to the edge into the river. Then all summer he had guys bring their busted up cement and other fill and dump on top of those car bodies. He would push the fill over top of the car bodies with the cat and pack it down. He would build up an area at lest 5 ' above the highest flood stage, then start in a different area.
    Over the course of 20 or 30 years he had been doing that (before the early 70s), his yard space nearly doubled. The city was doing the same thing down the road a mile or so, at the city dump. I think they were probably getting the car bodies from the junk yard guy, when people brought they stuff to the dump, they pushed that stuff over top of the car bodies.

For many years (I'm 63 now) that area of town escaped most floods, and over the years, several buildings were built in the area. In recent years, the flood waters have once again began to overtake some of those places. I suspect those car bodies are finally starting to deteriorate enough the land level is dropping back to where it originally was. I know of at least 4 or 5 areas around town that were built up in the same way, some of them are pretty big areas, some have had buildings built on them and some have not had buildings built on them. One area is at least 10-12 feet higher then most of the surrounding land.

I know of a lot of places car bodies were pushed into reveins to stop corrosion, some places you can still see the car bodies if you are below the point they were pushed in at, and some are overgrown enough you have to know they are there. Its pretty apparent they did what they were intended to do, stop the corrosion.

These days, they just use big rocks. Gene

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To us, it's a waste, but when that was done, they were unwanted junk. Best way to look at is how much more valuable it made the survivors.

8. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Gotta put cinder blocks behind it too get it out of it perdicument

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

About 5 miles from here there is a good stretch of the Carson River lined wit old cars. There was a still pretty nice '36-'37 Chevy convertible, it still had the top bows. When I moved here in '72 the town dump had 20-30 old cars, several '30s to early '40s Fords. They were all pushed into a big hole and crushed by a big doze and covered up in the late '70s. I the early '90s a couple of guys just out side of town closed their NOS & used Packard parts business. About 20 pre '50s Packards got the same treatment along with a lot of the parts. Most of the parts came from the Harrah's collection when it was sold off.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  10. A pal saved a 32 Sedan and a few parts from a setting like that. I think I sold the Cdan on here.

11. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Here in Milwaukee, there is a large area of land near my childhood home where there are hundreds of cars buried and covered with dirt.
    The land is about 10 feet higher than the railroad tracks that run along it. As a kid, we would dig into the hillside along the tracks and find the hulls to make forts in. Usually after a few days you couldn’t go back in because of raccoons or possum. Lived there from 1970 till the 90s.
    Surprisingly, I dug out a tail light from a 1963 Ford from there once, also removed a steering wheel from one for my bike! so... It couldn’t have been done all that long before I had moved there.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were the equivalents of 1982 Civics and Corollas, today.

Nothing worth saving.

The37Kid, Six Ball and Ned Ludd like this.
  13. Impala Custom, I believe.
    Mike, it's probably a 350 with 441 heads..Might still be good for a Stocker!!

14. Looks like the ghost of hot rods past was hanging around while you were working!

[​IMG]

Six Ball, 57Custom300 and blowby like this.
  15. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

And those heads fermenting in that soil under the rock may have increased the flow in those 441’s!

Mark Yac likes this.
  16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

They are makeshift gabions. They are supposed to let water through, reduce the pressure behind the wall.

Burning makes sense. Organic content can decompose and allow subsidence.

jebbesen likes this.
  17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

In 76 when I worked at the Carson City Appeal, we had some local kids there and talked of the day when the V&T closed the line and they took the left-overs from the yard to the Carson City dump and just off-loaded it into the pit. Lanterns, switches, tools, office stuff anything that couldn't be scrapped.

Six Ball likes this.
  18. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

When I was in junior high, a friend's dad had a used car lot. We got to strip some of the used up cars. I remember a 50 Ford 2 door. We got it down to just a body & then his dad pushed it into the ravine behind the shop. Today there is an apartment building there.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

About that time the state of Nevada had the chance to buy the old stone V&T shop near Mills park for $2.00. They didn't see any value in it. It was later sold to a California winery that dismantled it and took the huge stones to California. It still had a lot of the heavy machinery in it.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great song, what do the Plymouth people think?
    Plymouth-Rock-1620-Sand.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Chevy- Like a Rock!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late '60s, there were numerous railroad tracks running through town in Flatonia, Texas, north of the main line. The railroad pulled them up because of abandonment policies. Just north of the last track was a mini graveyard of old stuff. While the equipment was there, the town "leaders" talked the operators into digging a huge ditch. I remember several Model A coupes plus a '28-'30 Chevy phaeton being deposited in that hole. Made me sick and I was only a kid.

Texas Webb likes this.