Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this Broken?/UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 11, 2020.

1. Ok got the 3 speed out of my project to clean and reseal.. It is the later 78-7006 case not sure on what gears it has tho.
    I am new to opening up a manual trans to do bearing and reseal, When I got the top off I was looking in and noticed on the output shaft that it looks like teeth are missing? Took a couple if pics, I know they are not the best. Now when I went looking for another rear shaft I did find a pic of a older shaft that seemed to have what looked like oil groove in it similar to mine. Need to know if this is normal or do I have to find another shaft.
    Also what is this gearing change/update that can be don't with these cases?

20200510_173308.jpg

20200511_045046.jpg

s-l500.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Yes, I would say you have broken teeth. Just look at the grain on the broken part to see it was chipped off. I can't answer your other question.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. No doubt about it, replacement time. HRP

4. squirrel

squirrel

Those are splines, not teeth, and they are broken...and it might affect how the gear slides on the shaft. Or it might not.

5. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Dont know were you are located but a good source of information as well as parts is Vanpelt Sales. Their early Ford transmission "how to" book is rated very highly.

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe the splines are broken or they just have collected enough grime to make them look broken. I´d pull the shaft , clean it and see what´s going on.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Yes, they are broken... as 38bill said; you need to contact Mac VanPelt for parts, and get his book while you're at it.

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The last picture does not look broken to me. I do not know why it is cut like that or if it is good to use. But I am the only one that does not think it is broke; I could be wrong.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

There is definitely some visible damage. Looks like rebuild time.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

There are grooves cut into the angled splines, as a result of cutting the straight splines. But you can see fractured metal on the ends of the angled splines, along with the normal straight cuts.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've gone to all the trouble to pull the trans and open it up. So why wouldn't you replace it even if it might be OK? Parts aren't unobtainium just get in touch with Mac Van Pelt (or another REPUTABLE) parts supplier and do it right the first time? Take it from me who knew better than to half ass something but did it anyway only to have to do it all over again the right way.

12. I always Intended to do it right. Tranny shifted good by hand and also spun no binds.. Just shocked when I seen the teeth/splines chunked off.
    Will do my searching for a new shaft.

Now any one know about gear upgrade?
    I bet @alchemy would...

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

they are made like that. i cant tell you why, but thats how they are. the gear with the thrust washer is second, it stops against the shoulder of the hacked up splines, and the sliding gear behind it is 1st and never slides far enough to contact that area. here's one i pulled from the scrap pile here. yours does look like more chunks missing, but again that area never touches anything IMG_0654.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  14. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Take a look at my video, at 12:29 I explain the grooves in the shaft. In your pics it's hard to tell if there is more (damage) there than what is supposed to be.

15. squirrel

squirrel

it could just be caked on grease that makes it look damaged.

Take it apart, clean it up, take some more pictures.

Baumi likes this.
  16. Great video Aaron,,,,,that really explains a lot .

Tommy

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Aaron D. like this.
  17. Aaron,
    Thnx for the vid it helped, Not hard at all taking this thing apart at all.
    Now wait for the bearing and seal kit to arrive, Also Thnx to 38bill for van pelts info GREAT site for info. Now I know that shaft is 36-39 and with help from pics it is suppose to be made that way.
    After taking apart and some clean up it looks good..

20200511_191056.jpg
    20200511_191122.jpg

@Aaron D.
    I am glad my trans was not as NASTY dirty as yours YUK !

20200511_174847.jpg

chryslerfan55, Tim, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  18. rusty valley

rusty valley

van pelts transmission book is a good investment

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. rusty valley

rusty valley

the later front bearing retainers have a real seal in them. good swap if you can get one

loudbang likes this.
  20. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Back in the day, Lincoln Zephyr gears were the fad. 1st and 2nd had slightly higher (lower numerically) ratios, so at the expense of a little lower gear acceleration, you could move your shift points up to a higher mph. This was a good trade off for a rod, which was typically much lighter and more powerful, not needing the higher 1st gear torque multiplication of the standard Ford gearset. The net effect being engine torque multiplication would be available longer in each gear.

The benefits of this has become very marginal vs today's astronomical prices!

I think '49 to '51 Mercury gearsets will fit (not output shaft), but I suspect the ratios are the same as old Fords; you'd have to do some research.

21. clem

clem

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_transID_3speed-gears.htm

I can see why everyone thought that they were broken, because they are all cut differently.
    Your cleaned up ones look okay. ( but I’m no expert ).
    Follow the link above and look at the 2nd & 3rd photos, looks pretty familiar .
    Weird the first time you discover this....... I know.

loudbang likes this.
  22. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Aaron,
    Outstanding video - got a couple trans to go thru and you make it look easy!
    thanks

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Aaron D. like this.
  23. Well dang, it's not broke... which is a good thing!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Yeh a good thing.. since no OT for the last month and half having to get a part that was not accounted for takes away from other things...

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Zephyr trans had a little more going for them than just ratio change.One of the weak spots in the Ford trans was the mesh between the front main drive gear and the cluster gear .the 28 tooth and the 29 tooth clusters used a smaller front main drive gear, which consequently was weaker than the 25 and 26 tooth Zephyrs and their larger front main drive gears.
    Been too long ago and I don't recall the tooth count on those front main drives, but they were larger OD and more teeth, also stronger.

26. Well after a little time some reading and such..
    As we already know the main shaft was Indeed okeee dokeee..
    So I got a bearing and gasket kits, and ripped it apart.

20200522_130548.jpg
    Set out clean and rdy..

20200522_170310.jpg

Main shaft installed getting rdy to set the cluster..

20200522_184720.jpg

And all done shifts nice and smoooooooth.

Now clean and rebuild rear mount the rubber has seen better days..

15901990631826713964474010439947.jpg

27. clem

clem

What you have is exactly the same as I took out of my sedan last year. Same case, same gears and same shifter tower .
    I thought it was a ‘36 - ‘39 box, going from van pelts website.
    Others may comment.......

28. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

After rebuilding mine I used Macs 600W. Second gear syncro would always grind unless I shifted real slow. I changed to 140 and it got a little better. I changed again to 90 and now it shifts really well.

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

One of the few places I use STP

30. rusty valley

rusty valley

if that rubber mount is still all intact around the rear bearing retainer, its good for another half century. new ones are hard, cause vibration, and crack to pieces. GL4 is the lube to use, noncorrosive on the brass parts

dirty old man likes this.