Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 39 chevy spindle help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, May 11, 2020.

1. Ive read that 39-48 chevy ifs spindles are all the same. But I notice the part number for 37-40 inner bearing is different than part number for 41-46 chevy. Did the spindle diameter change or only the bearing and race?

2. Reason I ask is my 39 chevy has a 5 lug set up off a 50 chevy car. I wanna put disc brakes on my car but I not sure if they swapped out my spindles to run those. I did add 39?-48 drop knuckles and they fit but not sure if the swapped out my spindles or they all the same

3. Only thing I can think of would be if you know both part numbers for the two bearings look them up in a bearing spec book,and see if the two share a common id.Any good parts store will have a spec book.You might even find a on line listing.

4. I tried there book don't go that far back. My inner says 707902

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Calipers are your friend.

There are likely bearings that will work, but you might be the one who has to prove the path.

6. The 53/54 Chevy car drums were the bolt on for early cars and tri 5 trucks 55-57 trucks....most likely what you have is a stock spindle - BUT WITHOUT PICTURES - how would we know what you have !

7. I see ECI sells a complete disc brake kit for 37-40 or 41-48. Comes with everything. I just wanna make sure I buy thw right kit

Attached Files:

8. It looks like the mounted 49 50 chevy drums to my spindles. But I seen chevs 40s has a 37 40 inner bearing number and a 41 54 inner bearing number. So I'm wondering did soneone put 41 48 spindles on my car? Or are all 39-48 spindles the same and the bearings and race different

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got 100-spoke Gold Daytons on that thing?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The kit likely only differs by the inner bearing. I cannot find a size reference for that.

It might be worth a call to ECI to verify.

11. Lol hell no those are rollers I don't wanna dirty my whitewalls just finish painting the car I'm running artilleries

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice. There is a steady demand for those adapters. Not worth a ton, but people are always asking after them.

13. 24riverview

24riverview

Inside diameter of inner bearing changed (and diameter of spindle), you put the later brakes on by using just the early inner bearing cone, the rest of the bearing was the same. Just see what inside dimension of inner bearing cone is to tell what year spindle-
    20200512_083115.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  14. BINGO thank you the inner bearing says 909552

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE!

What book is that? I need it!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran into the same thing on some truck spindles, A friend gave me and axle a while back and when I pulled it apart to swap hubs and backing plates I found that it had the smaller inner bearings on it. Looking back to 1973 I had to swap inner bearings on my 48 when I changed from Huck brakes to 54 Chevy wagon brakes but it may have had an earlier axle under it as there were a few previous owner mix and match pieces on it.
    The good thing here is that lowrodderchev now knows what he has along with others being aware that there is a difference between years as far as the ID on the inner bearing goes.

lowrodderchev likes this.
  17. 24riverview

24riverview

18. Measured it my spindle is 1 9/32 the race is 1 7/8 OD. 1 17/64 ID so looks like it's a 41 48 spindle

gimpyshotrods likes this.