Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford front spring sizes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by greaserchief, May 11, 2020.

1. Is there a thread already? Looking for tech on different years Ford made different size front springs and Axel's. Cars and trucks. I've heard and read some are the same and some are different. I'd like to know what year and model have. I'm about to put a 42-47 axle and spindle setup on my 30 frame, but when looking at aftermarket parts it can be confusing. Help

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

you dont want that late axle on a model a frame. the spring perch pin location is wider than the spring over axles, 28-34, wont fit a model a wishbone, has tire rub problems from being too wide etc. 35-36 same as model a pin locations too. A axles are a dime a dozen, your spindles and brakes will bolt on, and its made for an A frame. also, A thru 34 same width, 1 3/4"

3. Thanks, my plan was to use the whole front end from the 42-47 but use a shorter spring. I'm building an open front end.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you talking spring-out-front, or spring-on-top?

5. Either, I'm just trying to find info on width of springs and Axel's.

6. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

A short "A" style spring won't work on a 37? And later axle due to the spring perches being farther apart. Wishbones are much longer so you'll have to split them and add brackets off the frame however, now your tires are going to rub the bones
    You'd need to run the spring in the stock location (infront of the axle) which won't work without alot of modification. Your best bet would be to use the spindles, kingpins, brakes, and bones and find yourself a 28-36 axle and spring. Going to be easier and more cost effective in the long run than trying to make it all work with that complete 42-48 axle setup

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I used a fat fendered axle, year ?
    had a spring shop make me an 1 3/4" , reversed eye, main leaf that was 1 15/16" longer than a model A... it fit but I sold it as a roller under a '34 tudor body... never drove it... $21.00...

9. nobby

nobby

I think what is meant is
    IF buy a aftermarket axle from whomever
    47 or 46 inch to king pins, they have a NON FACTORY perch distance of 34''
    the IF YOU LIKE standard spring for these is the 29 1/4'' wide variety - 1 3/4'' wide
    if 46'' king pin = with ford econo disc brakes about 56 inch hub to hub
    2 - 3'' lower than stock
    IF using a split bone, you will still need 3.5'' dropped steering arms

IF

you use a stock 47 ford axle, the king pin to king pin is 50 3/4
    plus 10 for spindle and brakes = 60 3/4 - too wide
    the perch distance is 41 inches
    so in theory you need a spring 7 inches longer than 29 1/4 = 36 1/4
    they do exist in the aftermarket at 1 3/4'' wide
    now make the over head picture in your head of the axle and the link from the perch position back to the frame at the cowl.

this may be why you are not getting any information, as it may just be that it is never done
    also 46 minus 34 - is 12 - 6 per side
    50 3/4 minus 41 is 9 3/4 = 4 and something

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    HemiDeuce likes this.