Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs NVU gauges, has anyone used them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, May 10, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm considering a trio of NVU gauges, the "Woodward" series from Speedway (lots of places sell 'em, they're a little less right now from them). The size is just a shade smaller than the originals in my '52 DeSoto wagon, so I'll have to make a little reducer, but the look is right, they're less than having the originals modified to work properly, and the one I picked has a tach integrated into the speedo. I've got SW "Wings" gauges in the Diamond T, these are a little more $$, I am interested if anyone here has used them and what your experience was with quality. 96541589_10223334131724173_1905740627765624832_n.jpg

This link shows the gauge set I'm considering...
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/New-...joUXljFmZvwFUKkA73Z_vf7hludZO8tpPlTBU-nEHafW4

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

One more stupid question: Does anyone know the resistance of the original sending unit in these? I'm going to order a new sender anyway, I'm just curious as to what the original is...

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Personally, I don't think dash gauges with light
    colored backgrounds look good in older vehicles.
    You want a nostalgia look.
    Looks too modern and out of "era' .
    Even in newer cars, they look out of place.

5window likes this.
  4. I think the Black Woodward series gauges would look great honestly. They have a very nostalgic font on them.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's a cool looking dash. This doesn't answer your question but I'd rework stock unit's and while at it. Convert Amp to a Volt (leaving display saying amp. Just keep a mental that just right of mid point is good).

To give credit, not a bad match. As said prior the modern portions don't look well to me as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmmm. The black ones do look a bit better. I priced having the temp gauge modified to an electric gauge with original face, that and a sending unit is more than half what a complete set of new gauges costs, and, I'd still have no speedo and a fuel gauge that works backwards...;-)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flynbrian48 likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I always love these redo jobs that require more work that just fixing the original problem. I mean really. No holes to drill, no lathe work to be done, no re-wireing, ect ect.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. BJR

BJR

I think the cool part of these old cars is the original dash and gauges. Why not use runtz voltage reducers on the electric ones, and replace the amp gauge with a volt meter keeping the original gauge face. I did this with my 49 Buick and love the stock look. The temp gauge if it is the bourdon tube kind can just be screwed into the water jacket of the new motor. If the tube is cut off or broken, it can be sent in and replaced, or I do have instructions on how to fix it yourself if you want.

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The tube is much to short to reach the water pump, there are no ports in either head for one. The speedo won't work, because there's no cable drive, although I could use a pulse generator and drive the original. I inquired about modifying the temp gauge, almost $300, then I need the amp gauge modified to voltmeter, another $300, then I need the pulse generator. I like the originals fine, but it becomes a matter of economy and what's practical to do.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I could just plop my cell phone on the dash with the speedo app, and hope it doesn't overheat I guess...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

You could lengthen it yourself using this attached method. To convert an amp meter to a volt meter, just replace the gauge with a volt meter that has the same needle sweep, keeping the same dash face. It will still say Amp but you will know it is volts. I used one from an aftermarket volt gauge I bought at a swap meet for $3. I removed the gauge movement from the gauge body and mounted it in the dash behind the stock gauge face.

Attached Files:

14. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I used the NVU gages in my Buick. Work fine.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. Have the New Vintage gauges in my 52 GMC. Working good, except the fuel level gauge sender is having ground issues. Not the gauge causing problems.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

flynbrian48 likes this.
  16. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Referencing my comment above: and they had a diameter that required no spacer to fit the original dash holes.
    [​IMG]

flynbrian48 likes this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks for the input all. I contacted the gauge restoration service that gave me an estimate on the temp gauge conversion about possibility of converting the speedo to electronic head, and the ammeter to voltmeter. Sometimes I need someone else to tell me what I already know...;)

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Update: Instrument Services Inc. in IL can do the speedo for $375, both voltmeter and temp for $167 each, and, they can repair and convert the clock to 12V- ground, so I'm packing them up and sending 'em off tomorrow. I'll use the prettiest of the two sets, which I think are '54 DeSoto, and came from the extra dash I have. Thanks for the input!

partsdawg and Tman like this.
  19. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

I have a set in my 32 and have been very happy with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Stonebird

Stonebird

Deadbird and flynbrian48 like this.