Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ok, I need a good set of lifters for SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 10, 2020.

1. Who’s selling the good ones ?
    I’ve no tolerance for “maybe” on this one.
    Private label, re boxed, white boxed, problems I don’t want. When a vender just sends you another set because they have lifters go bad all the time,,, I don’t want that either

I just want good lifters, who’s got them
    thanks

Edit- : update melling JB 817

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  2. Used Melliing and sealed power on the couple sets. No issues.
    But I’m a cruiser.

3. When I have questions like this I call my friend who's reputation is on the line. Kenny Hurd at Oregon Cam Grinders. He can do anything from a Briggs & Stratton to a Freightliner and does. He can't afford to sell junk lifters. Give it a try, most you'll be out is a phone call. 360-256-7985

1Nimrod, Deuces, Tman and 6 others like this.
  4. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Roller or Flat tappet??...girly(hydraulic) or real manly(solids)??

My crystal ball is in the shop. o_O

5. Deuces

Deuces

Girly???? :rolleyes:
    Try telling that to a L-79 owner...:cool:;)

1Nimrod, Bob Lowry, Chavezk21 and 5 others like this.
  6. Those girly hydraulic flat tappet ones for this particular one will be next I purchase.
    But the others you mentioned too would be equally beneficial ,, no?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    1Nimrod, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. Good quality lifters are a Must Have for all style of Camshafts. Getting harder to come by anymore.

Deuces and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess these days any maker can run a bad batch. I have used several sets of the Crower CamSaver hydraulic lifters. They have the extra slot for direct cam /lifter contact area oiling. Works with standard oil pump.

9. I have a stash of genuine NOS GM lifters, hydraulic and solid, that I use on my SBCs........Bought them 40+ years ago when replacements were going south......never a problem with any of them.

1Nimrod, stillrunners, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  10. I am running Erson Anti-Pumpup lifters in my 355. They got about 150K on 'em we are still spinning it to 7K. Will that work for ya?

1Nimrod, stillrunners, Tman and 2 others like this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^running these in wife's 55 327 as well and a set in my 40

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  12. I took Cory Talbert's advice and bought GM lifters for my 283

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had anything but good luck with the genuine GM hydraulic lifter's, they're nice and quiet. Everything else I have tried was noisy, and ended up replacing them with the factory parts.

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I've had two friends run into issues with COMP, one a few thousand miles after rebuild the other not very long after break in.
    So while I can't comment on which are good I can say I think I know which I consider not to be.

15. So on the genuine GM, Delphi, Eaton stuff,,,,
    Source and price?

I called my guy at the dealer and we both about shit.

Deuces likes this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part # 5232720 is the last known part number I could find from the 2009 Performance Parts catalog. They may have been superceded since then with a new part number, and yes, bring a roll of toilet paper and a spare pair of shorts when you get the price, you'll need them both! :eek:

17. Fordors

Fordors

P/N 12371044 for a set of sixteen, $157.40 from GM. I think the Eaton JB 817’s might be just as good and a lot cheaper. Opinions?

Deuces and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!! The price on those sure came down! Of course, the last time I bought a set of GM hydraulic's they weren't avaliable in kit form and were still being used in production engines. Lol! If I remember right, they were damn near 20 bucks a piece back then. The demand must be coming down considerably.

19. 392

I don't have much to add for sbc but I've had same issue with early hemis that I've done and im guessing all flat tappet hydraulic applications have same problem. Not meant to hijack thread but anybody have a choice for early hemi lifters.

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My last 2 cam& lifter sets have been Elgin from competition products , one has about 40 K miles without trouble ,the other has about 30K miles without trouble. As an aside , on the second engine , having Brodix IK heads , I'm able to pull lifters without pulling the manifold , so on that engine , I'm sure there has been no deterioration of the cam or lifters !

1Nimrod, Deuces, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use Lunati lifters in most of my builds. I don't know who makes them , but they have never failed.

22. As opposed to the 65 dollars a set I am accustomed to giving to Erson's. :D :D :D

23. JB 817 is a Melling part number
    E5087645-58D9-4E0D-B835-B80FBCE32806.png

24. This crap is all very confusing,,,
    Quite a bit of angst talk on the interweb of shit for lifters.
    All of it is Who’s making what for whom - It’s like a soap opera or Santa clause talking shit to his elves leaving guys stuck in a lurch.

If I had a choice, and could do it, I would have gladly thrown an extra $100 on the ground lit it on fire and flushed the ashes to make the problem go away that was caused by bad lifters.
    A call to the vender and they made it “all better” by sending me another set of lifters. Oh that’s better than any other ass chap relief right?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    dirty old man and 427 sleeper like this.
  25. To bad a guy can't get a Rockwell test on the New parts before you install them. That would end all the shot in the dark Luck program.

26. Haven’t had any issues from Elgin either.
    30k so far on the last set.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Deuces, Tman and olscrounger like this.
  27. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, the global economy and corporate ownership changes makes it hard to keep faith in the old brand names that we know and love, but now are not the same company. So my approach is to control what I can within the budget of any particular build:
    1. If it's a flat tappet solid, get the lifters with the EDM hole on the bottom contact surface.
    2. If it's a flat tappet hydraulic, get lifters with the extra oil slot.
    3. Both #1 and #2 are way ahead of cutting the lifter bore slot with the old hand tool that I used before either option was available.
    4. Due a proper cam break in and use plenty of ZDDP.
    5. Use a oil that is best suited for the older flat tappets.
    6. If a cam profile and spring pressure is such that I don't think I can sleep at night doing #1 through #5, go roller!

pitman, bchctybob, SEAAIRE354 and 5 others like this.
  28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Have a few sets of NOS GM Hyd. lifters saved up also, found out the last time I used a set 4 of the 16 were stuck, could not push down on them. Soaking in oil didn't help but disassembling & cleaning did...………………………...

1Nimrod, carpok, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also have had good luck with Elgin, both solid and hydraulic. Several sets. Know of several guys who had big problems with Comp cams and lifters but I don't know if they broke them in properly. I stay away from those, also good luck with Crane cam and lifter sets--no issues on several 327's done in the last 2-3 years.

1Nimrod and hemihotrod66 like this.
  30. sunbeam

sunbeam

Rockerarms unlimited are made in the USA.

Deuces likes this.