Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stamped numbers on model a frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirtbag54, May 10, 2020.

1. Frame is going to blaster in the morning ,for some reason I just thought ,do I need a police officer to come verify the vin number before the blasting will possibly ruin it? I’m in indiana. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Tape it or do something to preserve the numbers. A good blaster should be able to oblige you

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When I had a Model A frame media blasted I clamped a 1"x2" piece of flat steel over the numbers and left that area protected. Sometimes the numbers are very shallow or rusty and you might need them for registration purposes.

4. gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

i disagree, quite often you cant see them until its been blasted. sand blasting always reveals things you never saw before, like part numbers and casting numbers, cracks, etc.

dirtbag54 and Beanscoot like this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I agree with the very light blasting.. don't try and dig a hole with the blaster...
    I have had frames that had 2 or 3 #s I couldn't read...
    more than once I have gone down to the garage in early morning and with the suns light at a flat angle the # jumped out at me... could be reproduced in the shop with some strong lighting...

dirtbag54 likes this.
  7. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Take a really good photograph of it before you do anything. It may come up better after blasting or worse. But if it is a bit faint, a photograph may be just enough evidence to be convincing if there is a dispute later on.

8. chopped

chopped

If you can read them now cover up. If you can't read blast them.

9. I was able to hit it with some rust neutralizer and a wire wheel,I could make most of it out at that point. Then put some white paint on it and lightly sanded it. I’m 99% sure I got the whole number. So I covered it up with an old license plate trimmed to fit and duct tape. I took lots of photos to zoom in on later.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure that you read, and understand the Indiana regulations, and understand them, prior to doing anything that might affect the serial number.

You will get lots of advice on this board. A whole lot of it is flat-out incorrect, and much of the rest pays no attention to the fact that the laws that address this sort of thing are set at the state-level.

INVISIBLEKID and dirtbag54 like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would need to check your local laws. That process may be regulated where you are.

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto, what?

I know all of the laws of my state.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Model A frame number has a star in front and at the end of the number, just so you know you are counting all the numbers that are there.

Bob

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ditto, that you should check the laws in your state.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, the wisest plan, in all such cases.