Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pertronix Ignitor II Feedback/Experience Requested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, May 10, 2020.

1. donsz

donsz

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding the Pertronix Ignitor II ignition. I have a complete distributor, when I opened it up I saw the Pertronix Ignitor II module. I also have a Flame Thrower coil.
    The situation:
    The engine (Chevy 348) misses and seems to pop out of the carb when primaries and secondaries are actuated (under load and during rapid throttle movement (from idle to primaries to secondaries opening)).
    - Compression is good on all cylinders
    - Spark seems strong (idle and throughout the rpm range)
    - Replaced the carb with a new carb
    - Timing is correct
    - Advance seems to work
    - Spark plug wires are new (tried three sets actually)
    - Firing order is correct
    - Plugs were cleaned and gaps checked
    - Don't appear to be any vacuum leaks
    - Distributor cap seems fine, but I did burnish the contacts. After about 20 minutes of off and on running, the contacts are carbonized again beyond what I would have thought they should be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks,
    don

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Thrilled with mine, strong spark and holds true timing. I gutted a NOS Accell dual point and put the kit in it. Sorry your W isn't treating you well. Are the valves lashed correctly? Inductive timing light helps, move it to each plug wire to check for consistant spark.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Flame Thrower coil = made in China . Mine was fine for 9,000 miles , then it wasn't . Bubba's Ignition recommended a Bosch Coil to replace it. Much better now

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  4. You did better than me, and I had two.

lothiandon1940 and Dave Mc like this.

5. We can beat around maybe this and maybe that when it comes to Pertronix issues. First mistake when thinking it has a problem is going to the internet to fix it. Pertronix has one of the BEST Tec departments out there. When you talk to them first off they do NOT ASSUME the problem is with something of yours. They want to help you. When there is a problem with one of there units they stand behind it. If you want Good advice on what to use along with the dist. call 909-599-5955 they won't steer you wrong. I have to say I have them in 3 of my vehicles and another coming up. I've installed I don't know how many, 10 or more for sure. A few little issues but never left hanging.

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

Assume the above refers to the poles inside the cap where the spark jumps from the rotor to the cap?
    Are they brass or aluminum?
    Does the rotor have a resistor built in it?
    Is the Pertronix getting a full 12-volts or through a resistor?

jack vines

7. I agree 100% with this comment. I have been running Pertronix since they first came out (for my 327/375 HP SBC - I told them what needed to be done to install one in a dual point Corvette distributor), and their P-II unit since it was first issued (for my son's Hilborn injected 302 SBC). I am completely satisfied with their products. I have discussed technical information with their TECH guys and have found them to be most helpful and professional.

Doug Kennedy, olscrounger and Dave Mc like this.
  8. FityFive

FityFive

Dave MC,

Do you have the Pertronix Ignitor I, II, or III?

Thanks for the coil info.

9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Ignitor II …. If and when you call the Tech Help Line, They will tell you the Ignitor II will either work or it won't , no splatter issues there . when the Ign. II goes bad , it will have a burn mark on the little plastic cover or you will smell electric burn .

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    dan griffin likes this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And therein lies the problem. When they go, they go. They do not deteriorate slowly over a period of time like a conventional points ignition. Unless you are a complete dolt, you will have plenty of notice of a problem with points, Not so an electronic ignition. I find it curious that they are so familiar with the characteristics of module failure.

11. Pertronix war stories are all over the internet. The guys who have had good luck with it will defend Pertronix to the death but I have never heard of an ignition system that has had more reported failures online than this one. I've even heard of guys carrying a spare unit so when the one in the car fails they can still get home. No thanks.

12. I believe this is due to so many people not using compatible parts and/or reading the instructions until they fully understand them.

dan griffin, brigrat and Dave Mc like this.
  13. I have almost 10 years on my Pertronix II. Starts quicker, and improved gas mileage almost 2 mpg. (Hard to do with a blower motor running 2 Holley 650 double pumpers!). The Pertronix module is replacing the points in an old dual point Mallory dist. No problems here.

olscrounger and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  14. jaracer

jaracer

Know any old fart with an ignition scope? You can tell if you have an ignition problem in seconds with a scope and someone who knows how to use it.

dan griffin and Truck64 like this.
  15. What he said!

Besides, sounds lean to me.

Ben

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used there Pertronix 11 for 6 years along with their coil. NOT like most I retained the stock ballast resistor because I read a lot about their coil problems. The tech I called said it would be fine with exception of a little less secondary voltage to the plugs. As an electrician I under stood and felt the coil would run cooler.

Dave Mc and olscrounger like this.
  17. 17C0C8D5-5E52-4D49-9F5E-956BA7F888C3.jpeg Gone thru 2 separate Petronix units in 3 years,no more; went back to points—-you can always “get back home” on points. I will never return to electronics!

18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Been running Pertronix conversions for more than 10 years and many thousands of miles with no failures ever of course I use the correct ohm coil with the Ignitor. Also set many Land Speed Records with the Pertronix Ignitor 2 system never fails to work perfectly.
    Ronnieroadster

19. My avatar has had a Pertronix in it for 8+ years. Initially it had the Ignitor in it, it had some issues that were factory problems and I moved up to the Ignitor II. Supposedly you do not need a ballast resistor but it runs better and stronger with it. After several conversations with Bubba’s Ignition’s regarding coils burning up, we decided to use the ballast resistor - no problems since. It runs great, and I have driven the car cross country several times. I also had an Ignitor II unit in my 40 Ford coupe with an 8BA, and have an Ignitor II unit in my 32 5-window with a 364 Nailhead, both with a ballast resistor - no problems. I use the old Chrysler unit. You can message me and I will give you the part number. I’m most a believer ......

Dave Mc likes this.
  20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have both a II and a III. The III was a whole new unit and the module shot craps. I contacted them and they said send a picture of the unit with the wires cut and we will send you a new module. A few days later I had a new module and was on the road. Maybe not the same application but my father in law put a Petronix in his John Deere and he said that was one of the best things he did. It started easier and did better on fuel. That was 20 or more years ago.

mitch 36 likes this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used many pertronics in 40's over the years-only problem was a coil failure once. Wife's 55 has an old crane electronic conversion running with a ballast resistor--has been in the car over 30 years-no issue.

22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Does this Bosch coil have the 1.5 ohms resistance needed for the Ignitor model? I looked at the Bosch website but it does not supply that information. Or are you using a stand alone resistor?

23. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Bubba's Ignition didn't supply that info. just said that the Bosch unit was the best replacement for the Flame Thrower Coil with the Ignitor II . I bought the Bosch coil off epay , came new in the box with no tech sheet .

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  24. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Lots of Hear say !

25. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Pist-on-broke is right on. You have to read the instructions. One of my cars has had the same one in it for 26 years and it drove 5000 miles to Kentucky from Ca. last summer. I don't think this will ever end!

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  26. The first person to say any product is Junk is the Guy that created his own problem and don't want to accept responsibility for doing so. It's the "I know what I'm doing" syndrome.

firstinsteele likes this.
  27. Jokester

Jokester

I agree. The thread was about his engine not running well, not Pertronix bashing.

Check your fuel pressure.

.bjb

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pist-n-Broke likes this.