Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 F100 power steering upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctrdatsun, May 4, 2020.

1. Doctrdatsun

Doctrdatsun

Getting started putting EZ Steer setup in my stock '54 F100 w/manual 3speed column shift. How do you remove the horn button and steering wheel???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

3. Doctrdatsun

Doctrdatsun

Yeah, I tried Dr. Google, of course. None of the threads helped. A 54 F100 has about a 3 inch steel disc in the center of the hard plastic steering wheel. I have tried pushing turning and all the usual stuff and I can’t seem to get it off to expose the shaft nut.

4. Oh Buddy, are you sure your up to this? The horn button should be a piece of Cake. Push down keeping it flat till it stops then turn counter clockwise and out it comes.

5. Right on! LOL

Ben

6. Who's steering unit do ya have and what style is it? When I Google it as you posted several units pop up.

7. Next question will be are you going to keep the column shift.

8. Doctrdatsun

Doctrdatsun

LOL that should be how it works I’m guessing, but it doesn’t work for me… Something might be buggered up in there – the “Ford” script is upside down on the thing. I’ll try a few more times then, I don’t know, use a holesaw or something!

9. ahshoe

ahshoe

Get aggressive with it...You can't go forward with progress without just ripping shit out .Pry that cap off.

Budget36 likes this.
  10. Let me get you a photo of the back side of the Horn Button and retainer. Does it rotate at all?

11. Is there a spring under it?

12. Dang, isn't this how it goes. Been saving a complete unit box to wheel for years plus I took it out of the Truck. Go to remove the horn button to find it's not there. Plus the cup and spring unit is gone. I suspect I didn't take good enough care once in pieces. I often see a cup but having extra truck parts isn't odd around here. I guess next time I see it I'll put it back under the shaft nut with the Wheel where it belongs. Here's a couple photos taken from Mid 50's web sight of the cup and spring.
    1430-51061.jpg 1429-23504.jpg
    The 2 fingers sticking down on the cup index it in the bolt holes to time it top and bottom of the Button. It will go on 180 out of time and probably why your button is upside down. The wire retainer spring is 3 point as you can see and just snaps in the plastic part of the button I don't have a photo of. Sorry I wasn't more help.

13. This probably serves no purpose but the back side of the horn button shows the 3 tabs that hold the cap to the plastic center and the inside of a steering wheel WITHOUT the retainer cup. I'll go back under my rock now.
    20200504_151438.jpg 20200504_150835.jpg

14. Wondering why you want to do the EZ steer over your Ford box? Put a 53-6 box in a model A and it worked like a dream. Rebuilt like new.