Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your car have a theme or time period?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Apr 30, 2020.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm pretty much on board with Almostdone's post regarding "period flavor" I like a rod to look the part, but I'm not opposed to using better pieces as long as they don't destroy the look. For instance my '56 Chevy is supposed to look like early '70s because that is when Dad built the car the first time. However, I'm using Pertronix ignition and a one wire alternator.

Also, something I thought about a lot: Does period correct mean Common during the period OR Available during the period? I wrestled with things like that concerning things like front discs or fancy heads. It helps to set my mind at ease a bit when I look at some of the crazy stuff on race cars of the late '50s and '60s... Like the front discs on Ohio George's Willys.

bchctybob and jakespeed63 like this.
  2. New friend, Thomas is proud owner of his Pop’s ‘55 Chev.
    Apparently Dad bought it in 1962 to be part of an Alabama all 55 Chevy Car Club
    Went through some changes over the years but he recently restored it to the way it was back in the day
    We all love it. Would make a nice addition to our Misfires Car Club
    Andrew’s Square-Bird, next to it, ain’t too shabby neither
    IMG_7356.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dave Mc, olscrounger, Slopok and 6 others like this.
  3. 64-66 west coast but I cheated with radial tires, alternator, front disc brakes. I drive it a lot. Has a 57 Pontiac engine, 4 speed, quickchange. 34hambdrags.jpeg 34hambdrags1.jpeg

4. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Screenshot_20200329-223817_Gallery.jpg I too shot for late '50's with my '46

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Mid 60s, street/strip car over here.

Model A Coupe Full Fendered Nasty.jpg

99% of parts are 1966 or older.

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I built mine trying to relate to my high school days..
    I graduated in '62, but could not find a two door Biscayne in that year that I could afford, so went with this '63 instead.
    Tried to stay Old School, Less is More, as well as Just Plain Mean.
    Also did a lot of modifications to the front and rear.
    Far from a show car, but did it all my self...complete new drive train, interior, body work as well as painting.

Attached Files:

Stogy, jakespeed63 and thehazguy like this.
  7. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I am going for the postwar period.
    FE6CC046-FA84-498F-8A2B-AA12384C0B02.jpeg E1741BEA-8ED7-43BF-BBBD-A76FF03247F0.jpeg

hfh, Dave Mc, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  8. hudson48

hudson48

My 32 Roadster done East Coast style early 60's.
    Roadster 3 (Medium).jpg

9. Slopok

Slopok

Late '50s, except for radials the newest parts are '57 Caddy wheel covers.
    015.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Stogy, 56don, Ron Funkhouser and 7 others like this.
  10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I tried for late fifties/early 60’s. But, trying to pull it off without compromise was next to impossible. I like shiny paint and my wife wanted Ac. I kept the flathead and the a/c but I don’t think that’s period correct. Sooo I keep my hood shut. Which is what mild Avatar1589158235.845318.jpg [​IMG]customs are about.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

12. Beautiful car and picture

Stogy likes this.
  13. Wow, all these are so cool. This Merc looks fantastic. How does the A/C work, with the Flathead? Vintage Air? Custom install?
    JT

14. I always try to stay within a theme and time period and it varies depending on the vehicle. Currently, both projects we are working on for my boys daily drivers will be early to mid-60's. Both of them are leaning mostly hot rod theme, but with a few kustom touches as well. I can see either truck as being driven by the owner of a body shop that was also a hot rod guy. And the trucks could have been advertisement for his shop as well as his daily transportation.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

C78D3C53-8B06-44C3-B600-B3EA3468C326.jpeg 8336439C-8EE6-45AB-B576-9EAD94D12DAE.jpeg 987A8F64-5DAE-43A0-89F4-9D5C728F0B4A.jpeg 58E1C65B-4755-46FB-B8A5-6B99FA60E2CF.jpeg B45F1847-4393-4266-825D-F9C39799063F.jpeg CA9AB808-2D30-4B3B-AE7D-439554B8D117.jpeg C1E774F6-558F-4422-85CB-7A337B30B6A6.jpeg The Leaping Lizard, my new T is firmly stuck in the 60s, but with an English flavor due to the 1963 Daimler Hemi V8. I made her right hand drive. She has my favorite wheels on it, chrome slots. These are NOS Rockets.

16. 4ty

4ty

My 40 is right out of the 50's-early 60's, DeLuxe, stock looking, black, WWW on 15" with small caps and beauty rings, G78's, L78's, Black R&P w/jump seats, 59AB, Almquist intake w/dual chrome 97's, Kogel HComp heads, Red's headers, Smittys, dual spotlights. Out of NH about 1 1/2 yrs ago.'Wouldn't touch a thing. Close to the one I had 51 years ago.
    Paul in CT

Stogy and jakespeed63 like this.
  17. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Since our '29 Roadster is a preservation resto, we're keeping to when the original owner 'builder' did the work on his car.
    The period is very broad but specific from 1932 to 1952. The Model B & Miller OHV was first and the Guide fog lights were last to be installed.
    Many 30's Ford bits and misc hand-crafted pieces were used, so we're working with those themes.
    IMG_20200131_202746_156.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    hfh, Runnin shine, Dave Mc and 5 others like this.
  18. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-2_5-24-9.png
    Hello,

My first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery had a style and look. It is/was called “teenage pocketbook version.” It took all of my savings to get the price lowered, including taking out the big 348 motor, so I could afford to buy it. It was a good thing the former owner wanted the 348 for another project he was starting. It fit my pocketbook, perfectly. The daily upkeep would be taken care of with odd jobs and doing things with our backyard garage speed shop. The gas money usually came from those other friends that I picked up for school/home or cruising around on the weekends.

Luckily, the costs were minimal for this great running Flathead powered sedan delivery. A little reclaimed oil did wonders for the long distance road trips to south Orange County and San Diego. But, the daily driving had its style, red (teenage flashy stuff) paint that was supposed to be a racer orange that ended up a salmon pink. It was during a midnight driveway spray job from the original owner. He did not like the result, it was too expensive to repaint, so he sold the sedan delivery to me, minus the 348 motor. I thought it had character and my friends thought it was the coolest way to get to and from the local So Cal beaches.

Since I bought the sedan delivery in 1961, it had the classic style of the time period, namely small hubcaps and black rims. The former owner was a drag racer and he wanted it to look mean using black rims, small to no hubcaps, to give it the ready to race look. It was fast with the 348.

Jnaki

It was a reliable daily driver, cool teenage surfer cruiser and got plenty of action on the streets with lots of attention from other teenagers in their own cars. That was one of the purpose of this theme. A little flashy, reliable and served a functioning purpose to get us to surf spots up and down the coast.
    upload_2020-6-2_5-27-15.png
    The teenage, time period dictated what it would look like. (plain, simple, but totally reliable for those all over So Cal road trips) So, many years later, with a little more infusion of cash in our bank accounts, my wife I bought another half way built red 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Immediately despite wanting to put on mag wheels, I stayed with the classic theme created back in high school with the red sedan delivery, black rims and small hubcaps with beauty trim rings. This time the red was a true red, not a salmon pink. (and it had a 327, full upholstery, and necessary A/C, but needed lots of work to get it road worthy.)
    upload_2020-6-2_5-28-51.png
    It was one of those hot rods that was seen all over So Cal during our extended road trips and photo shoots, just about everywhere. Surf trips? They were from Laguna Beach to South San Clemente and San Diego were the hot spots for the next several years until sold. (by this time, the surfboards fit nicely inside...) But, it was a daily driver, as there were times I had to fight my wife to use it on days. She also loved to ride around, driving by herself, or with me.

Both hot rods, the Flathead powered teenage sedan delivery and the 20 something 327 powered model were both styled in the 1959-60 mode. It was a classic style and the sedan delivery did not disappoint.

51pontiac and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. Jnaki, fantastic story and thanks for sharing. Honestly don’t see too many panel trucks anymore???? What happened to them??
    Being a Cleveland native, we could only dream of the So-Cal lifestyle, chock full of rust free cars, surfing and beautiful girls. Well this is what The Beach Boys we’re singing on all my record albums anyway

jnaki and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. butch

butch
    from Michigan

OzMerc39 likes this.
  22. The last few years all my projects have had the same theme. "I hope I don't have to sell this to pay the bills." :p:oops::oops::rolleyes:

23. butch

butch
    from Michigan

View attachment 4706817 Mine would be a early 60s rod that a poor high school kid built. 61 283. Disregard the front tires

Attached Files:

OzMerc39 likes this.
  24. The early to Mid '50s look externally with a few modern twists. Traditional suspension & powerplant with a little more modern trans & differential.

Merc engine.jpeg Merc interior.jpeg Merc triple.jpeg Merc Collage.jpeg Merc out.jpeg

hfh, Dave Mc, 51pontiac and 2 others like this.
  25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I like all periods of customs! My 55 Olds is late 50's, 54 Chevy was mid 50's, my 61 Dodge is early 60's, and the 47 Chevy is going to be early 50's. I even like the radical show period (Kopper Kart)

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 and Moriarity like this.
  26. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

late 50s early 60s, high school car was the goal on this one.
    53-26.jpg
    53-11.jpg
    Dont mind the aluminum rad, low budget was the key to this one just like a kid in high school.

My pickup more of a mid/late 60s vibe, Drop axle to get it low... Factory leaf springs and steering box with alot of work to get it this low with all that.

IMG_0560.JPG

I dont build show cars, I build drivers that drive great, look good, and dont break down. Safety is key in all my builds, overbuilt normally on everything I do.

Next will be a 40s to early 50s style.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

If my projects have a theme I'd say it's "phantom technological trajectories". Perhaps that's part of why they barely exist at this time :)

There is very little actual historical reconstruction in them. Though they draw very much on eras before the automobile went to shit they are more about a counterfactual imagining of what might have been by now.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  28. tofords

tofords