Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission - 57 dual range hydro

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Vcen4cr, May 9, 2020.

1. Vcen4cr

Vcen4cr

I am rebuilding a ‘63 Buick 215 V-8. Anyone have any knowledge or info regarding adapting a‘57 GM dual range hydro out of a ‘57 Chevrolet pu.? It’s going in a ‘29 rpu. While I’m here and asking for a friend.....will a ‘79 TH 350 bolt to a ‘64 Olds 330 CID engine? Thanks for your time and input.

2. squirrel

squirrel

the old 215 was an oddball engine, as far as the bellhousing bolt pattern. The dual range hydro is probably one of the least likely transmissions to bolt to it, also... :)

The 64 Olds 330 was one of the first to use the modern BOP bellhousing bolt pattern, so as long as the TH350 is a dual pattern or non-Chevy BOP case, then it will bolt right up. If it's a Chevy trans, then you'd need an adapter, but it's an easy one, not very expensive. You'll probably get some replies suggesting to use a 200-4R overdrive automatic instead of the TH350, and it will bolt to the 330.

1934coupe likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The hydramatic probably weighs more than the 215 engine. Way overkill. Suggest you use something smaller and lighter with less friction drag like the 200 series.

warbird1, 1934coupe and Mark Yac like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That poor 215 will have about 10 horsepower left to move the pickup after turning the trans...

5. The Hydro won't even come close to bolting up to the odd ball 215. The original 215's original turbine 2 speed is the only trans I know of that will bolt up and it's similar to a powerglide in operation. GM also used a 4 speed manual behind the 215 and that's what I'd be searching out...pretty rare but they made them. Grab the bell housing,flywheel, fork and the starter. Not sure if an automatic starter will work with a manual bellhousing...I know my early Pontiac stick starter is all by itself.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that this is a case of you have one in the shed and some times that is the worse reason to use a particular part. As mentioned, they are big, ungodly heavy and weigh a ton.

D&D fabrications did make an adapter at one time but I didn't find it on their web site. http://aluminumv8.com/
    I'm with the others, a 200R 4 would be a far better choice for that little engine if an adapter is available.

7. GMC truck V-6 engines used the same bell-housing as the Buick / Olds / Pontiac aluminum V-8's. My son has several intakes for his collection of Buick 215's. Factory 4 barrel, after-market 4 barrel, dual carb intakes, early and late Hilborn injection, M / T 4-71 intake, and a Weber intake.

1934coupe likes this.
  8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Transdapt also made a 4 speed bellhousing for the 215 at one time. I bought one probably 30 yrs ago. You may find one of those.

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

1934coupe likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

huh?
    215 bell.jpg v6 bell.JPG

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that otta work. :rolleyes:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That shows that you had better do some research before making a comment because you assume that______.
    I spent close to an hour last night seaching for an adapter kit that would hook that engine with it's bolt pattern for an adapter to hook it to a Chevy V8 pattern transmission. Nada. I can't find one. There is a two wheel drive Rover transmission that fits but they are as rare as rocking horse crap in this country and probably Canada.

13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

s-l400 (3).jpg Might have a chance modifying this if you really have to have the Hydramatic. Its a Rolls Royce bellhousing.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. squirrel

squirrel

I think he meant to cut up the original Buick bellhousing,a nd the Rolls bellhousing,a nd weld them together?

16. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Squirrel, Yes something along those lines. First put the bellhousing against the block and see if anything matches up or is close. It may be possible to add some material to allow holes to bill drilled where needed. Or as you say possibly welding part of one to the other.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That might be viable but in the long run is it worth it? Op hasn't stated exactly why he wants to run that particular transmission
    The best thing would be input from the guys in the UK who run the Rover version of those in their rods a lot. They may have the best answer.
    This thread is six years old but is full of info that might be useful. http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,37744

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Roadcraft makes a bellhousing to bolt the T-5 to the Buick 215/Rover V8s.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Buick made a bellhousing to bolt the normal GM standard transmissions to the 215. The choice of automatics that fit is severely limited, though. I think there were two of them, one by Buick, one by Olds.

20. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I think there were 2 different stick bells a 3 speed one and a 4 speed one that had different bolt patterns. The 4 speed having your standard GM pattern. The Transdapt bellhousing was pretty much a copy of the GM made 4 speed bellhousing. D&D made adapter plates for a number of different autos at one time. Don't know if they're still available.