Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs German registration for a Kustom....pls school me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49coupe, May 9, 2020.

1. 49coupe

49coupe

Gentlemen,
    I recently moved to Germany from Canada and I plan on shipping my 1949 Ford coupe with me. It's a traditional Kustom in a late 50s style, with a list of modifications longer than my arm. From a driveline point of view, everything is new or rebuilt from the 401 Nailhead, disk brakes, Volvo steering box, 9" rear, 4 Link, etc.

My question....how difficult will it be to register this car? I am getting a lot of conflicting information online and talking to people. A "H" classification as an old timer means it has to be in its original condition, but then I see a traditional hot rod with one. What would classify it as a cultural object (Kulturgut)?

From the pictures you can see my car is far from stock but stock but done in a 50s style using period correct parts in a hobby that has been around longer than my car. Any help would be appreciated....I am getting stressed about bringing it over.

Attached Files:

David Gersic and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would think that the Germany equivalent to the department of motor vehicles is the best place to get your info from.....

3. You owned it in Canada - why would you not be able to own it in Germany ? What I really want to know if a German license driver operates a car in the states and runs you over because they didn't understand our traffic laws......ahh forget it - my insurance paid her off years ago......

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like you would have asked this before you moved. Job related? Permanent? Military? But a Hot Rod style magazine where you are and contact the editor. I’m sure they like to see your style car in print.
    There are some European followers here, I hope they can help you.

5. Owning it and being allowed to drive it on the roads are two very different things.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

X38 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does have to be inspected and pass said inspection. https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/...c-technical-inspection-hauptuntersuchung-tuev
    This is late models but shows how hardcore they are on modified vehicles. https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/209388/driving-modified-abroad-successfully-edition
    From what I read, each and every modification has to pass their TUV and every modification and change has to be passed and is listed in what is called a book that any German officer who stops you can check to see if the mod is listed.
    I can't find the inspection requirements for cars that age though. Also just because it works in the UK or another European country doesn't mean it passes muster in Germany.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Germany has a rep of being very hardnosed over very slight deviations of their rules. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    It's late here in the States but they're just starting the day in Germany so let's hope they find this and have some answers shortly.

8. Here’s a link to GSRA (German Street Rod Association) http://forum.gsra.de/thread.php?threadid=449

The info is in german, but maybe you can use google translate to get the gist of it (unless you speak german ofc). Maybe you can start a thread on their forum?

But as others have said, it’s not an easy process.

nunattax likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have sent cars there. I can be done.

Get in touch with Vinzenz Gottschewski, at Bavaria Kustomz. He regularly imports vehicles.

He's on The Book of Faces, too.: Vinz Kustomz.

I built the chassis on his black and sliver 1937 Plymouth.

That has a complete Chevy dirvetrain (350/TH350/Tri-5 rear-end), a MII style front end, and a triangulated 4-link in the rear, with bags on all 4-corners. That made it though the system, and out to the roads.

David Gersic and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Don,t forget @edwardlloyd :cool: . He would be the man to ask. I believe he,s quite busy with moving at the moment though. Pretty sure @Baumi :cool: knows his way around as well.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, where in Germany have you ended up at? Your shoebox looks like a pretty traditional custom to me. I don´t see, why it couldn´t be registered as an " Oldtimer" here . First thing when you´ve got it over here is to make sure to get assymetrical halogen headlights with an "E" sign, they are about 50 bucks a pair at Dock 66. You will also need hazard flashers and stick-on reflectors on the rear bumpers, also with an "E" sign. They are 1€ each. You can remove them after the inspection. Your brakes and emergency brakes must be working well and pull evenly, Tüv doesn´t like brittle brake hoses or worn bushings. Rustholes are not acceptable. Other than that you will be fine. They usually won´t accept late model stuff on old cars, like LS engines . A good rule of thumb is: If an alteration was possible within 10 years that the car was new ( 50s in your case, so a nailhead is fine) OR the modifications are or could be older than 30 years ( airbags, etc) a car will pass. Non traditional mods like 20" wheels or late model components are are usually not accepted.
    It is always a plus if an inspector likes to mess with old stuff, the wrong inspector may end up in a hassle. Give me a shout if I can help you. I have a few friends that are TÜV inspectors and build hot rods themselves. They know the do´s and don´ts pretty well.
    My uncle lives in Kingston, Ontario, so I kind of know your area. I´ve been in Canada a couple of times. I just plain love it.You must have a good reason to change Toronto for Germany... I ´d rather do it the opposite way, if I could:D:D

34 GAZ and chopped like this.
  13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a second thought: Most inspectors here won´t know what a stock shoebox Ford looks like. So most mods on your car won´t be noticed. And sometimes it is easier to register it as a coach built one off custom than as a modified car. My 34 Ford Hot Rod will be registered as a 57 Ford one off race car. It is easier that way . But a good inspector ca guide you through this. I ´ve sent you a pm with my phone number and email adress, just in case.

14. 49coupe

49coupe

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help and responses. I just want to know what I'm facing before bring my car to Germany. I'm going to reach out to the guys mentioned. I would like to get into the hobby here. I'm just south of Munich and while I have met some nice car guys, their idea of old is a 1990s Mercedes or BMW.

Baumi likes this.