Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can cars look too low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, May 9, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Every car has buttons, switches, levers, pedals or something similar that has to be done before moving.
    My 49 has a switch and a pedal plus a clutch and column lever that needed utilized when driving.
    I haven’t gotten so lazy that switches or buttons are an issue yet.
    Gotta push a button to drive this one
    5CDAD245-1D14-4E11-901B-F5E40D6BDD2D.jpeg
    My old radio has buttons to press for my favorite stations.

chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  3. If it can be driven, then it's not useless. Adjustable ride height can be more useful than low and non-adjustable.

4. I don't care what other people do to their cars. To each his own...
    Car shows would be boring if everyone used the same build plan.

Montana1, Hutkikz, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  5. Dang skippy
    The customizing hobby has been so much more enjoyable since I matured enough to not care what style ride someone digs.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

But it will get deleted if it doesn't fit the guidelines of the HAMB>

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Aside from the early 70's when I was in high school and High Jacker's ruled the world my cars are built close to stock height with a big and little tire rake of about 2 inches. That is my style. I have built a few custom chassis cars that the body was channeled a bit but the suspension still retained full travel and ride quality. the ones that really bother me are the ones that go by at 70 plus and you realize that if a tire goes flat the frame or rocker panel will make contact with the road before the wheel does! Larry

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah come on now, we all need something to laugh at and those guys with the cockeyed front wheels and "laying frame" so the car looks like it is still sitting in the mud in the wrecking yard where they found it and some "patina rigs" manage that well give us a good laugh.
    Low static ride height on the street, there is a fine line between cool and always getting hung up on something or dragging something.

I'm thinking about putting bags on the back of my 48 with a Caddy level adjustment switch I have in the stash to be able to keep the truck at a set stance and rear ride height if I pack duffel bags and a cooler in the back or tow a little trailer.
    As far as being too low, when you have to have your family get out on a parking lot entrance so you can get unstuck you may be just a tad too low. Bountiful Utah isn't conducive to lowered rigs.

Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. primed34

primed34

In my opinion yes they can. So the next time some gray haired guy walks by your ride sitting on the ground with a WTF were they thinking look on his face. It could be me.

Hnstray, Boneyard51, 6sally6 and 4 others like this.
  10. Between car prices, what is traditional, bias vs. radial, what is it worth, and stance, we seem to have several recurring threads. :D I am just thankful we don’t all like them the same. That way...only some of us are cool. ;)

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To raise it up!:(

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. My car is a bit low at the oil pan and headers, but it's easier for my old butt to climb in and out. Besides, I like the look... 20200426_174543.jpg

13. Ohh ok.
    We did one that you only had to press one button to do that.
    It was totally painless.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. Country Joe

Country Joe

It's kinda like pants...The old traditional guys wear them high, just under their chest. The cool guys wear them low, right at their hips. And the clowns wear them too low, exposing their ass.

15. “Wow That’s Fantastic” look?:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

It actually came about due to the minitrucking scene of the early to mid 90's. Then the aftermarket industry blew up with air ride suspension and it just caught on with a group.
    Now you still have the Lowrider scene from the West coast and that is typically done with hydraulics.
    Both of the above mentioned suspensions have their place in the car show scene, and truly can look good on vehicles if done right.
    The main thing to remember is that whichever way a person decides to build their ride, at least they are building something and carrying on an art form and skill set that my eventually die out due to government regulation and electric vehicles.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  17. It began in Los Angeles, California in the mid-to-late 1940s and during the post-war prosperity of the 1950s. Initially, some Mexican-American youths lowered blocks, cut spring coils, z’ed the frames and dropped spindles. The aim of the lowriders is to cruise as slowly as possible, "Low and Slow" being their motto. By redesigning these cars in ways that go against their intended purposes and in painting their cars so that they reflect and hold meanings from Mexican culture, lowriders create cultural and political statements that go against the more prevalent Anglo culture.[4] However, this resulted in a backlash: the enactment of Section 24008 of the California Vehicle Code in January 1, 1958, which made it illegal to operate any car modified so that any part was lower than the bottoms of its wheel rims.
    In 1959, a customizer named Ron Aguirre developed a way of bypassing the law with the use of hydraulic Pesco pumps and valves that allowed him to change ride height at the flick of a switch.

18. Fenderless hot rods have a lot of latitude. You can dial-a-stance that suits you and they don't necessarily look broken.
    But for fendered, post war, full bodies, daily drivers, and late-model O/Ts, I like a tailored look of the tires in the wheel wells. It's a taunt but functional look that would make Goldielocks happy. "Not too high, not too low but just right."
    I have always been about horsepower. At the track....yes, but mostly on the street. The word "upgrade" has always been part of my vocabulary when it came to suspension. Upgrades can result in a little bit of drop but that would be an unintended side result and not the main motive or target. The G-spot for me is function first, attitude second. (Or is it "altitude second"?)

When I was young enough to still be learning my driving chops, I had a manhole in a construction zone bust off the lower half of my bellhousing. The car wasn't lowered particularly but the dippsie-doodles of the road taught me a lesson in the laws of physics, that "two psychical bodies can not occupy the same space at the same time". The impact (pun intended) of that lesson remains in my consciousness.

Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If you have to avoid areas that have speed bumps it not only is too low and probably looks too low.

loudbang likes this.
  20. ...what I dislike is that some magazines show cars/trucks with bags only deflated, laying rockers, they could at least show one or two pics with it at a driveable ride heigth
    ...here's a couple that are too low
    gus millers yard 10-3-16 024.jpg

21. What's the "broken frame" thing about?

22. Boomer talk more than likely.
    I don’t know either.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not long after I got my 1951 Buick Roadmaster 2D HT, I lowered it in the rear. Pretty low. I liked it and it drove pretty good. But the thing I hadn't considered that immediately came to my attention, was that looking through the interior rear-view mirror, all I could see through the rear window was the road immediately behind me! I sure couldn't see the cars. Not a huge problem, just use the outside rearview mirrors. But I realized how a rear view mirror mounted lower on the dash would become necessary on a car with a typical custom nose-up-ass-down rake.

This is something that I had never ever heard anybody speak of. So it was a revelation. LOL

24. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Hey, this looks like a neat item for cars with hydraulics.
    N=normal
    R=raise
    L=lower
    D=drag the rear

Attached Files:

25. I don't think so, as long as the car can be driven without any fear of speed bumps. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  26. Boodlum

Boodlum

Espanola, New Mexico
    Lowrider Capital of the World
    Some of their cars are in The Smithsonian museum
    Used to ride through there on my way between Santa Fe and Taos. Dennis Hopper had a place near there and there was always Wavy Gravy and The Hog Farm. First couple of times was like "WTF is all this?"
    https://www.newmexico.org/lowriders/

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  27. Never thought of that.
    That could be made to operated a bag controller and look great.
    Thanks.

Rickybop likes this.
  28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes, they can be too low and others can be too high. The modifications have to fit the style you're motivated by or trying to achieve.

Where a lot of people go wrong is when they don't have a clear plan to adhere to and the confusion shows up in the vibe of the car.

chryslerfan55, Tman and loudbang like this.
  29. primed34

primed34

Uh no:rolleyes: