Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AGAIN x2 / disaster averted by accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Another great save. Nice.;)

2. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Back in early '70s I was working at a Chevron Station, saw a lot of Pontiacs with that problem. One day I was tuning a lady customers Pontiac when it just shut off. Wouldn't start back up, timing gear gone. Called customer and told her she needed a new timing gear/chain kit. She said fine, she would bring it back next week. I explained the problem to her and she said "It was running when I brought it in!" Thank goodness her boyfriend was also a customer and he explained it to her. All was well after that. Ron

pitman and David Gersic like this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a new '70 Pontiac Trans Am. My mechanic buddy told me about the plastic gears and said 40,000 was about the limit. A couple years later I was driving down the road and it stumbled, bucked, and quit. Pontiac dealer told me that I needed new timing gears.

The mileage was 40,031.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not a 307... In this day of the "stroker" ..... It's a "283 stroker" with 1/4" arm.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    blowby likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Seems like engines have less caked on grunge nowadays. Better rings, better oil?

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Now I feel better when I post on an old thread.:)

7. pitman

pitman

Given comments on a previous "Oil" thread,
    Use Wix? Synthetic? And....
    An occasional 'change'?

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Something has sure changed! Back when I first started wrenching, I remember pulling the valve covers off some Chevies and you couldn’t see the rockers, but you could read “ Chevrolet “ ... backwards..... in the gunk!

Bones

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Good catch.....
    A similar thing happened to me. The “lifter tick” in a ‘ 68 Ford 302 was the broken #1 piston skirt bouncing in the cylinder between the counterweight and piston.
    It sounded tiny.
    I caught it early and all it needed was new pistons and I went ahead and put in new rod and main bearings .I could have gotten away with just pistons and rings.

While there is a certain romance in getting a long sleeping engine to run but really if you plan to actually use it, it’s best to open it up and really check it.
    The difference can be a runner or soon to be scrap.
    Opening one up is just wise.

10. It’s my thread and I can bump it with new info anytime I want :p