Register now to get rid of these ads!

I inherited a 57 desoto firesweep project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arominus, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Arominus

Arominus

I lucked out and found a 95 2wd ram van with an 46rh aka hydraulic A-518 at the u pull today. 134k on the van, no metal in the atf and no burned fluid. Grabbed the lock up converter and the crossmember too so I can mod the one in the desoto. The van had a 318 so I've got the right stuff for the internally balanced 392.

Plans for the trans are to install a transgo tf2 shift kit, a 4.2 ratio band lever and a better band bar from cope racing. I'll be getting the kit to allow shifting the 518 from a set of factory push buttons from A &A. I'll control the OD and lockup manually just to get the car moving, then I'll get into the hidden OT stuff to control them later. Lets hope it doesn't need a rebuild!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Arominus

Arominus

More work getting everything off the car today, got the convertible top for our 65 300 off it, along with the various other items on top of it, now I can actually see the thing! I've got a bit more work to get the front of it fully unburied but I'm making some progress. I also found the hood, both fenders and the inner fenders on the 300 next to it. Found a bit of rocker rust I'll have to deal with..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. Arominus

Arominus

Been a bit on this, but I’m gunning to have this out of the barn this summer, I’ve been collecting parts for the 392 and picked up a Ford 8.8” axle out of a 99 explorer today, the spring perches are about perfect for the car and it’s a 1/2” narrower on each side which will help with tire clearance.

The axle is a code D4 which gets me an LSD and 3.73 gears. It also had discs which gets me to a full 4 wheel disc setup on this. Not bad for $102.90 out the door at the yard!

Anyone have any thoughts on a c-clip eliminator for this? Or is that even really needed on a mostly street car? I plan to go though it anyways and rebuild the limited slip, so I could do the conversion.

Attached Files:

4. How’s the rest of the car coming ?
    Any pics of it ?
    Cool car

5. Arominus

Arominus

It’s still resting in its tomb, the deal with my old man is that I have the 392 together before I pull it out of the barn. I’m buying a cam and lifters in the next week or two, then I can start building the short block, I still have to do valves, springs, guides and exhaust seats on my heads and then those are done and I’ll be ready to run at that point.

So hopefully I’ll be ready to yank this out mid summer and start getting everything in it so it can move under its own power this season. Then I can work on it more through the winter.

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Keep plugging away at it. That Desoto is one of Exners finest designs. I have another Exner wonder....a 61 Chrysler Newport im building a 300 clone out of..

7. Arominus

Arominus

thanks! The 300 is my inspiration for this one, it’s going to be great to be able to rock a forward look car again, it’s been 20 years for since I’ve been able to. I’m excited!