Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2020 Banger Meet Thread - 4 are Essential***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2020.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Yes Chelle and I were both sad to hear the news of the cancellation. I am sad I wont get to see any of my hotrod family. Here is to hoping things quiet down and the Hill Climb still happens. On a better note I am not under any time crunch to get my coupe back together and finish my daughter's gokart.

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  2. If you find yourself more in love with that 6-1 head, Ill buy the lion3 off of you ;)

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bent, soldered brackets and overflow tube on a fire extinguisher overflow today. Cleaned it up and now for clear coat IMG_20200505_150911096.jpeg IMG_20200505_160418392.jpeg IMG_20200505_170511301.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. railcarmover

railcarmover

^^^5 hp increase in shine alone^^^

Old Dawg, Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  5. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Checking in... OHV head rebuilt, custom milled valves.
    Just waiting on rocker rebuild, then custom pushrods, then we'll get her running again.
    0418201125a.jpg

0418201126.jpg

chryslerfan55, poshdbs, burl and 4 others like this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somebody been eating at that block

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmmm, 'purdy. Thanks for keeping us updated here. I was able to use BBC valves and offset keepers on mine. The keepers were to drop the retainer so not to interfere with the rockers. Recall that it was Neon OHC valve spring that worked with a good spring rate. Had to place some additional shims under the rocker stands to get the rockers to hit the valve stems in the proper place. Look it over real good before you call it quits as the rocker geometry is not optimal the way Cragar/Miller/Schofield sent them out in my experience.... but I may have had a Sunday shift item.

chryslerfan55, jadz928 and Jet96 like this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sold it right off ............ thanks

9. railcarmover

railcarmover

^^^sold a vortex dual updraft manifold,the remorse still lingers..all speed parts stay with me from now on,the woman can line my casket with them if she wants too ^^^

chryslerfan55, waxhead, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i too have sold many items that i wish i had back . to me , selling one to get another is broke hot rodding . no $$$ you do with what you have . when i was a kid , there were no after market hot rod parts . you went to the junk yards for parts . chevy speed parts were off corvettes , others had to do what they could . what woulda , coulda , shouda , was part of life . best times ever !

chryslerfan55, Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Ill play. Check out this head i found. Just put it on my A along with a dual updraft vortex intake and 2 zenith-2s. Runs like a raped ape now. Car already had a touring cam. Its .200 taller than a stock a head, so i had to make a custom distributor shaft. Also uses champion #7 plugs. 20200412_145546.jpeg 20200412_145620.jpeg 20200412_145626.jpeg 20200412_145648.jpeg IMG_20200422_141911_914.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Old Dawg, burl and 7 others like this.
  12. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

can you tell me where you had the rebuild done?

13. Trouble is brewing over here.............
    I found an old Gemsa Morales casting that was never finished.
    Put guides and seats in this week. Not sure what it will finish as, thinking SOHC.
    IMG_0510reduced.jpg

chryslerfan55, GuyW, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, it keeps the mind active...

I've been toying with the idea of side draft carbs on a flathead B in the works. Need feedback. I'm looking at Carter YH's. Don't know much about them. Corvette in '54, Nash, Ford marine, turbo Corvair...talk me into or out of them and into something else.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Jet96 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the ground. 90” wb, may need to graft in 3 to 5”. Playing with driving position over the next few days.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. IMG_1103reduced.jpg IMG_1106reduced.jpg
    Windup,
    I don't know for sure, I have a friend who is putting two of them on a blown flathead V8. I made an adaptor to go from a Fraser manifold to a Scott blower.
    It might be good if a single on the flathead "A" motor, I am thinking just too large to be used in a pair. Now looking at these pics, the carb venturies may not bee too big afterall.

Let us know how it works, John
    found pics

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I had a period of curious thoughts of using the same carbs on a banger too. Collected a few carbs off of ebay. looks promising. Never got past idle head scratching.

chryslerfan55, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking adapter. I can't see the kind of money that you've got to part with for some of the Riley or Miller s side drafts. I know that the YH's can likely be had for way less. I guess a PM to @ carbking is in order

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the Corvair is somewhere around 160 cubic inch engine. One might not be enough and two, too much. There might be variations between application...just don't know. I'll update as I learn... Thanks for the reply

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Jim Brierley runs 3ea 97s on his flathead banger. I have run 2 48s (1.03" venturi) on a banger. The benefit of the stromberg is different size jets are readily available. Not sure about the Carters. I have run the Carters on turbo corvairs. They work well. never had to tune a pair running together though.

chryslerfan55 and Old Dawg like this.
  21. patina steve

patina steve

Lion Head with machine work done by Piriano ❓ 2013 Head.jpg Lion Head close up.JPG

22. patina steve

patina steve

More Banger heads to chew on " look closely there are three different heads "
    Regular Head
    Dome Piston Head
    Reverse Flow Head
    FLAT PISTON HEADS & REVERSE CHMBRS 002.JPG

Jet96, Old Dawg, burl and 3 others like this.
  23. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I've run two Riley side drafts on a warmed up B .
    I have a couple of short videos that were taken by guys who were presnt on initial startup. I could send you (I think) a copy to look over this equipment running. I don't know how to attach such here. Would need your phone number to send to.
    These were 1 and half inch throats. They ran that engiine great !! I was advised by 'old tiimers', that wasting time...as it wasn't doable/practical, although NONE had ever done it..ha !
    I also have Riley's BIG carb pair..2". I'm aware that Riley built these for 'racing'. That doesn't mean that they couldn't be run on the street. IMO, you just would need an engine able to accept/run them, eh.

Jet96, waxhead and winduptoy like this.
  24. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

I’m running dual 1 3/4” SU’s on mine. Police head, mild cam, homemade dual exhaust manifolds. I feel like it runs well with this set up, for whatever that’s worth. I don’t know how they compare to the carbs you’re considering, though.

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  25. carbking

carbking

With all due respect, the "Carter YC's" are actually Carter YH's (the "H" stands for horizontal).

The Corvair used a single with a turbo.

Chevrolet used three on a 235.

Dearborn Marine (Ford) used two on a 312.

There are quite a few other applications

The carbs DO vary internally.

If anyone gets serious, give me a call. Advice is always free (some might tell you that is overpriced ;) ); but there is lots to learn about the YH carbs. Just as a teaser, there are 4 distinct generations of the YH, and not all components are interchangeable. And the used to be common (haven't checked recently) FLAPS rebuilding kit has gaskets only for generation 3 and generation 4, but advertised to fit them all.

Jon

26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Jon, thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten back to change my post...YH. I am going to give you a call..thanks for the reply

Old Dawg likes this.
  27. 97

So are you going to tell us , or is it a puzzle for us to solve?:D
    Who makes these heads? Do they come as blanks for you to machine or are they custom made to order?
    The high dome head is obvious , and from what I can see the two outside heads in the front row are the reverse flow heads?, it is kind of hard to tell which way the ramp goes in some of the pics, I guess due to lighting/reflections, or it may just be my eyes!
    The extra coolant passages are interesting , is the coolant cavity modified as well? Can we see the rest of the reverse flow block and porting and the high dome pistons in and out of the block, or is it area 57 material? Who grinds the reverse flow cams and what firing order do you use?
    I note that you have cast in extra clamping lugs , what do they tie into ? girdle ?

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    winduptoy likes this.
  28. patina steve

patina steve

The heads were machined from 6061 by Pat Gary in Paso Robles CA , they are no loinger available. The lugs on the side of the head were for mounting the billet in the CNC machine . The holes for cooling actually line up with the holes in the block , Crane grinds the reverse cams the firing order is standard 1 - 2 - 4 - 3

Jet96, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  29. Steve,
    If I recall correctly, the heads were machined in two pieces and then "glued" together.
    I forget the process, but as I recall it worked very well.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. What are my options for running dual strombergs on a model B and using a choke CABLE. Most photos I see are Model A running a choke rod. I know there are pieces that hold the cable, but not seeing a decent way to attach the cabel end to the carb Ball. I have a cast edmunds unit but it requires grinding the heck out of the ball. Gotta be a better way.