Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 327 sbc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1948, May 6, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That phobia stems from the days when you could just buy a new one at the dealer parts counter.

3. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Doesn’t the concern change when you are considering a cast crank versus a forged one? And doesn’t it have to do with hardening of the crank in the manufacturing process?

4. Fordors

Fordors

You might be thinking of the Tufftride treated cranks first used in the 1967 L-88 and later on the ‘70 LT-1.
    Tufftride is a heat treat process where the steel is put in a cyanide salts bath and it adds a thin, only .001-.002, hard surface. No small journal cranks had the Tufftride done by the factory.

5. Hren59

Hren59

Maybe I don’t want a a 60 yr old part that doesn’t have any future rebuilds left in it, or I guess I don’t know anything

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had a lot of small journal 327's with steel cranks ground 10/10 no issues spun em up too. Currently have two--again no issues. My 57 Fuely 283/283 had a 10/10 as well--wound it up pretty good too-no issues.

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Have a small journal crank here, that I know needs turning(one bad rod journal). Trade for something, if anyone's in my area.

8. My current 350 is 60 over
    10/20 crank.
    The last go around for this block.
    It was free cause I guy didn’t want to spend $ on a blocks last time.
    I’m enjoying the crap out of it.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a inline six that I gave away last year through my local machine shop and while I was talking things over he asked if I wanted some SBC heads. The story is they did the work and the owner changed his mind so they were available for machine time. This is not unusual that people find out they can't afford the work. I have bought blocks before from machine shops same story.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

You will run out of available bearing undersizes before you ever get anywhere near making the crank weaker due to being ground undersize, that's what a lot of guys don't seem to understand. I've seen guys refuse to use a 20/20 undersize because "it will break". With bearings good to .040 or even .050 under there are still 2 or 3 regrinds left on that 20/20 crank.

Cast or forged, doesn't matter, neither are weaker because they've been ground undersize.
    Factory Heat treat is only a surface wear inhibiter, not a strength gaining process.

Hot tip....serious high rpm guys using stock small journal cranks get them reground to Honda 1.88" journal....that's .120 undersize from stock.
    Same sizes NASCAR has been using for 20 years now.

11. jaracer

jaracer

Ran into the cam/compression ratio in my race car. I had been running about 11:1 with an Isky 505T, pulled great off the corner. Tried a Racer Brown 42R for a bit more duration, it still pulled off the corner, but had more on the top. I had a short block with 8.5:1 compression. I put it together for a USAC race with the Racer Brown cam and had no pull on the bottom end. Once you got it going it pulled like mad. Switched back to the Isky cam and got the bottom end back. Low compression ratio's don't like long duration cams at least at lower rpm.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ericnova72, other than aluminum rods, where do you get rods for a sbc with a 1.88 rod journal? Lippy

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know I'm not Ericnova72, but I do know Oliver makes them. Others might make them as well.

14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Just about everyone.
    Eagle, SCAT, Callies, Molnar, Carillo, Pankl, Oliver

Also a ton of NASCAR take-offs on Ebay and such, but they are not a direct fit into an SBC, they are smaller wrist pin, narrower width because they run piston guided rods, and most are now using 1.85" journal(Olds Aurora size IIRC). You can get them cheap though, as low as $50 a set, they can't hardly give them away,....just the custom crank and piston needed takes it out of average budget territory....not that big an issue for guys building a serious 10,000 rpm engine though.
    Just for giggles to look at, makes you sick that it takes such expensive cranks and pistons just to use them
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Carrillo...274497&hash=item4b7922c2ea:g:ImsAAOSw10FeEg~U
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NASCAR-CAR...019289?hash=item594a9eef59:g:uUUAAOSwbEReinJe

Last edited: May 9, 2020