Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy Cameo. Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's tough to tell from the photos. However, if it's 6 inches wide from the outside lips of the wheel, it's probably either a 5 inch or 5 1/2 inch wide wheel, (at the bead).

The one that I'm looking for is around 7 inches to 7 1/4 inches wide at the outside edges. It is 6 inches wide where the tire beads mount. Thank you for checking.

That's a really nice looking wheel. It's one that would chrome up well, and could be used to make a nice chrome reverse wheel.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-picture-thread.330573/page-373#post-11646225

Thank you. By the way, I've been doing some work on the 41 Pontiac that I bought from you, about 3 years ago. The body is permanently back on the frame, with new body mounts, and I've been installing a steering column and wheel.

A few years ago I found a really nice column and wheel out of a 1949 Pontiac. I also swapped the power steering box out for a manual box. This summer, I found a 270 GMC six engine with a 270 "H-Head". This was out of a 1950 GMC grain truck. Have a Nicson 2 x 1 intake for the GMC, and a 57 Chevy 3 speed O.D. trans, as well. Have been collecting a few other misc. parts, including a '48 Pontiac hood ornament and an original radio.

Not sure if I'll use them or not, but I also have a set of 1942 Buick fade-away fenders and a pair of 46 Pontiac front fenders. Have always liked the look of full fade- away fenders on a 1940's style custom car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Did some measuring on the wheels Sunday. The overall width from inside lip to outside lip is 7 1/4 inches. It is approximately 4 inches from the mounting face to the inside lip, and approximately 3 inches from the mounting face to the outside lip.

Two of the wheels have a several layers of paint on them, so no numbers or stampings were visible. However, the third has a sticker on it. This is on the inside of the rim, and was protected by the tire that was mounted. This number is KH 48442.

Haven't found any info on the number, but it's probably a Kelsey Hayes part number.

Sure hope that I can find a fourth matching wheel. They would really look sharp, (and unique), chromed and reversed, like it was done in the 1950's.

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I'll take a look this afternoon, we've been getting a lot of rain the past week or so. Just foggy today so should be able to get out back.

loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Check your PM's.

loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This showed up today. A NOS 600 cfm Holley 1850-2. From the date code it was made in either 1973, or 1983.

It's going on a Power Pack 283, that I had bored .030, balanced, and completely rebuilt in about 2009. The engine was never installed or fired after the rebuild. No pics of the engine......It takes awhile to get film developed, these days. LOL. However, it's got Corvette valve covers, 1960's era Eelco valve cover bolts, and will get an Edelbrock C4B intake, that used to be on my 59 BelAir.

NOS Holley 1850-2 B.jpg NOS Holley 1850-2 A.jpg NOS Holley 1850-2.jpg

7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Found another pair of H.D truck wheels. They were in Northern Wisconsin. These match the 15" x 6" wheels that I already had. Now, I'll have to decide to either paint them, (red), or make a set of chrome reverse wheels out of them.

ZZZ Wis. Wheel.jpg ZZZ Wis. Wheel 3.jpg Sams Wheels.jpg

METAL MELTDOWN, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The engine is all ready to go in. Still need to go through the trans, though.

Cameo 283.jpg HD Muncie 3 Speed, Memory Lanes.jpg

9. I have been cleaning and organizing today, and happened on a catalogue for Chevy and GMC trucks, that happens to have a lot of little pieces for Cameos. Here is the Link:
    bowtiebits.com

I hope it is useful information
    Bob

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Bob....Thanks for the link. I hadn't hear of that company before.

loudbang likes this.
  11. A couple of years ago, I ordered the rear bowtie emblem from them, and it was an excellent re-pop.
    Bob

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Got a few more things done on the Cameo. The engine is installed.

Engine 283 A 5 9 2020.jpg Engine 283 B 5 9 2020.jpg

Deuces, OahuEli, rod1 and 8 others like this.
  13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The steering box, column and steering wheel are in, too. The steering box and shaft are out of a 58 Chevy pickup. The steering wheel is from a 59 Impala, and the turn signal housing, column shift cup, and mast jacket are out of a 56 Chevy 210 4 door sedan.

Steering Column A 5 9 2020.jpg

40FORDPU, 59chev, LAROKE and 8 others like this.
  14. Oooh, too nice John

15. loudbang

loudbang

Red and White looks good. :)

Torkwrench likes this.
  16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

You're right, Sam.....It'll be a lot nicer than I should build it, but it was my Dad's truck. However, as nice as it will be, it will be used as a truck. Mainly pulling my 55 on a car trailer to the drag strip.

It'll have come a long way from how it was when Dad bought it in 1987. By the way, the "Runs, drives good" in the 1987 ad was a bit of an exaggeration. The original 235 had over .030 taper on the cylinders, and the steering had over a half turn of slop when Dad bought it. LOL.

scan0012.jpg scan0002.jpg

17. Budget36

Budget36

Still a good price for a Cameo in the mid-80's :)

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

With help from my Brother Bob, (hrbhrb here on The HAMB), and Brother Carl, the windshield and rear window are back in the Cameo. The windshield is an original out of a 56 GMC grain truck, while the rear window is original to the Cameo.

Windshield A.jpg Windshield AA.jpg Windshield B.jpg Rear Window B.jpg

Deuces, j-jock, simplestone and 8 others like this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The front fenders and hood are in finished paint, and all of the front sheet metal is back on the truck, (except for the hood). The rear fenders and tailgate are in finished paint, too. However, that roll of film is still in my camera, waiting to be used up, and sent off to be developed.

Also, there has been another change in the transmission. I found a few original truck 4 speeds for a good price. They are Sm 420's. With the granny 1st gear, it should be great for pulling a car trailer from a stop.

The Novak Guide to the GM Muncie SM420 Transmission (novak-adapt.com)

Now I need to find a driveshaft for this trans / stock rear axel combination.

Fenders and Hood Oct. 2020 B.jpg Fenders and Hood Oct. 2020 A.jpg

Deuces, swade41, guthriesmith and 6 others like this.
  20. If you are, for certain, going with the SM 420, you will be a lot happier with the transmission by using a full synthetic 75-90 gear lube as the fill. If I was running that transmission, I would use a good quality 15W-50 racing oil. It would make shifting and driving with that unit a much more pleasant experience.
    Bob

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

With assistance from my Brothers Bob and Carl, the hood and rear fenders are installed. The front sheet metal and rear fenders still have to be aligned and adjusted, though. I'll be starting on that, tomorrow. Photos are courtesy of my Brother Bob, (hrbhrb here on The HAMB).

R Front March 20 2021.jpg Rear Left March 20 2021.jpg Right Rear March 3 2021.jpg

Deuces, rc57, swade41 and 11 others like this.
  22. Looks great! You may want to install the front vertical box trim before you fully attach the box sides. If I remember correctly from when I had mine, those trim pieces are a pain to install.

23. Budget36

Budget36

Looking good!

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yes, they are a pain to install. Right now, the box is slid back on the frame about 6 inches, just to bolt the trim pieces on.

loudbang and Al T like this.
  26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A few more things are done. The truck box is finished, with all of the support rods, braces, trim pieces and tailgate installed. Still have to put on the taillights, tire carrier, and rear bumper, though.

The transmission is finally in. A couple of weeks ago, I started cleaning up the truck 4 speed. When I turned it on it's side to scrape the grease and dirt off of it, water ran out. Fortunately, the gears and bearings all looked OK....It was just a little sludgy in the bottom of the case.

However, I decided to go with a 3 speed overdrive. A friend of mine had a nice one for sale. He completely rebuilt the overdrive unit in the 1990's, and then stored it about 20 years ago. Fortunately, I already had a Hurst shifter and installation kit for a 55 - 57 Chevy O.D. trans.

ZZZ 1957 3-speed overdrive.jpg

27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just bought a shifter for the Cameo. It's a NOS Hurst Syncro/Loc - Dual Pattern 3 speed overdrive shifter. From the installation sheet and other info, it was made in 1965 - 1966.

Hurst OD D.jpg Hurst OD C.jpg Hurst OD A.jpg Hurst OD B.jpg Hurst OD E.jpg

Deuces, swade41, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's been a few months since the last update. This is mainly due to a lack of photos. My camera is a Kodak from about 1950, so it still uses roll film.....And I've been too lazy to take any photos. LOL!

However, ALOT has been done. The interior is finished, as is the entire driveline. I kinda hated to actually use the NOS Hurst shifter, but that is what it was bought for, so it was installed.

Basically, it's down to wiring the taillights, and the towing hookup plug. The rear bumper and spare tire carrier have to be installed, too. After that, the nice wheels and tires go on. The exhaust will follow.

The taillights will get wired tomorrow, and the rear bumper / spare tire carrier are planned for the following weekend. The bumper is already painted with the ends and guards chromed. The nice wheels and tires are ready to install, too.

After these things are done, it'll be ready for the first start since May 1996......Just in time for winter.

29. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here are some photos that have not been posted. They are from May 1996, when the Cameo was totaled. This is what the Cameo was like when I started it's current rebuild.

Cameo Wreck A.jpg Cameo Wreck D.jpg Cameo Wreck E.jpg Cameo Wreck F.jpg Cameo Wreck G.jpg Cameo Wreck H.jpg Cameo Wreck I.jpg Cameo Wreck May 1996 .jpg

LAROKE, rod1 and loudbang like this.
  30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Well, I finally finished up the roll of film in my camera and had it developed. So, here are some photos, although most are from a year ago. These are from when the cab was getting it's finished paint. At this point, the red around the cab windows has not been sprayed. This was from around the summer / fall of 2019.

Z26.jpg Z24.jpg Z23.jpg

LAROKE likes this.