Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford banjo rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HaroldDegand, May 8, 2020.

1. Hi, as I’m rebuilding my rear end, I saw this issue.
    Is it the castle nut to long or the drive shaft to short ?
    There is no cotter pin.
    The rear end was rebuild several years ago.
    549C86A2-72B3-4E00-A00C-0CFA4C3B62FB.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Looks like the wrong nut.

3. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

1932 diff. 8 may 2020

I agree with panheadguy the nut appears to be the wrong one. Your 1932 diff is similar to a Model A Ford diff with respect to the drive shaft, it is one piece from the u-joint thru the pinion. I have included a link to Tom Eddy manual of Model A Ford diff rebuild which may be helpful.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...rential-Rear-End-Restoration-Revised-2014.pdf
    Page 61 & 62 shows the pinion , nut, drive shaft, and key.

Here is a link to Ford sales in the UK for a model A pinion nut. It appears to be the correct one.

https://www.oneillvintageford.co.uk/acatalog/vintage-ford-1909-31-drive-shaft-nut-t-2598.html
    I would try the nut first as it is not to expensive. If you still cannot align the nut with the hole and it's close you can remove a small amount of material from the base of the nut.
    There is another thing to consider the key the pinion slide into may have a burr on it not allowing the pinion to fully seat. You will need a puller to remove the pinion and refer to Tom Eddy manual for this.
    Once you have removed the pinion check to see if the are any nick, dents on the items. Then I would leave the key out and test fit the pinion on the drive shaft and install the nut and see if the hole aligns up. I helped a friend rebuild one of these a couple years back so I am going on memory for some of the details. Good luck. Gary in MN

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My rearmed is a '56 and I thought I needed to have it rebuilt but it was just hemroids. Preparation H fixed me right up!

5. Thank you very much.
    I’ve red a lot the Tom Eddy website, it’s really very helpful.
    I’ ve order the Van Tardel books, but they are blocked in San Francisco since the last month.
    So I’m impatient.
    Thanks for UK link, I didn’t know it.
    Today, I get the shaft out of the banjo and tried to remove the castle nut.
    Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  6. P1070090.JPG
    P1070095.JPG
    P1070096.JPG
    P1070097.JPG
    P1070098.JPG
    I'm pretty sure now the shaft has been shortened :-/

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks that way to me too. you can see the remains of the cotter pin hole. not sure why anyone would do that?