Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolbeans, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do you call the medical student that graduated last-in-class?

Doctor.

Chavezk21, cfmvw, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  2. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

What do you call the car that finishes last in the race?

Loser.

VANDENPLAS and mad mikey like this.
  3. As stated, Fram has different levels of filters. The Ultra Guard have synthetic media and better internal materials. Also higher price. Likewise the HP racing filters are made better and have higher price. The orange Extra Guard are made to ap rice point and not to a higher quality standard. They can work fine, especially for a beater car or something not as critical. They could work for a critical application, but to me that is false economy when you can get a better filter for just a little more. Such as the Fram higher end products. I agree that a WIX, Napa (made by WIX), Fleetguard (made by Cummins), Donaldson, Hastings, are all examples of good filters.

If you want to beat the oil filter discussion to death, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and spend the rest of the day reading. That site is a serious rabbit hole you can get stuck down in for hours.

4. silent rick

silent rick

i've used them for almost 40 years. then you guys scared me so i switched to wix. never noticed a difference.

VANDENPLAS, Budget36 and Fordors like this.
  5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

My local independent auto parts store had several brands cut open and sitting on the shelf. You could decide for yourself. No preferential treatment was given.

INVISIBLEKID and egads like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

How's this for a freudian slip from 38Chevy454?
    "Likewise the HP racing filters are made better and have higher price. The orange Extra Guard are made to ap rice point and not to a higher quality standard."
    "RICE POINT" Chinese crapola. :p:D

7. 5window

5window

Oh, can't we just bury the xenophbic Chinese crap already? "With deep manufacturing roots in Gastonia, N.C., WIX is a global company with manufacturing locations on four continents – including North America, South America, Europe and Asia." https://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

VANDENPLAS, XXL__, K13 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Wasn't me. I graduated vet school 3rd in my class-32 years ago today. Oh, and real doctors treat more than one species. :)

cfmvw and chevy57dude like this.
  9. 43BFEEDC-4429-4161-B920-98619A040761.jpeg 3FF17DA4-91A0-403E-9D47-339608F6249F.jpeg
    Traditional oil filtration

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That’s fantastic advertising for those junk filters

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    egads likes this.
  11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That video says what I have been saying for years use either a Wix or NAPA Gold filter

triumph 1, warbird1 and egads like this.
  12. cfmvw

cfmvw

I don't want a doctor who practices medicine; I want a doctor that knows what he/she is doing!

s55mercury66, 427 sleeper and egads like this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I'd much rather have veterinarian treat me than a GP. Most of a vet's patients can't tell him what's wrong. I can tell my GP what's wrong and he'll always say, " I want you to try this medicine, treatment or whatever for a few days. Let me know how it works." Hell, he's supposed to know how it works.

Chicster, VANDENPLAS, BamaMav and 4 others like this.
  14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

For the sake of comparison, it's too bad there weren't any OE filters cut open in the video. I've used WIX on my personal vehicles since the early 80's because that's what the local parts house stocks.

15. RmK57

RmK57

One thing that happened to me with a Fram filter was the rubber ring stuck to block. Didnt notice it even when I spun my new Fram filter on. I considered myself lucky with only 2 quarts of oil on the ground when I started it up and checked for leaks. I guess it could happen with any brand filter though.

egads and warbird1 like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

During the winter months when I was driving 100 miles a day to and from work I had my oil changed at Wally World and they used Fram filters,one day going to work I noticed white smoke in the mirror and people getting away from me in a hurry so I pulled over and looked under the truck and the Fram filter was starting to come apart at the seams so I limped it home and changed the oil and was very late to work.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

been there, done that

18. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

24 hours and three pages later, the original poster hasn't said one effen word.

Can you say, "Hen Party?"

VANDENPLAS and egads like this.
  19. His fram internet filter is clogged

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Brought up memories of "Henry!!", B52's or Talking Heads? Grr, age thing.

As you were, use a Fram filter and die.

So, for Shits and Giggles, how many factory engines dies from a Fram?

Now who would use a factory replacement oil filter for a hard running engine/

So, If I build a a 383 SBC, I want make 600HP, would I use factory rods? etc, or would I upgrade?

So, now I have an engine upgraded inside, do I go grab the least expensive filter on the shelf?

Probably not.

Would I research stuff to see what would be right?nch.

All said, Hastings used to make a nice long filter that could be taken off with a 3/4? wrench. Miss that filter

22. Well,,,,,when I read the first post,,,,by Koolbeans,,,,,I kind of thought he was just kidding anyway .
    He has been on the Hamb for some time,,,I’m certain he has seen these threads before .

Lol,,,,,and everyone went for it ,,just like always .
    Besides,,,,,6 of 1,,,Half a dozen of the other,,,,,,,what does it really matter .
    How many millions of old Flathead engines ran forever and never had a filter at all ?

Tommy

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago when I was going to junior college a guy I worked with wanted to be a vet. He always said he had to study whenever we were all going out to party. He said he needed a 4.0 in order to get into UC Davis to become a vet. I asked him what he would do if he didn't get into to vet school and in all seriousness he replied, "become a doctor, I guess". Luckily he did get into vet school because we really don't need people who chose Med school as a second choice. As for me I choose to go to the parties and got drafted, but that's a different story.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't need the vid, I've done that myself. Found the same junk shit inside the FRAM back in 92, cardboard and disintigrating filter media, and it was on that engine for a while, something like at least 3 hours and the cutting open was fresh engine inspection for metal, etc. Did a WIX and that's always my go-to filter choice ever since.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Last time I did that was on my pickup. When I got home, the starter had died, so I jacked it up to take it off. My son was laying under the truck with me, handing me tools, and just happened to reach up and touch the oil filter....it wiggled! He grabbed it with his hand and turned it 3 rounds! It was just fixing to start leaking and maybe even fall off, and it only had been drive 35 miles from WalMart. I called them up and told them a few things, none very nice, and have never set foot in a WalMart "service center" again! Told my wife to never take her vehicle there, either.

26. aircap

aircap

One of my early jobs was working in the auto parts section of a local chainstore similar to Walmart. Therefore, I cannot even THINK of Fram without automatically thinking PH8A. Sold a lot of Ford filters to the Sunday afternoon crowds buying a half-case of oil and filters to go home and doing a little shadetree wrenching.

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

did have too bring it up?.....Maryann.... geez

5window likes this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes I didn’t need the video either. When I worked for the local Ford dealership the parts department had a display sent out by motorcraft filters using the same thing, several filters cut apart do you could see the can thickness and filter elements. Among the filters was a Fram, what a joke seeing one cut apart

30. ...in B4 the lock....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.