Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Slam Shifters - Bridgeport, CT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullet Nose, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Does anyone on here have info or knowledge of this club?

I was contacted by someone who saw a photo of their plaque on my website ...

[​IMG]

He purchased the 54 Ford Coupe shown below and was looking for info about it and the owner. The seats have Slam Shifters embroidered in them. The car is now in Australia. Can anyone shed light about this car?

SS-1.jpg

ss-5.jpg SS-2.jpg

LOST ANGEL and catdad49 like this.
  2. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Still don't know why I get a RED X when I try to post the URL to the photos so I'll upload it here.

SlamShifters_Bpt.jpg

3. Photogs189

Photogs189

4. Photogs189

Photogs189

I was born in Bridgeport, ct , During my teens in the late 50's to 66 when I went to Air Force in Japan.
    Was stationed in Mass in 67. Never heard of the club during those times. I will ask some of my older friends. The only one I can remember in the 6O's were the Perdominators Car Club.

5. Photogs189

Photogs189

I haven't found anyone in the BPT, area that knows of the club.
    I did find a picture of the drag plate on O'Briens Truckers website.
    If and when our Friday night cruises start I will ask our cruisers if they know of the club or the car.

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks for the follow-up. It's funny that the guy in Australia also wrote me today to see if I got any responses.

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

One month follow-up after I got a message to see if I got any info about this car he had shipped to Australia. Thank you Photogs189 for checking.

Anyone else have info? If not, I'll put this one to rest ...

8. Photogs189

Photogs189

I remember your request but I haven't been able to find any info yet.

After much conversation we have canceled our Friday cruise night for the 2020 season.
    We figured it would be difficult social distancing 6 feet part as set by the state.
    Right now we can only have 125 people at an event, Also vehicles have to be 6 feet apart.

If an when I see some of our cruisers I will address your request to them.

Take Care and Be Safe.
    Pete

9. Photogs189

Photogs189

I have talked to two more people and neither heard of the Slam Shifters Car Club.
    One was a police officer in Bridgeport during this time period. He was involve with
    cars during this time and belonged to the Perdominators CC.

The other person has asked his circle of car friends and no one remembers them.
    He said during that period there were times a few guy that got together and made a club.
    They got drag plates and then the club folded.

Michael Douglas (the actor) lived a few towns away in Westport, Ct. He was a member of
    the Downshifters CC. They started in the late 50's and was done by 1967.

That's it for now

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I think Michael Douglas brother still lives in either Westport or the Silermince area and I think he also has something to do with making movies. I remember years ago when I lived in Silvermine meeting him.
    Jimbo

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks to all for putting forth an effort for the guy in Australia. I'll let him know and will send him a link to this thread.

Hope everyone has a great Father's Day on Sunday.

12. Photogs189

Photogs189

Sounds good. I will still ask around when we get back to normal and resume cruises..

13. Photogs189

Photogs189

14. Photogs189

Photogs189

Just one last statement on the Slam Shifters.
    I have found out from an old club member that he vaguely remembers the Slam Shifters C.C..
    He is not sure of the years and said the club was short lived. Also during that time period
    there were three 1954 Merc. post cars in Bridgeport but no hardtops that he could remember.
    Take Care and Be Safe