Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeucePhaeton, May 8, 2020.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Who has a winch on their trailer?
    What is adequate, what is over kill?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and 1934coupe like this.
  2. I am no expert but I would think that a winch with a slightly higher capacity rating than the trailer weight rating would be adequate. Or just buy the gnarliest, biggest winch you can afford. The only experience I have with them is at work and my boss always goes the overkill route, haven't broken one yet.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

gotta have a winch...or carry a come-a-long with your, like I did before I got the winch. One thing about mine, the battery has never gone dead in the 25 years I've been using it. I did lose the handle once though.

catalog page is from 1970.

The pretty paint is from when I spiffed up my trailer in 2014.

winch sears.jpg winch.jpg

bobss396, vtx1800, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

8892ECCD-8654-4B4F-9ED1-993711BD5765.jpeg
    Used a Warn 8000 pound winch to drag this A chassis On my tilt trailer. Winch is inside tool box and is equipped with a wireless remote. I can back my trailer up to the four post lift and using a snatch block and the winch, I can put a dead car on the lift. Changed from a cable to a rope last year

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.

5. trollst

trollst

Got a warn 12000 pounder on mine, it'll drag a dead cadillac up on it.

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

OOOHH... "Winch"....I though you knew my ex wife....

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

5kw er maybe a 8kw, but the thing that makes it not mater is a doubbler. 10k for 5k....
    Ya I've got one but I'm not going to show you......

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

DeuceP I have a Superwinch on 2 trailers and they are both 20+ years old without running out to the trailer I think it's a 3500# winch it has about 50' cable so I can use a snatch block and halve the load pull. It is not overkill by any means anything less would only be penny wise pound foolish in my opinion. The one thing I did not get which I regret every time I use it, is the free wheel out. I have to hold the out button every time I want to use the winch. Also I saw that the new ones have a remote control option, I would definitely get that. Like the Rod Stewart song goes.

Choose wisely!

Pat

Flathead Dave and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My two car trailers have winches. It is helpful to load with but can even be more helpful unloading in a controlled manner.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1934coupe likes this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

MY trailer has a 5000 lb winch, I run it off a jumper pack when I need to use it.
    KK

Hombre and DeucePhaeton like this.
  11. The trailer is gone now, but I kept the winch. I used the Warn 8000 lb winch, and it loaded full sized cars with no problem.
    I used an electric boat winch, before switching to the Warn. It was rated for 3500 lb, and it was adequate.
    Bob

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have used two 5000 lb winches from Dutton Lainson. They have about 50 foot of cable and are very compact. They come with a remote control that has about 20 ft of cord. I have them hardwired to the 12 volt system in the tow vehicle. One was in my 40 ft 5th wheel and I used it to winch a chassis up on the double deck when I was doing trade shows. The latest one is in my 20 ft trailer just to help me load rollers.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

FYI. I bought my winch at the PRI show. Those guys showing them really don't want to drag them out and take them back to the factory. Just a thought in case there is a show somewhere near you that has a winch display.

DeucePhaeton likes this.
  14. It all depends on what you’re loading.
    There’s no freaking way in hell you need a 5000 winch to load a damn car. You’re not lifting the thing into a tree well maybe you are??? You could Do that you know if you’re bored

Yanking crap out of the mud, ditch, buried to the axles, locked brakes makes things a little different I suppose but that’s what wreckers are for, at least for me.

A buddy of mine drug a POS firebird into his enclosed trailer, oh yeah the 10k winch had no problems at all dragging it up there. Now it’s been stuck in there for about 5-6 years now. Stupid because I told him to call a tow truck to get it. Ohhhh hell no- I got a 10k winch. hes tried everything and the wreckers couldn’t do it so he called bigger wreckers. He wouldn’t sign the waiver because they said there will be damage to the trailer.,

Obviously a 3k hand cranker is enough

stanlow69 and stillrunners like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I;ve a hand cranker on a flat bed, it's work. Bought HF 4K?, don't recall, it'll pull a car/truck up the ramps. Would like a Warn, then again I'd like the PTO winch we had on a old Ford. When this one (HF)dies I'll spend 60 bucks for another.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Warn 4500# winch on my trailer. That is adequate for dragging anything into the trailer that can roll. As 31Vicky says, trailer winches are not generally subjected to the same abuse as winch on a 4x4. A 4500# winch can lift an average-sized vehicle into the air. That means it can drag a rolling load of at least twice that amount up the slight ramp into the trailer. I can drag a much larger vehicle than would actually fit into my trailer.

And having a wireless remote is VERY useful, especially if you need to load a vehicle by yourself.

17. Cheap o'Harbor Freight.....disposable $75 dollar one and if I need I always have come-a-longs loaded up. Have a 5000lb Warn that just sits and a Holms 440 on my wrecker if stuff gets too deep. Most - if they will roll - only give you and I a little pucker. Most times I make sure it will roll on -cause I don't need a fighter to get it off. Had the little HP's I've use a bunch of times - like a dozen or more - and had the same brand/kind that only did 2 or 3 then went to the trash pile but others like I said use a half dozen or more.....got my moneys worth and do other crap with it cause it's not bolted down !

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got one of those small portable ones they sell at WalMart, not even sure what size it is. I welded the quick connect plate onto the front of my trailer, I slip it on when I need it, take it off when I don't. I also have a snatch block and some chains, if it doesn't want to load with the single line, I'll use the snatch block and extend the reach with a chain or two. It does have a free wheel out, but when you loosen the clutch to free wheel you have no control over it, it's going out at what ever speed the load pulls it, not ideal if you're on any kind of incline. Next one I buy will be power in and out plus free wheel, but no more than I use mine anymore, it may be a long time before I need to buy one.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve got a 2500 in my trailer and it’s never worked very hard to pull in my roadster even when it weighed 3500 for Bonneville but it rolls really ez. My son has a 3500 for his 3000 pound dirt car and it doesn’t work either. A 1500 would probably work for either... but then again we have never had to drag any dead weight. We can both double with a snatch block.

20. I always had to unhook the trailer, block the wheels, and use the truck to pull dead things onto the trailer.

21. Mimilan

Mimilan

For the occasional heavier loads, just use a pulley block [doubles the weight but halves the speed]
    Wireless remote relays are great for "Load it by yourself" situations.

Word of caution with wireless remote relays! Always reset the remote [similar process to adding a 2nd remote]
    The relays are set at the factory with generic universal code ,and will sometimes switch on by themselves.
    Resetting the relay will clear the old code

We have a 6000lb Chinese winch, that we added a wireless relay to it later.

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back when we were dirt track racing, I burned up a 3500 lbs Superwinch trying to drag the bent up dirt car back onto the trailer. The replacement winch was a 12,000 lbs Warren. It would pull anything I wanted to load onto the trailer. Getting stuff off wasn't usually a problem, at the shop we had ways to lift the wrecked car off the trailer.
    When I used the trailer to haul stuff for other people, I was pretty careful how it was loaded so I knew I could get it unloaded. I did carry snatch blocks and there were times I had to winch the cars off the trailer.
    That 55 Chrysler from out in the field with 4 locked up brakes was a tough one both onto and off of the trailer. Everything (and every one) involved that day earned its keep. Gene

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My trailer is a tilt deck equipped with a 9,000 lb Warn bolted onto a winch mount that plugs into a receiver tube......one of which is welded onto the tongue. That mount allows me to remove the winch if not needed or easily use it directly on my truck receiver. The truck is wired with a Warn power cable system that takes the power from the truck’s battery, thru a relay and the cables run to the rear of the truck and have a quick connector on the end. The winch has a pig tale with a quick connector. Also have wired and wireless remote control units. Easy Peasy. Overkill? Perhaps, but I can safely, quickly and efficiently load and unload the cargo.

Ray

RidgeRunner likes this.
  24. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

I have the harbor freight 5k winch mounted to a draw bar that I slip into a 2inch receiver I welded at the fore end of my trailer. Gets the job done well. The cables that come with the winch are trash though and cannot be left out in the weather. One of my next projects is mounting a harbor freight tongue box on the front of my trailer, mounting a battery box and solenoid inside the tongue box then using an anderson connector for the winch to solenoid interface.

swade41 and RidgeRunner like this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a 12K lb. winch for my trailer; better too much than too little, but it's not installed yet. Sounds like I need to have Hnstray come pay me a visit to work on my trailer. I can't seem to make any headway with this rotten spine of mine.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nope,just a come-a-long,chain n rope some rags an a trailer I built in the 1960s out of scrap I could find at the time,towed all kind of cars,race cars,hot rods n buddy's that needed help. Replaced the come-a-long a few times. That has been handy many time for a lot of things,even engine lifting. It all still works,but tail lights come n go. 002.JPG

bobss396 and Hnstray like this.
  27. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I have a Warn on mine, I don't remember which one. In the 30 years I've had it, it's paid for itself several times over in wrecker bills didn't have to pay.
    At one time I powered it off the truck, used welding cable ran to the back and connected it with a plug from a forklift battery. Now it has it's own battery. Don't have a remote, but if I was looking for a new one, I'd sure want one. Make sure you can freewheel it out too.
    Just beware you will be tempted to drag home a lot of stuff that doesn't run that can be had cheap or free.

28. Really,,,?,?,?
    here’s how it goes around here.
    ringy dingy, ringy dingy.
    hello.
    Help I’m stuck, broke down, wet, cold, hot, freezing.
    Well did you call a tow truck?
    No I called you first.
    Ok, call a tow truck and have them bring it here.
    That will take too long, can you come and get me?
    I can but I’m going to charge you the same and it’s easier on me if you’d just call a tow truck.
    PLEASE,,,,,
    Ok ok ok where you at?
    I’m at the 1234 anystreet it’s on corner of going to monopolize your time and don’t want to call a tow truck.
    Ok I’ll be there in a little bit.

(now the fun starts)
    Fart around and get hooked up, load up the ramps, straps, and battery. Check the lights and get them going. Check the tires maybe air them up what ever.
    Hop in and go, stop and get fuel ( on a good day that’s 30 mins right there). Hit the GPS and get an idea of travel time. Oh it’s just 45 mins away. Drive 45 mins then maybe bake or freeze or get wet for another 1/2 hour to get loaded and tied down. If they don’t have a ride home already I make them get one. Already for sure I’m in no mood to take them home too.

Now I gotta drive 45 mins back, move shit around to get positioned and make a spot for a dead vehicle, get it unloaded and put the trailer back usually in the dark now.

Fuck that shit for $100 tow especially when I drop what I’m already doing and it’s paying more.

Handy? for sure!!
    Could I live without it? No way
    Paying for itself ? Not by a long shot.

uncle buck, tb33anda3rd and winduptoy like this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

Where can you get a tow 45 minutes away for $100? Around here it be at least double that.

30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I failed to say, the enclosed trailer has the cheapest Harbor Freight winch...I think 2500 lb. It was like $50.00 on sale. Fob control. Snatch block doubles that. The gears were so noisy, I disassembled it and packed some Chevron SRI grease in it. It will pull the floor out of the trailer. I use it to load and unload my 4000lb steam car. No reason to burn down the trailer...cheap insurance and like everyone is going to ask if they can open the trailer to take a look at the winch.

Mimilan and Hnstray like this.