Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars for sale, or are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, May 8, 2020.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The problem with these cars is that there is no KBB or guide to go off of, and prices for the same year and model can be legitimately all over the board. Model As can go for anywhere from $5k to $130k. Differences in body style, build quality, overall styling, desirability... it's all over the place. So people naturally start high and then can come back down to earth. Some people never come down, and their car doesn't sell. Of course, as mentioned, some people really don't want to sell, and just list the dreamer price that if someone is crazy enough to pay it they'll let it go. We all have that dollar figure in our head. Let's face it, everything is for sale.

I was at the Detroit Autorama several years ago chatting with some friends at his car in the basement when a well-known, big time player in the hot rod game comes walking up to the car parked next to us (great guy, but would rather not name drop). He politely engages the owner in conversation and asks, "How much do you want for it?". The owner was like, oh it's not for sale, blah blah..., to which the fellow responded, "No. Seriously. How much do you want for it?" They hammered out a deal on a fairly generous price and the car was sold.

31hotrodguy and bobss396 like this.
  2. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Part of the reason this happens so frequently on the HAMB is that running an ad in the classifieds is FREE. That's why you see the same ads (32 Ford Sedan delivery 100K -- running since 2016). There is simply no incentive to take the ad down. As others have said, maybe some sucker will eventually bite. Conversely, there was a car that ran through a few weeks ago (glass lakes style 32 roadster with blown 312 Merc/4 speed) that the guy listed for 21K -- you just knew it was going to sell quick, because he had it priced to move. I'd be surprised if that ad got bumped more than twice before that car was gone.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

People will set a higher than normal price because they know that people watch too much tv and think that everything is negotiable and want to low ball the seller.
    I don't blame people for setting a high price. Like someone said, if you don't like the price, notify the seller for the real asking price.
    And I say, if you don't like the price, then move your sorry ass on.

As for the many "BTT's", don't be rude about your listing. You can delete all of your "BTT's" if you take the time. No one wants to scroll through a years worth of "BTT's". It's annoying as hell.(only on the app)
    I'll go right past an item if I have to scroll. Fuck, That!

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Been watching the classic adds locally more so now that were all stuck at home and already starting to see this virus is affecting the sale of cars and projects. I think economy is going to start dictating prices much like it did about tens years ago. I got nothing against anybody trying to get as much as they can selling whatever they got but we all have our limits as well. Maybe it's just me but unless I'm really serious about selling something my life's too short to deal with lowballers, dreamers, and other assorted idiots which you are sure to encounter before you find someone who is a serious buyer.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When I am a Buyer, and have been many times, I feel the same way about Sellers.....just change a few words in your statement and it works the other way around.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like this idea and would be pleased to see it become H.A.M.B. policy.....the Classifieds are way over populated with obsolete ads for cars and parts.

Ray

Jibs, Texas57, corndog and 8 others like this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

I don't mind the BTTT so much, it helps me to see how long it has been up for sale (yeah I know the post date is "right there ") ,so I have some idea of whether the seller is flexible without having to start a conversation. I was following one car that I believe had been up for sale for almost three years, it finally sold, and I felt kind of foolish for not snapping it up.

arkiehotrods and Flathead Dave like this.
  8. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

A lot of good points by people who are very knowledgable. I would venture to say that not all sellers are as knowledgable. Especially sellers that didn't build/restore the car they are selling. They paid too much for the car originally, paid too much for parts, paid too much to finally have someone else put the car together for them. All of this has them "underwater" on their car and as time go by, it will get worse as car fads change. The other culprit for the ad that runs for months/years is when the ad is free. If the ad was costing the seller money every month, like ads in Hemmings" then the ads are usually pulled if the car doesn't sell reasonably quick. But if the ad only cost you the time to type up a description and post a picture then, what the hell, leave it up for ever. Who cares, it's free!!

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  9. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

This is what is wrong with most of the classic car market.
    People add the labor costs into their price tag on a build.
    Paid labor is usually a sunk cost.

As for the BTT ads, meh, just scroll past them. At least they are actively doing something.
    I'm more annoyed at a posting you find, PM/Email the seller and get crickets back. At least have the courtesy to reply with a response of 'sold/not selling anymore' and have the ad(s) updated or deleted.
    This ain't Craigs List!

31hotrodguy, 2bubbas, raven and 3 others like this.
  10. Keep in mind that some of the more expensive ads are posted by people who build cars for a living. If they don't recoup their labor, they are out of business. Not all cars for sale on here are by hobbyists.

arkiehotrods and nor6304 like this.
  11. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I don't think this sight is a good place to sell a car. I listed 2 project cars for sale for very reasonable prices and I got crickets for the 3 weeks I bumped them bttt. I got a couple trade offers but that was it. I listed them on another sight, (facebook market place) and both sold the first day. I got what I was asking and all were very happy with the deal. I also had 3 other cars I was going to list but the guys that bought the two listed cars called some of there buddies and all were sold in the next day.

12. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Krylon32......People that know anything know that both your car and truck are priced very reasonable.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Something else that causes me to scroll right past, no price, or "Price in ad". I don't know what's up with that, but if I have to open the ad up to see the price I'll scroll right on past it. Put your price right in the description like you're supposed to. You're losing potential buyers if you don't.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe the folks selling are not hungry? There are some some good prices. All said, how much would you sell that XXX you have? Sell it to get rid of it, or sell it to get top dollar. Something inbetween?

15. Thread not a rant, or is it?

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

YEA!

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  17. There is a arse for every seat and there are cars that will always be desirable.

We are also living in uncertain times, the economy has taken a hit in the last few months, there are a lot of people that have decided they need to sell but the buyers are not out there as in the past.

I believe it is a buyers market and if you see a car that you are interested, talk to the seller, the price may be higher due to the seller expecting low ball offers but if they really need to sell most will negotiate.

I have sold several cars on the hamb and they were priced to sell, but they were well built cars, I recently sold a 1950 Ford coupe and I wasn't selling it trying to settle the national debt, I needed to sell and it eventually sold, the price was fair and I took a loss because I needed the cash.

Generally, the cars that you consider overpriced are probably very desirable and the owner has invested that or more.

Bottom line, don't worry about what other people buy or sell cars for, it's not important to anyone but the buyer or seller. HRP

Landmule, Budget36, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One thing about the HAMB, it's world wide. That is good, and bad...you see something you like, but it's on the other side of the country...or other side of the world. A lot of folks can afford some of the prices, but when you figure in shipping, sometimes a deal becomes not so good a deal anymore. Buyers tend to be more local , not as many people on the east coast will buy a car from the west coast as will buy a car that is a state or two away from them. I agree, some are just fishing to see how much response they can get, some are trying to recoup their entire investment, and some are just out of their minds.

19. Agree....one of my other sites - mopar - actually closes it after a 30 day run - you have to re sumit it again.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  20. SR100

SR100

Wow, what an overreaction.
    I don't sell on here, nor do I know where people with $100K+ to spend look (Facebook, maybe?). I rarely spend much time in the classifieds. All of the ancient ads bumped repeatedly make it a pain to go through. There is also an assumption that there must be something wrong with a car in the classifieds if it hasn't sold in years.
    I looked up your ads out of curiosity. Advertising a $125K roadster without a single photo is a bold choice... I went to HotrodCraft.com to see what your car looked like, and there is no car for sale there matching your description. Its a buyer's market. Every obstacle (even small ones) placed in front of the buyer will eliminate parts of your buyers pool. Most would not have bothered going as far as I did.
    On the whole, I would support a time limit on car ads, maybe a year. Parts ads are a little different. There are a number of ads for fairly specific parts, ones which have a very small market (you have a couple such ads). They might take a long time to sell, but would be a win for that one builder.
    Having moderators reboot ads seems like a poor use of their time.

5window and Gasser 57 like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A builder wants his invested money , wants his labor and wants a profit. Now a days a rolling chassis goes for good money . Add a body etc . etc. and it keeps adding up. The regular joe list his car that has the same items and he is supposed to sell cheap and usually doesn’t count labor. So, what’s a regular joe to do?

Budget36 likes this.
  22. rivguy

rivguy

I've sold some cars, motorcycles and a few parts like wheels on Craig's List. I always price them at a level that will attract buyer's interest. When I'm looking at cars for sale I scroll right by anything that is clearly overpriced. I don't want to deal with someone that is asking twice what something is actually worth. Still, it is always a buyer's market. Nobody has to pay more than they feel is fair. I agree with contacting the seller and making a fair offer. They don't have to accept the offer. I don't like dealing with idiots but they are always a part of the process! I have always believed in dealing with everyone in Good Faith. I'm probably going to sell a couple of cars in the coming months. They aren't especially desirable or valuable and if I really expect to sell them I'll have to let the market will set the price.

waxhead and Tomincanada like this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I really enjoy these type topics as the views are so different. I can't ever criticize any ads unless I go and look at the item for sale. For instance, Krylon32's cars are not pieced together junk or made from rust buckets, his workmanship is top level and their are people who desire that kind of car. I love his level of build but I must say that I don't want to spend that much for a beautiful 32 pickup but that doesn't mean the truck isn't worth the asking price just because the truck isn't selling right away. The last car that I bought was a nice stock 40 Ford original coupe with slight mods and I would have loved to have bought it for $10k or $15K but there was no way that was going to happen. So people can ask what they want and try and sell it for as long as they want, it doesn't matter. I enjoy looking at the ads and dreaming.

25. clem

clem

Well said !

26. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’ve had three cars for sale in the last few years. Still have em. Nothing but a handful of really lowball offers. Not over priced by any means. Just trying to get my money back. I have come to the realization that hot rodding is a great way to loose money. Build what you want and enjoy. Every new car I have bought has been a waste of money. Why should I think I should get my investments back in the first place.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have a OT muscle car posted up for preferably a trade or a offer reasonably close to my investment - through ad on craigslist was contacted by a professional buy/sell classic foreign cars shop in my general area - said that they are interested in buying but, suggested that if I do not need to sell now that should wait for the Covid-19 situation to settle down and try then - I casually check cars For Sale on a couple of sites - do not see anyone selling low - basic driver or project are low - pro-built types going high - when contacted by someone and all they want info on is price I do not respond -

28. squirrel

squirrel

That's the whole problem, in a nutshell.

The guys buying cars really don't give a flying f how much you spent on the car. It's worth to them, what it's worth to them. If you don't want to take what the buyers value it, then you won't sell the car. Pretty simple.

29. On CL up here, everyone is still on their spring “premium asking price” crack high. As if the world was still normal. In the end, if this ends up looking anything like 2008, in the winter/spring with the second Covid surge/economic shut down on us, people will have to adjust their expectations. I know that overall the economy was booming for the last 7 years, but for me (and lots of others) things never went back to pre-2008.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RRanchero Rick and ramblin dan like this.
  30. wvenfield

wvenfield

There are many places to list cars for sale. If you are just listing here you are missing out on a ton of exposure. I still have good luck on Craigslist. While Facebook sucks, Facebook marketplace is a good place to list. Yeah, you have to deal with people asking dumb questions but you either want to sell or not.

I listed some manifolds here and not a single response. I got a ton on Facebook.

31hotrodguy, ramblin dan and swade41 like this.