Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars for sale, or are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, May 8, 2020.

1. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

In the past days of social distancing and the stay-at-home orders, I've scrolled through every car for sale listed in the classified. And this activity has gotten me to thinking when exactly does the light come on for the people listing some of these cars that maybe their price isn't realistic? Say you've BTTT'D it 40 times in 5 years and it's been viewed 20,000 times or so. What is the point here, I've got to be missing something. To me, an ad on this website will get your car in front of the right people, right now. If it doesn't get a response in a few days to a month, you ain't got it priced to sell, or it's not desirable. Maybe these types just like to see a picture of their car online. I don't know, you know?

Greaser Bob, bchctybob, BigO and 26 others like this.
  2. I got a car in the class ads that is not priced right for damned sure. But usually don't say much if they see a car that is priced less than it is worth. :D

The prices in the class ads are all over the board. The one that gets me is you see a pair of deuces in a row, 20,ooo difference in price and if you watch the one that is over priced is the one that sells.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Guy's wife keeps nagging him about having too many cars, ok dear I will sell some, list for twice what they are worth, see dear I am selling them (not).

Or may be they are dreamers

Or maybe they have a lot "invested". Like the guy who was trying to sell a 56 Packard with a Buick motor. He paid $3500 for the car and $4500 for someone to put in the Buick engine and trans, so in his mind he had an $8000 car ( $3500+$4500 = $8000)
    Mathematically correct, he got sore as hell when I offered $2500. Put it on Ebay - top bid, $2200.

There are a million stories in the old car world a lot of them don't make much sense.

Jet96, jakespeed63, FlatJan and 21 others like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well someone can make me an offer . So give me one .:)

1934coupe, 62rebel and porknbeaner like this.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This kind of thread pops up about once a month. My suggestion is if you see a car you like but it's priced too high (in your opinion), contact the seller and offer what you think it's worth (assuming you actually have money to buy). Then come back here and report what the seller said to you.

Steves46, Tman, redoxide and 11 others like this.
  6. I grew up in a tourist area, every summer houses would go up for sale for a ridiculous price, they didn’t care if they sold. If someone paid what they wanted, bonus, if not oh well. Nothing wrong with setting a price high if you don’t really care if it sells, no one has to pay it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Well I can't afford to go to Oregon to get it (although I would like to see my kid) so I'll offer you a dollar and a half. LOL

there is an upside to that too. If I can't afford to get there I won't have to have knuckle sammich for insulting you. :D

@41rodderz is absolutely correct here. I never consider a price on anything to be carved in stone. hell I don't always pay retail in a store. Don't like the price and are interested make an offer. it may work or it may not but it costs nothing and if you are polite you won't probably even make an enemy.

31hotrodguy, Thor1, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  8. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I do not claim to be an expert...But I believe starting high and coming down in price works better than doing it the other way around. Just a thought.

9. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

If I'm in the market for a certain car I'll look for one on the HAMB. I'll contact the seller and feel them out to see if I think they want to sell. Then I'll go see the car.
    If the asking price in the ad is stupid high, I won't bother with it, I'll stay home.

31hotrodguy and Hombre like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

One stipulation . You are obligated to accept my delivery fees . :p

raven likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If I received a fair offer for my '27 T it would be sold . Like stated above , doesn't hurt to ask .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Well I think we made a deal. o_O :D :D :D

41rodderz likes this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Agree w/Beaner, round these parts (Northeast) $2500 gets you a pile, of dented, rusted to a fare-thee-well, once Was a car panels.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

It,s like the ad On FordBarn for the 32 Vicky.
    The ad has been running since 12/05/12.
    7 1/2 years
    He wants you to bring $35,000 cash to him in Mexico.
    You are right,some people are just fishing to see if they can land a sucker

15. For the same reason people put their cars in auctions with very high reserves.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I’m reasonable and everyone else is out of their minds . :D

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Vonn Ditch:
    I agree with you and at the same time feel sorry for the guy with the Willy's for sale for the past few years who just seems to think that the right person has never seen his ad even though it had been shown for years.
    Just my opinion but when people see the same car for sale for years you start to wonder what's wrong with it that no one buy's it. Maybe nothing is really wrong it other then the price.

Maybe it just an older build car that no longer meets current drag racing standards or maybe the chassis cannot be re-certified but the longer you see certain ads you start to wonder why it is not selling.

Jimbo

bchctybob, Gasser 57 and Hnstray like this.
  18. Buy high, sell low, make it up on volume has generally been my mantra...

You see it all the time... Gold chainers who think they'll get their money back and sometimes do if selling to another gold chainer (they do both speak the same language).

Fishing for idiots... works just often enough to keep the market active.

Guys who watch TV auctions and think their rusted hulk is worth 1/2 of what the TV car is...

This is what makes it interesting when looking for a car. Sure, you'll waste time some places, wish you had extra bucks occasionally, and once in a while find that gem. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Roothawg, DouginIA, bchctybob and 9 others like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it is all very simple, just need a good seller with the right ride at the right price at the right place at the right time with the right good buyer - no guarantee on how to make all of this happen

loudbang, 41rodderz, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  20. 62rebel

62rebel

Getting it delivered is becoming more of an issue lately. Been watching a couple of deals but lockdown is holding up delivery, so I don't want to commit myself to buying anything

chopped likes this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

22. I just try to buy good deals that aren't advertised. :D At least that is what has worked for me so far...

1959Nomad likes this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

More often is the dreaded "Oh Noes, the Bottom Has Fallen Out of the Classic Car Market" threads.

31hotrodguy, clem and lurker mick like this.
  24. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

If you have btt your ad 254 times without a close offer? "Here's your sign"

25. no55mad

no55mad

There was a glass 34 3 window Ford for sale here. Hemi, 700r4, professional build. Price was lowered several times, no takers. An old car dealer low balled and bought it, jacked up the price much higher than was ever advertised here, and sold it immediately. The old car for sale magazines list some crazy high prices; somebody is buying. Maybe HAMB'ers are more builders than buyers. Many people have never heard of the HAMB; maybe outsiders think this is an outlaw group :). Flippers are the worst to deal with; some very rude people!

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Texas57, pitman, Rogue_Rider and 2 others like this.
  26. I hate to pick on the poor fella but there is a project 38 Ford Coupe in the classifieds for $10k that has been there for YEARS. Maybe he's waiting for the value to catch up to his price.

27. Some people are out to lunch on there pricing yes.

but more often it’s the buyer who wants it for 0.05 cents on the dollar.

been trying to sell my merc as I’m movin to a house with a one car garage.

the amount of stupid offers I’ve got is ridiculous!!!
    less then 1/2 my asking price “ but in cash !!”
    Cmon!

when I sold my 69 Lincoln it took about6 months, as it’s a big boat, not exactly the desirable year of the suicide door Lincoln’s but I waited and it sold to a fellow gear head who saw the value in the car.

my Buick sold in 5 days as it was priced correctly and a Buick nut found it and loved it.

my 50 Chevy would not sell complete, parted it out
    Sold it as a roller and drivetrain separately and my parts stash separately
    And made 5X times what I wanted as a complete lot.

I dunno, I guess what ever works.

But I do see some stuff commanding stupid money and the adds sit for ever.
    Might just want to see what’s out there n trying to make friends.

28. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Some of the other car forums I'm on have started automatically locking/closing For Sale ads once they hit 91 days.

Forces the habitual BTT Sellers to redo and hopefully "rethink" their ads.

29. pitman

pitman

Reading about delivery, of a car 'similar' to what was shown! Suppose even 'matching' VIN's are possible.