Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock 500 fuel pressure.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodmano, May 8, 2020.

1. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

I have an early 80s 305 Chevy engine in my 48 Ford. And a Edelbrick 500 manual choke carb. Lately I have had some issues with the Edelbrock gravity fed pushpump. It doesnt deliver. Its located under and about the in the middle of the car and as far down on the frame as possible. Aspecially troubeled after I lowered the car further down in the rear.
    ..so I changed to an electrical sucking pump in the engine bay. Its one of those el cheapo pumps that deliveres max about 0,3 bar or 4,3 psi. It ran good at first but now, after maybe 4 - 5 hours of driving, that one has started to mess things up too. It doesnt deliver fuel at all when the car has been parked a day or so. I took it out and checked the pump on my bench and it gives fuel...but when I put it back I must run full choke and give the carb a drink too. Then...maybe it starts...but most often it doesnt.
    Is the fuelpump rubbish? Should I go for a pump with a bit more pressure? In that case, how much?
    And...as an emergency solution now before I upgrade, can I combine the two pumps?. Pushing from behind and sucking in the front
    Replies aprecciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Edelbrock carbs do not like higher fuel pressure- 4-6 lbs max. You mentioned you bought a cheap electric pump- maybe you got what you paid for. If there is no room for a mechanical pump on the block you can use a decent electric pusher at the fuel tank with a pressure regulator set no higher than 4-6 psi.
    If you have room for the mechanical pump- use the matching Edelbrock fuel pump and enjoy the ride.

da34guy likes this.
  3. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Thanks. There is no room for a mechanical pump on the block. So I guess a better electrical close to the tank but should the pressure regulator be in the engine bay...close to the carb?

4. Good pusher pump as close 2 tank as possible, pressure reg mounted in engine bay as close to carb as possible always works best

catdad49 likes this.

5. I have done it that way- had the regulator in line in the engine bay and it worked fine-I had a pressure gauge at the carb- some regulators have pre- set increments of pressure indicated on the body of the regulator - mine didn’t so I used a gauge. Worked fine- the only thing I would consider if going that way again is to plumb in a return line ( by-pass)to the tank from the regulator so the pump isn’t sitting there ‘deadheading’ all the time.

6. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Ok. I went back to the edelbrock gravity pump for now. It works fine when tank is over half full..it says 4 to 7 psi on it so its in the area. Ill probably move it back towards the tank and ad a return and fuel regulator. Thanks.

7. Most, if not all fuel pumps, are primarily designed to push liquid fuel efficiently. None of them really tend to work as well at drawing air on the suction side when attempting to pull liquid fuel. That's why it's always recommended to mount electric pumps near the tank and below the tank's fuel level.

Also make sure you're not fighting a tank venting problem.

Asphalt Angel likes this.