Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 chevy coupe rear end

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by chevy coupe person, May 5, 2020.

1. Hello I'm doing the 235 swap in my coupe finally found a good running engine. But here is my question I'm thinking of getting rid of the torque tube drive even though I just put in brand new everything in it accept the rear gears now I'm wondering if there is a center chunk that'll bolt right into my housing I know I have to use either a adapter for my car belhousing or use 54 truck belhousing with i have but I really don't want to change the whole rear axle unless I definently have to thank you..

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Introduction?

yoothgeye likes this.
  3. Can u help me lol I'm kinda stuck I'm new to this asking questions on the hamb page

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Sure, I'll try but you gotta know that I'm about 8 years away from rotary dial :). Others might chime in.
    Open the H.A.M.B.
    Find General discussion
    Click Hokey Ass Message Board
    On the right side you'll find a red button-click- Post New Thread
    Now you can create a title (the one you used here will work just fine)
    Click the blank page below and add your text.
    When you are satisfied with your message, click the Blue button- create thread.

I apologize for being short with you in my previous post. I guess that I'm getting old and cranky as I've been told by a RUDE person.
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

rbrewer and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. You might also want to add a general location to your profile page. Who knows, there could be someone close by who has done this process and could even lend a hand. That's the beauty of the HAMB. Welcome and good luck with your project going forward....Don.

rbrewer likes this.
  6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. What I did on my 46 Chevy Coupe with the tricked out 235 engine when I went to a T350 Tranny was use a 57 Chevy pickup rear end from local auto salvage. The 57 trucks had a very wide range of gear ratio's so it was easy to find what I wanted at the auto salvage. This 57 rear end was about 1/2" wider but that was no problem with the fat fenders on the 46. We had to relocate axel spring and shock mounts. The pickup had the correct bolt pattern and my 46 wheels just mounted right up. Also when mounting the axel spring mounts we drilled new pin hole in them to slightly move the rear end & wheels rearward. This was done to center everything in the wheel openings of the fenders and the coups always seemed to have the original rear ends slightly forward there to using the same frame on all the passenger cars. then I had correct drive shaft made.
    Jimmie

rbrewer likes this.