Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolbeans, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koolbeans

koolbeans

Mimilan and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll make some popcorn and buckle my seat belt.

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, I'll start.
    They had a bad reputation awhile back but I'm using their Extra-Guard filters on all my cars right now.

47ragtop likes this.
  5. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Last time I used one...all of my connecting rods hit the cam lobes....

270ci, Jet96, GeezersP15 and 14 others like this.
  6. egads

egads

Food for thought and lots more.

7. Reason #26........
    They print the label upsidedown so it looks funny on your firewall.

8. egads

egads

O'Reilly Auto Part's has stopped selling Fram product's because of so many problem's, and they only sell crap. What does that tell you.

9. Fram has a long history of making crap that's no better than minimum, sometimes not even that.

A number of years ago Harley switched from K&N to Fram filters for their 'Screaming Eagle' air filter kits. Harley was forced to recall some of them because the filter was disintegrating in use and going through the motors!

When Ford was forced to sell off their Autolite spark plug line due to anti-trust concerns (they had such a superior product that they had almost completely taken over the market), they sold out to Fram (Allied Signal, the parent company). Being properly chastised, Ford continued to buy plugs from them for their production line... until they started getting warranty issues, then they quietly went back into the business under the Motorcraft name. For a while, if you bought 8 Fram-made Autolite plugs, chances were even that at least one would fail within a 1000 miles if not sooner. Between the loss of sales to Ford and plummeting over-the-counter sales as word got out, Fram realized that they had to improve quality or lose their investment. They did improve things, and for a while offered 'lifetime warranty' on the plugs to lure people back. They seem to be decent plugs again, whether they're as good as they were is unlikely.

As a side note, after Ford got Motorcraft plug production up enough to be able to sell in the aftermarket, they quietly started selling there again. Same thing happened; they started getting too much market share (according to the other manufacturers), the feds stepped in again, and Ford withdrew mostly from the aftermarket. You can occasionally find their plugs at independent dealers, but it most cases you'll need to go to the Ford dealer.

10. He he he he he he ,,,,,,,,just wait till this gets around !
    What a time we will have ,,,he he he !

By the way,,,,,,I use them exclusively,,,but wait for the other opinions.

Tommy

jimgoetz and egads like this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok for what it's worth.........when you change filters, make absolutely sure the rubber o ring gasket came out with the filter. Ask me how I know! :(

550Coupe, Cosmo50, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  12. Really? It's been a while since I've been in one, but that is a telling statement...

13. jim snow

jim snow

This horse has been beat to death.jmho. Snowman

14. Do an internet search on Fram oil filters. Preferably before you install one on your expensive hot rod engine.

egads likes this.
  15. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^
    Then brought back to life and beaten several more times.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

16. lake_harley

lake_harley

I guess my OT daily doesn't read gloom and doom reports, since it's made it 360,000 miles on mostly Fram filters.

Lynn

Fitty Toomuch, Jet96, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  17. finn

finn

Lots of unsubstantiated rumors here .

But it is the internet, after all, so it’s to be expected.

I doubt some counter jockey at an O’riley’s in podunk Iowa knows why they stopped selling a product line.

18. Budget36

Budget36

You'll die, your car will go up in a ball of flames, 5 quarts of oil spilling across the road, little minibus of school children in it go out of control. All die.

Or, they might be better than a roll of toilet paper? Then you'll live, car will not go up in flames, oil will be kept in the crank case, young children will live.

Have we talked about Area 51 lately?

19. I wouldn't use one on any of my cars/ HRP

TA DAD, triumph 1, Montana1 and 4 others like this.
  20. I don’t like the color.
    WIX filters just look better.

21. egads

egads

How is this a rumor? Ask the manager at your local " Podunk Mi." store and he will tell you why. Go online and try to buy Fram product's there--not in stock in store --out of stock online--.

gimpyshotrods, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  22. Oh yeah,,,,gaining speed now,,,it won’t be long and the name calling will happen,,,,LoL.

Tommy

jimgoetz, Jet96, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I suspect that if you consistently change your oil and filter every 3 months or every 2,000 miles, any filter that holds oil will probably work for a long time. However, if you change your oil once a year and every 10,000 miles, most off the shelf filters will probably be blamed for the trouble coming in 60,000 -80,000 miles. I change the oil on my stuff somewhere between those 2 examples.
    That said, I don't run Fram filters on my stuff anymore. I believe you need to cut a new Fram, and say, a new Wix open yourself to understand. Gene

triumph 1, warbird1, ClayMart and 2 others like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

It must be true . I read it on the internet.

Budget36 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. Falfa may have beat Milner but he had a Fram filter on that 55. And we all know how that ended.:rolleyes::D

26. egads

egads

If you used a Wix, only 2 or 3 would of hit the cam.:):)

27. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Name calling? No one did that you Mr. Poopy head;)

28. BJR

BJR

After watching the video of the cut apart filters, any thinking person can tell which filter is better.

triumph 1, Cosmo50, Charlie K and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.